Question for FL permit holders

This is a discussion on Question for FL permit holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you have a CCW permit and your in your vehicle (running errands) can the weapon still be on your person (loaded) or does it ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By apvbguy
  • 2 Post By Yankeejib
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By DoctorBob

Thread: Question for FL permit holders

Question for FL permit holders

If you have a CCW permit and your in your vehicle (running errands) can the weapon still be on your person (loaded) or does it has to be stored an another area (trunk/glove department/etc)? Just want to make sure I am understanding it, once you get inside your car you have to place the weapon in the glove department/trunk/etc according to the handgunlaw site.FL resident.

Thanks,

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retnavy View Post
    If you have a CCW permit and your in your vehicle (running errands) can the weapon still be on your person (loaded) or does it has to be stored an another area (trunk/glove department/etc)? Just want to make sure I am understanding it, once you get inside your car you have to place the weapon in the glove department/trunk/etc according to the handgunlaw site.FL resident.

Thanks,
    if you have a cwfl you can carry your weapon on you or any where in the car you want as long as it is NOT in plain site, to recap it is a concealed weapons license and the gun must be concealed regardless of it being on your hip or on the seat next to you. covering the gun with a hat or a towel does the job
    retnavy and JOHNSMITH like this.

Florida is one of the best carry states. Most regulations favor the CWP'er. I believe the handgun.us paragraph you reference is for people without permits. If so, it's an outdated clause (rare on hglaw.us). You can carry a loaded gun in a car without a permit as long as it's cased. With your license, do whatever you want.

790.25 (5)(5) Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons

It is not necessary to have a license or permit to carry a loaded firearm in a private vehicle, so long as the gun is "securely encased". Florida law defines a weapon as being securely encased if the firearm is in a glove compartment, whether or not locked, in a snapped holster (not worn on your body!), in a zippered gun case or in a box or other container that requires a lid or cover to be lifted or opened in order to gain access to the firearm. These restrictions do not apply to any person who holds a valid Florida Concealed Weapon License or a reciprocal state license/permit.
    retnavy and SHayha like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Anyone who can legally possess a handgun in FL can carry that firearm "concealed" inside a "private conveyance" (a privately owned vehicle, not public tranportation [bus, cab, etc.])as long as it's securely encased. Snapped holster, closed glovebox or console, zipped case, etc. Only those with CC permits can conceal that firearm on their person inside the car.

So you can carry a handgun in a snapped holster anywhere inside the car (although some uneducated LEOs will argue that), in a closed (not locked) glovebox or console compartment, a closed and latched guncase, a zippered case, or anything else that meets the state's definition of "securely encased." Simply said, in something that has to be opened before the firearm can be used.
    retnavy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Usually, I just have my EDC on my hip, and covered by my shirt. When driving around in our convertible, I sometimes take an extra firearm along (Ruger SP101/.357) and tuck it between the seat and console with my ball cap over it...plenty legal here in FL if you have a permit.
    retnavy likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Spend a few bucks and get John Gutmacher's book about FL Gun Laws. He also has a blog link on the site that heps you keep up with changes. It is well worth the $$ and the time to read his book. Then, copy his phone number into your phone memory in case you should ever need someone like him...

CRIMINAL DEFENSE SERVICES BLOG by Orlando Criminal Defense Attorney JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.
    retnavy likes this.

Links