Flying with guns...

This is a discussion on Flying with guns... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently travelled to Nebraska for my neice's wedding, and because we carryon all what we took, I did not bring my CCW with me. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Flying with guns...

Flying with guns...

I recently travelled to Nebraska for my neice's wedding, and because we carryon all what we took, I did not bring my CCW with me.
    Now, heres a situation which may have gotten me in some deep $hit.
    We flew United Air from Orlando to Chicage (O'hare) and was supposed to catch a connecing united flight to Lincoln. Long story short, the fligh to Lincoln was cancelled. we got stuck in Chicago overnight and flew to lincoln the next AM (thru Delta). IF I had taken my gun in checked bagage, they would have given me my bags and I would have taken them to the hotel with me, and then had to go thru the check inwith firearms at O'hare, in a state where CCW, an possibly handgun ownership, is NOT allowed. I do have a Florida resident permit. Would I have had a problem?

PS: Don't fly US AIr. They are no longer the friendly skys they used to advertise. They don't care when they cancel a flight and screw up your vacation. The flight was cancelled and I looked at the radar/weather map and tere was no good reason. Maybe, the flight was underbooked and cancelled for monitary reasons; I don't know. The personnel at O'hare were nasty to me and to others trying to get where they were supposed to take us.

2. Remove Ads

NEVER fly thru O'Hare. Midway is pretty good. From Orlando, take Southwest to Omaha, it's ony 55 miles to Lincoln, plus pretty good chance you will always be on time and probably cheaper. Plus SWA is pretty good with checking firearms.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    You have a statutory right to travel through Illinois with your firearms unloaded, cased, and locked. I don't see how being delayed by an airline changes this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Google Revell vs Port Authority of NY and NJ. SCOTUS ruled that if you are delayed and take posession of your luggage, you now have ACCESS to your weapon and have NO FOPA protection. If you are in this position, make arrangements with the airline to secure your bag in the terminal.

I have attached a DOJ ruling on FOPA and NY airports. Applies to others as well I would think.

Bottom line-held overnight?. Don't get your bag.
    Attached Files

I have traveled thru JFK several times. Most times in goes without a problem. Once I had a Port Authority officer call Nassau county pistol license. (There is a post here).The officer could not understand that there is no law in Nevada making open carry ilegal so buy default it is legal. Since I was legal in Nassau and going to Nevada where I was legal. I was good to go. In the officers defense he got some bad info from NCPD.

Last time I flew I gave the officer my Nassau County License and letter he said" This would be a defense to an arrest, but I can see you are legit so have a good flight"
    I replied "Thanks."

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    You have a statutory right to travel through Illinois with your firearms unloaded, cased, and locked. I don't see how being delayed by an airline changes this.
    INAL but:

The problem is not the delay. It is taking possession of your handguns in a state where you do not have the right to possess them. The problem also exists in Ny and NJ. There are several cases extant in which people got stuck there, took posession of their guns and were arrested and ended up in Jail. Reboarding the plane with your guns in tow would also be a violation since you did not have a license in NJ, NY or IL.

Your only hope would be to NOT stop in IL, rent a car at the airport and drive out of the state. You might get away with that if you remained in transit and didn't stop over night. NY is a prime example of this. Because of federal law you can transport across the state without stopping but if you stop for food or gas, and especially if you stop overnight, you may be arrested.

There is a lesson to be learned here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

just a side note for doctorbob...... i posess a kansas ccw. license and all that i have researched .it states that nj honers my kansas ccw. where ny. and ill does not. from what i have read it depends on witch state you are licensed out of. it states that i am legal in only 38 states

Don't know where you researched but it's wrong. NJ does not honor any other states' permit

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    tell that to the guy who in a similar situation was arrested, jailed for a few nights and had his collection confiscated. if flying avoid at all costs flying to/through gun unfriendly places like IL NY NJ MA MD

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshoter View Post
    just a side note for doctorbob...... i posess a kansas ccw. license and all that i have researched .it states that nj honers my kansas ccw. where ny. and ill does not. from what i have read it depends on witch state you are licensed out of. it states that i am legal in only 38 states
    see my post regarding an incident in NJ, NJ is one of the most gun unfriendly place in the US. NJ does not honor any out of state permits and rarely issues any permits to it's residents

Google Revell vs Port Authority of NY and NJ

See post #4.

VIP Member
    Better to leave Your bag over night and hope it is not stole or the firearm is not stole out of it by the good upstanding people that work there. (Some not all). Either way it could be bad for You.

I lock my firearm case into my suitcase with a security cable and padlock. If they want the gun, they gotta drag the suitcase with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshoter View Post
    I think you'd better check this out with a lawyer. handgunlaw.us indicates that KS is not recognized by NJ, NY, most of the middle atlantic and new england states.

Look at: http://handgunlaw.us/states/kansas.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links