S&w 60 vs sp101

This is a discussion on S&w 60 vs sp101 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all, I've been starting a few threads about the best choices for a CCW and a few people have been suggesting wheel guns. so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: S&w 60 vs sp101

S&w 60 vs sp101

hello all,
    I've been starting a few threads about the best choices for a CCW and a few people have been suggesting wheel guns. so now I'm asking which would probably be a better deal. my brother owns a hammered sp101 in 357 with 3 inch barrel and loves it but I've never had a chance to shoot it.

so for comparison purposes I'll be comparing the

S&W Model 60 which only comes with 2.15 in barrel in .357 and weighs 22 oz with 5rd cylinder
    and the
    Ruger SP101 with 2.25 inch barrel in .357 and weighs 26oz with 5 round cylinder with hammer.

I'm used to shooting a 3 pound xdm45 so a 4 oz difference between 2 (Roughly) 2 pound guns isn't that big of deal for me.
    now I have rules for this post
    1. Opinions are welcome as long as they are factual and not based on personal prejudice
    2. I'm not asking about 1911s or polymer compacts... if you have a recommendation for a similar wheel gun it's fine to post otherwise please see one of my other posts (sr9c vs glock 19 or xdm9 vs fnp9 vs sr9)
    3. no party politics I dont care about S&W being a 150 year old company vs ruger being a 60 year old company and I dont want anyone citing the SR9 trigger recalls as "proof" that ruger is an inferior choice.

that being said...
    go hog wild!!!!
    Last edited by Tahunua001; July 11th, 2011 at 03:46 AM. Reason: clarification

2. Remove Ads

I have a host of guns to choose from for my carry needs, from Autos to revolvers. That being said, my next purchase is going to be the SP101. IMO, it's a work horse and should handle the full house .357 with ease.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    hello all,
    I've been starting a few threads about the best choices for a CCW and a few people have been suggesting wheel guns. so now I'm asking which would probably be a better deal. my brother owns a hammered sp101 in 357 with 3 inch barrel and loves it but I've never had a chance to shoot it.

so for comparison purposes I'll be comparing the

S&W Model 60 which only comes with 2.15 in barrel in .357 and weighs 22 oz with 5rd cylinder
    and the
    Ruger SP101 with 2.25 inch barrel in .357 and weighs 26oz with 5 round cylinder with hammer.

I'm used to shooting a 3 pound xdm45 so a 4 oz difference between 2 (Roughly) 2 pound guns isn't that big of deal for me.
    now I have rules for this post
    1. Opinions are welcome as long as they are factual and not based on personal prejudice
    2. I'm not asking about 1911s or polymer compacts... if you have a recommendation for a similar wheel gun it's fine to post otherwise please see one of my other posts (sr9c vs glock 19 or xdm9 vs fnp9 vs sr9)
    3. no party politics I dont care about S&W being a 150 year old company vs ruger being a 60 year old company and I dont want anyone citing the SR9 trigger recalls as "proof" that ruger is an inferior choice.

that being said...
    go hog wild!!!!
    S&W still lists the 3" model 60 with adjustable sights.

my mistake, still for comparison purposes this is the variant I'm looking at

Well, I have both an all steel J frame Smith .357, and an SP101. The Ruger crosses the line being so large and heavy that I could carry a lot of other guns for that size package. In the Ruger's size class, I can carry a Colt Officer's, with three more rounds, and a more friendly left handed reload. That said, I will go to work today with a Smith in my pocket.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I was considering the exact same choice, and ultimately I chose none of the above. Don't get me wrong, they are both fine pistols, and one of them with a 3" barrel may still be in my distant future. Since I like to pocket carry, I wound up going with a shrouded hammer S&W 649. The hammerless 640 was my other choice, but I found a deal on a no lock used 649.

I was leaning slightly to the 60 before I went with the 649, but you can probably get the Ruger a little cheaper. I think you can get the Ruger with the bobbed hammer, so that might be a consideration. Given the choice between Smith and Ruger, IMHO you cannot make a bad choice. Good luck, and if you can't decide buy 'em both. :-)
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

The extra heft of the SP101 makes it actually fun to shoot and practice .357 rounds, unlike my little Smith 442 or a mousegun. I carry it in my right front pocket or IWB with gym shorts, no problems.

I compared the same two revolvers. I decided with the Ruger because they were more available, and a bit cheaper.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I carry the model 60 as you described. It is a handful with full house .357 loads and the recoil is what you'd expect. I practice with it regularily and have become pretty proficent with it, but I do alternate between .357 and 38 + p to reduce perceived wear and tear. I've not shot the Ruger but I've heard some good things about those also. Good luck in your search.

the sp101 was my first handgun purchase,durable and built like a tank..highly recommend..get the spurless version for concealed carry..
    ladybuckaroo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    the sp101 was my first handgun purchase,durable and built like a tank..highly recommend..get the spurless version for concealed carry..
    I will respectfully disagree. I never have any hang ups drawing my hammered SP from pocket carry. Just like the 1911 guys automatically switch their safeties off when they draw, I cock the hammer, and that SA shot is always more accurate than any DA shot. Plus, it just makes for a more fun practice gun.

Both are fine weapons. Shoot them both and choose the one you like best.

SP101 hands down
    ladybuckaroo and DanielC like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have an SP101 with 2-1/4, and I think it is great. A real little tank of a weapon. Just a tad bit heavy for CC with only 5 rounds. I have never seen an S&W Mod 60, so I cannot realistically compare them. The only knock against the SP101 is the capacity. With things going the way they are, I have replaced my SP101 with a Beretta PX4 Compact for every day carry, only for capacity issues. The SP101 is now my night stand gun because I only need it long enough to get to the shotty. It is also a weapon that takes little thought, so I don't have to mess with safeties and slides if I hear things going bump in the night.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Don't know about the Model 60, but I'm with ICTsnub WRT the Ruger's weight and size - same as my G23 which holds 14 rnds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links