Flying to CO with my firearm?

This is a discussion on Flying to CO with my firearm? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there's been a few similar topics recently, but bear with me here. I just got a call this morning and was extended a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Flying to CO with my firearm?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887

    Flying to CO with my firearm?

    I know there's been a few similar topics recently, but bear with me here. I just got a call this morning and was extended a job offer with Dish Network. If everything goes as planned, I'll be flying to Denver, CO on the 24th for a week of training. Since I live in MT, I was able to legally purchase a handgun and obtain my CWP at 18. I can't help but think this is going to cause a headache with some unknowing TSA personnel. Also, I haven't been able to find anything in CO law about possession of a handgun. Federal law states that the minimum age is 18, but some states require you to be 21. Is anyone aware of such a law in CO? Basically any input I can get will be extremely helpful.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member
    Array GunnyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Victoria, B.C.
    Posts
    3,988
    This should answer your question...............

    http://handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

    The way I read it, you have to be 21, but I am not a lawyer.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    COLORADO AMERICAN
    Posts
    715
    My advice stay in Montanna, Denver sucks unless its for a short visit. You have to be 21 to purchase a hand gun but I don't know about the 18 year old reciprocity might call the AG for Colorado or the air port but they may just lie to you.
    wmhawth likes this.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The western edge of The Confederacy
    Posts
    2,198
    According to opencarry.org, you only have to be 18 to possess a handgun in Colorado. Open carry is legal in Colorado except in Denver where you must carry concealed. Colorado recognizes Montana permits, so that won't be a problem. TSA officials are well versed in transport regulations, be sure your gun is unloaded, secured in check in baggage and you've completed the proper form for transport.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Array Jeff F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    South Central Wyoming
    Posts
    641
    Montana to Colorado why don't you just drive? As far as being eighteen, well been so many years since I was even close to that age, don't really pay much attention to laws that deal with age for quite some time now.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
    __________________________________
    NRA Endowment Life Member

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    According to opencarry.org, you only have to be 18 to possess a handgun in Colorado. Open carry is legal in Colorado except in Denver where you must carry concealed. Colorado recognizes Montana permits, so that won't be a problem. TSA officials are well versed in transport regulations, be sure your gun is unloaded, secured in check in baggage and you've completed the proper form for transport.
    Alright thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I've already read "Mac's Guide to Flying with a Firearm" over on Glocktalk, so I think I can deal with everything else.

  8. #7
    Member Array TVille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    173
    Consider, carefully, what you will do with the weapon while at training. Do they allow it in the facility where the training takes place? Does your new employer have rules about weapons? You need to look into both of those. Consider that on your last day, you will probably check out and have to store your bags at their facility while in your last day of training.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post
    Consider, carefully, what you will do with the weapon while at training. Do they allow it in the facility where the training takes place? Does your new employer have rules about weapons? You need to look into both of those. Consider that on your last day, you will probably check out and have to store your bags at their facility while in your last day of training.
    I've actually given considerable thought to that. While Dish is fairly pro-gun, I won't be able to carry during training. I'll have a rental car, and I plan to put my weapon in a safe, which will be cabled to the seat. I'm not the type to go off half-cocked. I've done my research and know what I can and can't do as far as work goes. I really only want my gun with me for when I'm not at training. I'll be eating out a good bit, as well as making a few stops at some sporting goods stores. That's when I want to have my gun with me. Carrying during training really isn't even a consideration for me. The last day of training isn't actually my last day there. I'll be leaving the morning AFTER training is over, so storing my bags is also not a big deal.

    Jeff, I would MUCH rather drive. But Dish is paying for the transport, and flying is cheaper than paying my mileage.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array rljohns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,041
    Are you going to be at the facility on Santa Fe in Littleton or the Englewood facility in the Meridian area? You will find CO fairly gun friendly with the exception of Denver city. The average cop in Denver isn't even anti-gun just the political positions mostly. Very liyyle is off limits in CO by law and there are only a few businesses posted. In CO we must be 21 to get a permit, I'm not sure how that translates to honoring a state that only require 18. I'll bet your permit is not valid unless you meet CO's minimum age requirement.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Are you going to be at the facility on Santa Fe in Littleton or the Englewood facility in the Meridian area? You will find CO fairly gun friendly with the exception of Denver city. The average cop in Denver isn't even anti-gun just the political positions mostly. Very liyyle is off limits in CO by law and there are only a few businesses posted. In CO we must be 21 to get a permit, I'm not sure how that translates to honoring a state that only require 18. I'll bet your permit is not valid unless you meet CO's minimum age requirement.
    Well, I've been digging through CO statutes since yesterday, and I can't find anything about it. I did find where it said that possession of a handgun by a juvenile is unlawful, and it defined a juvenile as a person under 18. So I'm good as far as possession goes. I haven't found anything that says they won't honor another states permit if you're under 21.

    I have no idea what facility I'll be at. lol. They're still getting everything together and I'm going to get more info by the beginning of next week.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    809
    With a recipitory permit, you have to follow the laws of the state you are in. In CO. you have to be 21 to carry concealed so if your not 21, I would leave it at home for your trip. Open carry in Denver can cause you a lot more head ache then you want.

  13. #12
    Member Array jarhead74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    299
    Yep, 21 to carry concealed.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

  14. #13
    Ex Member Array F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High in Colorado
    Posts
    1,706
    In Missouri our CCW age has been 23 (just dropped to 21), BUT with auto recognition of out of state permits many 18-22 year old legally carry on out of state permits....Call the Colorado AG's office and get it straight from the horse's a.......... mouth.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    In Missouri our CCW age has been 23 (just dropped to 21), BUT with auto recognition of out of state permits many 18-22 year old legally carry on out of state permits....Call the Colorado AG's office and get it straight from the horse's a.......... mouth.
    I figure this is what I'll end up doing. It does say that you have to be 21 to APPLY for a permit. Nowhere does it mention that you have to be 21 to carry on a non-resident permit.

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,407
    I've spent a great deal of time over the last few years pouring over the CRS on firearms and carry in Colorado, a majority of them in Sec. 18. I do not remember anything about age restrictions on reciprocity, that whole end is vague.

    I use this site - Legal Resources Colorado Revised Statutes/Title 18/Article 12. Write down the referenced CRS' and read up on those too.
    Sticks

    Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

colorado revised statutes for minimum age for open carry

,

flying into denver with a firearm

,

flying to colorado with a firearm

,

flying to colorado with gun

,

flying to colorado with handgun

,

flying with a handgun under 21

,

flying with firearms colorado

,

flying with handgun to colorado

,

is it legal to carry a pistol in colorado at 18

,

mac's guide to flying with a firearm

,

off limits firearm colorado

,
rules for flying firearms into colorado
Click on a term to search for related topics.