Irony of Store Posting

This is a discussion on Irony of Store Posting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I encoutnered the first establishment in my area today that is posted, Magic Mart, and it says "No Weapons." Ironically, this store sells "Weapons." A ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Irony of Store Posting

Irony of Store Posting

I encoutnered the first establishment in my area today that is posted, Magic Mart, and it says "No Weapons." Ironically, this store sells "Weapons." A huge display of knives and daggers (some very large), oh and they sell holsters, targets, gun cases, and gun cleaning supplies too. I just thought that was ironic...and moronic. So, one can't bring a knife into the store but can buy one in the store. I thought about engaging in a conversation with the manager, but I was in a hurry. Looked online and there's no contact information listed. Perhaps a conversation for another day. Not a big deal for me since this was likely just the second time I've ever entered the store, but the manager may find it interesting that they are telling over 3,000 people in this general area to take their money elsewhere. Also not a big deal since posting does not have force of law in VA (just a simple trespass if you refuse to leave). Just thought I would share the irony.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, I hear you. I was going in to a pawn shop the other day that does FFL transfers, and the had a sign with 4 inch letters that said "No Concealed Weapsons". I paused and almost went back to my car to put up my gun. Then I remembered I am in Texas, and that sign is not even close to being legal! I went on in with my concealed pistol and didn't worry about it.
    bps3040 likes this.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

in texas if the sign wasn't in compliance with 30.06 it is meaningless

I have found gun and ammo stores all over the country have those signs many times. They don't want people coming in and presenting or mishandling loaded weapons. Just be sure you know your local laws. The sign is meaningless in FL, but carries legal weight in NC. My local range/shop has a BIG sign, "Please wait and let us clear your weapon". Can't really blame them. What percentage of people that walk in the door are complete morons?

It is super rare in my area to see any place posted, and the posting is not force of law so no legal issues there. After hanging out in local gun shops and seeing the idiotic behavior of some people I can understand why some gun shops post. This store is like a small wal mart wannabe that doesn't sell guns. They say no weapons, but sell knives that would make Crocadile Dundee say, "Now THAT's a knife!!!"
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Biggest irony I've run across recently is that Bowie knives are illegal in Texas. Here I thought that was the state knife and it's illegal!

The Gander Mtn., Bass Pro, and Cabela's in the Harrisburg, PA area have signs saying something along the lines of "All firearms and bows must be zip tied at the customer service desk upon entry. Concealed carry is exempt."

I wouldn't be able to enter the store after eating a super burrito,I become a deadly weapon and never know when I might have an AD
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You and me both, Dukalmighty!!
    NRA Member
    Ruger LC9
    Taurus PT92 AF
    Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (2)
    If you are going to shoot at Mimes, should you use a silencer?? ( Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I encoutnered the first establishment in my area today that is posted, Magic Mart, and it says "No Weapons."
    Yes, that is ironic. But the real irony is that the intent of the sign is to make a place safer, but the outcome is exactly the opposite.

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a
    charm.
    Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: Thank you, dear.
    Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
    Homer: Oh, how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
    [Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
    Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

MOst places i run into here in florida have a sign that says "No illegal Weapons or Firearms"

Well my weapon/firearm isnt illegal so i just ignore it.
    BugDude likes this.

For avpbguy: Has there been a court case that ruled that if the sign doesn't follow Texas law that it is meaningless? I ask this because TN has sign specifics in its law that carry "the weight of law", but incorrect posting has never been tested in court. The law requires some specific wording or a gun busters sign in a "conspicuous " location at each entrance. Most folks I know don't want to take the chance that they will lose their permit so they either go somewhere else or don't carry in that place.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    The Gander Mtn., Bass Pro, and Cabela's in the Harrisburg, PA area have signs saying something along the lines of "All firearms and bows must be zip tied at the customer service desk upon entry. Concealed carry is exempt."
    The Cabelas here has that too. Ours even has a special firearm check station.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    in texas if the sign wasn't in compliance with 30.06 it is meaningless
    The way I think about signs that lack the force of the law is that:

1. I always carry concealed and no one in the establishment is ever going to know I'm armed except in a case of "gravest extreme".

2. In a case of "gravest extreme" where my life or that of a loved one is in enough danger to require me to produce a pistol the sign will be the last thing I'll worry about anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links