Printing in the wind

This is a discussion on Printing in the wind within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently started carrying a M&P9c recently tucked in a comp-tac ctac holster. When I'm out walking or jogging, I've noticed that frequently a tail ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Printing in the wind

Printing in the wind

I've recently started carrying a M&P9c recently tucked in a comp-tac ctac holster. When I'm out walking or jogging, I've noticed that frequently a tail wind will blow my tshirt tight against my back, causing the gun to print badly.

Has anyone discovered a solution to this problem?

2. Remove Ads

That's some mighty strong wind to cause the shirt to make an 'outline' of the gun.
    Depending upon the state, the cop, the MWAG call and the law, you might want to re-figure the wardrobe...larger print shirt or a cover vest could help.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Forgive me for a hint of sarcasm but if this is a problem for you, find an alternate. This is not rocket science. Look in a mirror, look at your clothes, see what kind of clothes others wear, read the forums for ideas on clothes or put your holster somewhere else or get a new holster. There are many places a firearm can be hidden from printing and there are many kinds of clothes and locations of holsters that will ensure no printing.

VIP Member
    Just another issue to deal with. This is why we say dress around the gun.

Medium and large framed guns don't always work well with t-shirts unless they are a bit large.

Personally, I don't worry if I print a little in that situation. In high wind or rain/snow, most folks are walking with their heads down and are not paying the slightest attention to what you have under your shirt.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

SmartCarry, if you do print nobody will notice. :)

What works for me, and I'm super anal about printing (just because).

A un-tucked loose plaid shirt is very anti-print, having a pattern on clothing is better than solid.

If utilizing strong side IWB, I carry at 3:00 with a forward cant (Blade-Tech UCH), keeps the pistol grip tight against my side; I can lean forward quite a bit without any printing (Colt Lightweight Commander).

Appendix carry with a pistol having a height of about 4'' or less (Glock 26,27,33) worn just to the right of zipper in a FIST kydex clip-on and just about any loose untucked shirt works very well for me.

Smartcarry when I'm wearing gymshorts and loose untucked t-shirt easily carry a Glock 36 and extra magazine with near zero worry about printing.

If the shirt is tucked in (which I hate and I still do not like them tight) I'm automatically limited to pocket carry with a P3AT or Ruger LCP.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Larger shirts may help.

If you are comitted to stong-side carry, try moving the holster a little further forward so that the gun grip is under your arm.

If you are more adventurous, try Appendix carry. Tailwinds will not affect you at all, and I have never found headwinds to be a problem.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Personally, I don't worry if I print a little in that situation. In high wind or rain/snow, most folks are walking with their heads down and are not paying the slightest attention to what you have under your shirt. by roadrunner says it all. I could care less if i print a little and I don't think you will be hauled in when its 30mph winds because you printed for a few seconds.

Printing is over thought. You can pack a lot of gun before anyone other than yourself begins to notice, and even then, they don't automatically assume gun, and even then, who cares. I can't imagine any sane person calling police to report "man with a large covered bulge on his hip that might be a gun".
    I was scared to death to ever use my Safepacker at first, now I don't even think about it.
    I used to think my G26 was huge on my hip, obvious as the day was long. Pssshaw! Now I wear my G23 IWB all day long.
    My SP101 in a pocket holster right front pocket is completely obvious to me in the mirror. I was at a buddy's house and he asked me something about wheelies, I pulled it out to show him, and he was shocked I carried it in my pocket. Never saw it.
    Don't worry. Be safe. No one sees it.

Stop walking and running, you trying to end up dying of nothing? If you really need to run you should have drawn your pistol and wouldn't need to worry about printing at that point.

Yes I'm in shape, round is a shape.
    CowboyColby likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I agree with Yankeejib. For many many years I was always scared to death of printing. It was only recently (and I made a separate thread about it) that I realized nobody notices but me. In fact, I have been wearing my OWB Paddle holster with my Glock 19 quite a lot the last week or two, which used to freak me out because it prints a lot more than an IWB holster. But I've discovered that nobody notices it. I've attended several family and friend gatherings and have waited until several hours into the events to ask certain people if they noticed my gun printing. Nobody did.

On the other hand.. if for some reason it started to rain, or you ran through a sprinkler or something, there might be a problem.

I've come to realize that printing and general snags are totally missed by everyone around me. My dad knows I have my permit, and after a birthday party for my niece, after chasing kids around the yard, pushing kids on swings, crashing on a large lawn blanket and sitting on the ground, nobody had noticed my 1911 under my shirt. My dad was surprised when I informed him that I was carrying, even more so when he heard it wasn't my teeny .38.

Last night I was out shopping wearing a white tshirt with a little print on the front, and my OWB Kydex holster for my .38 Bodyguard. I could make out the black shape through the shirt, but didn't sweat it; nobody noticed, and by acting like it was nothing, I didn't draw attention to it. If you move normally, don't constantly pat the area down or fix your shirt nonstop, people don't even think twice about it.

mkh
    Printing is something to be avoided as much as possible but as others said, no one notices anyway. Using a plaid shirt or any shirt that has a small pattern really helps break up the outline of the weapon.

In Florida printing is not illegal and even a brief exposure (such as the wind blowing your short open) is not illegal.

I am new to carrying and all the time i have been carrying it seems like i am always printing but nobody i ask notices and i hope that it helps when i get a new holster i just have a cheap leather iwb with no adjustment at all will probably be ordering a kholster this week sometime and hopefully that will hide it even better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links