Grizzly Attack in Yellowstone Park

This is a discussion on Grizzly Attack in Yellowstone Park within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just read the story on CNN.com, rangers say they won't track the bear down or kill it! A couple surprised the mother and cubs. Tried ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Grizzly Attack in Yellowstone Park

Exclamation Grizzly Attack in Yellowstone Park

Just read the story on CNN.com, rangers say they won't track the bear down or kill it!
    A couple surprised the mother and cubs. Tried to get away but the bear was already at full charge. I'm not sure if you can carry in National parks or not but would it have been wrong to shoot the bear?
    I mean you are already retreating and in fear for yours and spouses life. What are you suppose to do?
    I know that I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

2. Remove Ads

I would have shot the bear, but thats alot of pissed off coming your way. Im not sure that I would have enough gun on me for that type of creature. .45 acp is a good round, but not near enough for that mama bear..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

you are allowed to carry in national parks now but yellowstone still forbids you from discharging which completely defies the point of packing but it's like you said, I'd rather pay a $6000 poaching fee(which you can contest) than a $15000 funeral fee.

I think the best options, if confronted with a bear problem is bear spray backed up by a firearm.

I don't think that the prohibition of discharging firearms would hold up if it was done in defense of your life. Killing an animal in defense of your life is not poaching.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

+1 on spray backed up w/firearm. National parks follow state law, Yellowstone is legal for carry.

Why would they track it down and kill it? Sorry, but you go in their territory and you take your chances. Momma wasn't doing anything more than we would do, protect her young. It's not like the bear was walking through town mauling people.

Give me a break.

Tragic for sure, but no need to kill the bear - that's HER house folks.

I suppose you'd want to kill a shark for attacking someone in the ocean too... pathetic.

Shooting in self defense is one thing, tracking it and killing it wouldn't be self defense it would be a senseless killing.

+1 to pepper as a primary, and on everyone in the party. I've read documented cases years ago (long before the internet) about .45acp literally bouncing off the skull of a grizzly (the bear was later killed by rangers and they saw where the scalp had been peeled away by a good shot, but there was no penetration). A mama grizzly with cubs that is charging isn't likely to be stopped with a handgun, but if she comes through the pepper...maybe at least you can get off a few rounds and maybe get a lucky hit on a vital area. As others have said there is a fine for killing a bear in a NP, even if it is self-defense. But if I'm being forced to pay the fine, that means I'm alive - which is a good thing.

Know what kind of bears you're likely to run into - different species react differently to confrontations, situational awareness, make lots of noise, don't be out first thing in the morning or late in the evening...you're in their "house", so you had better play by their rules. In this case, I agree with the decision not to hunt the bear. She was surprised by someone she perceived as a threat and acted in defense of her children.

A very unfortunate incident and my thoughts go out to all involved.

VIP Member
    Very few handguns are suited for defense from a grizzly bear. Best defense is pepper spray and someone who runs much slower than you do!
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ok, so yes you are in their house and have to be aware but at the same time. If you are walking down the street and a viscous dog attacks you the authorities step in and may put the animal down! Ok so they took DNA samples incase this bear is involved again but would you want to take the chance?
    If you were in a similar situation with a BG and you or a family member were seriously hurt or killed you and the authorities would seek that person out! I know that now I'm making comparisons but the basics are still the same, trying to get away but to no avail. Still rather pay the fine and lawyers than to bury someone I love!
    In fact one of them members on here was recently attacked while walking with his wife and the owner only wanted to tie the dog up, after he was bitten IIRC right.
    At what point do we consider the loss of human life for that of an animal acceptable? I'm a dog lover and past breeder that loves going out in the woods where a charging bear or moose could come out of nowhere.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I would have shot the bear, but thats alot of pissed off coming your way. Im not sure that I would have enough gun on me for that type of creature. .45 acp is a good round, but not near enough for that mama bear..
    I agree, but in that case, you gotta give her all you got. I would too.

Thats also one of the reasons I have the 10mm conversion for my G30. For the 4 legged bad guys!
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I agree, but in that case, you gotta give her all you got. I would too.

Thats also one of the reasons I have the 10mm conversion for my G30. For the 4 legged bad guys!
    Same here on carrying a delta elite, but waiting for a double stack Fusion Grand Sport loaded with Double Tap and Buffalo Bore ammo. Want the hardest and heaviest I can carry in a nice package.

Agreed, mama was doing her job....she's a grizzley, in her house.

OTOH, if I was being charged and had my gun...and it would only be a 9mm probably because I'd be carrying to stop people not bears....I would shoot. Might do nothing but make her madder!

This couple made a big mistake. They saw her and the cubs in the distance. They didnt turn around and leave. They kept going. Then next time they saw mama, she was coming for them.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Harleycolt View Post
    Same here on carrying a delta elite, but waiting for a double stack Fusion Grand Sport loaded with Double Tap and Buffalo Bore ammo. Want the hardest and heaviest I can carry in a nice package.
    When I carry 10mm for defense I load with Buffalo Bore 180gr. Its hot stuff!

Do you have that on order?
    I know another on this forum that has a custom Fusion 10mm on order..... must be a trend!

When I go for hikes in the wilderness, I carry for defense against the big critters. The big bullets will stop the 2 legged BG's too.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links