Going to Illinois (with guns)

This is a discussion on Going to Illinois (with guns) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is the right place to put this, please move if need be. I usually avoid Illinois but this Friday, the Wife ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Going to Illinois (with guns)

Going to Illinois (with guns)

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, please move if need be. I usually avoid Illinois but this Friday, the Wife wants to go to out to eat in Galena for her Birthday. I know I can't carry in Illinois. But here is my question. The gun range is about 35 minutes away, on the way to Galena. My Wife wants to try out her new 10/22 that I got all decked out for her and I'd like to get some practice in with my Glocks. I have a lockable pistol case and a soft gun case for the 10/22. My plan was to have the pistols unloaded and locked in the case, 10/22 unloaded in case and run a cable through the handle of the pistol case and the gun case. Then secure those in the back of the minivan and lock the ammo up front in the center console.

Is this an ok way to go into Illinois with guns? I don't have to bring them with me but we would sure like to go to the range on the way up there. I'd also at least like to carry until we get to the State line.

2. Remove Ads

Out of state guns and IL don't mix....

However, since you are not a resident of IL, you are not required to have a FOID...because they are only issued to IL residents.

For transportation, see: handgunlaw.us

Does the range you plan on using require customers to have a FOID? Will they allow out of state shooters? I'd give the range a call.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The range is in Iowa so I'm good there. Just don't want to have to drive an extra hour to bring the guns back home first. Looking at handgun laws, it looks like if they are unloaded, locked up and not accessable its ok to transport. That is what I understood when reading.

I couldn'd find anything about going through Ill with out of State guns.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

You are good to travel but only stops for gas and food are allowed. A social dinner would not qualify. Chances of getting caught; SLIM. Should slim happen you are royally hosed
    Last edited by HotGuns; July 14th, 2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: language workaround
    jmlampert23 likes this.

VIP Member
    This is the Illinois State Police website:
    Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions
    If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?

Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    Unloaded, and
    Enclosed in a case, and
    Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Is it legal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?
    Yes, so long as the firearm is unloaded and properly enclosed in a case.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    You should be fine with your guns if you have them in the manner you described. Just keep them unloaded and nothing in the chamber.

Sir you were stopped for failing to signal a lane change,your not transporting any Illegal drugs, hand grenades,nuclear weapons, guns....Answer NO,Sir you don't mind if I look to see for myself do you...Answer NO,Sir if you have nothing to hide why won't you let me look in your vehicle....Well there is this thing called the Bill of Rights that protects me from unlawful searches,if you have PC that I may be breaking some Law then get a search warrant,otherwise issue me a citartion for the traffic infraction so I may be on my way
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    You are good to travel but only stops for gas and food are allowed. A social dinner would not qualify. Chances of getting caught; SLIM. Should slim happen you are royally f**ked.
    This is blatantly false.
    430*ILCS*65/**Firearm Owners Identification Card Act..
    (430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑2)
    Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
    (a)
    (9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;
    (10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state
    720 ILCS 5/24-1
    (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed
    on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of
    business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's
    permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does
    not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,
    Keep it in it's case in IL and you meet state law, have a permit from your state and you can have it out of the case in the same manner that any IL resident would be allowed to. Both important facts for anyone driving through the state but finding themselves needing to stop at a hotel for the night. And this is not new!!!!! There are specific exemptions for out of state residents at the range or hunting in IL so if you're near the boarder (though sounds like you're further away) those are options for you as well, at least legally speaking, range rules may differ, but I'm yet to find one that'll turn away a legal customer.

Now here is the important caveat to that law, it does not overrule local law, so cities like Chicago can have more restrictive laws. Now thanks to McDonald and Heller cases cities cannot outright ban firearms. You could even have a social dinner in the city of Chicago as long as it was unloaded and non accessible and stayed that way the whole time (and you were out of the city in 24 hours) but we're not worried about Chitown, and checking ISP's site logging all the firearm ordinances Municipal Ordinances Relating To Firearms Public Act 92-0238

Galena doesn't have any nor do you have to pass through any other town to get where you're going so you are good to go if they are encased and out of reach. You get brownie points if they're non-functioning and locked though (for those officers that still need to learn the laws they almost never need to use), no case for a rifle, just make it non functioning and put it somewhere non accessible.

If you have the time for reading here's the State Supreme Court rulings that backup what I said.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/I...ntNeedFoid.pdf
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/I...oleIsACase.pdf

Until Nov 1, it's easier to transport a firearm in IL than WI, before July 1 a few weeks ago, it was easier in IL and WI to transport a firearm than it was in IN, and they've still got CA, NJ and MA beat for out of state residents.

I regularly transport through IL to avoid extra two days of travel 1-2 times a month, know the laws and be smart about it (in a case out of sight out of mind don't get stopped and if you do be honest when/if asked if you have any weapons in the car) and it's no problem.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    But why? I bet you could find a restaurant just as good, if not better someplace other than Illinois. I guess it's just my "old way" of thinking, but I refuse to give my money to "anti-gunners". This is the only reason I still have not booked a Whitetail hunt in Pike county Ill.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

this is what I got from Illinois PD:

You would be correct in that Illinois does not have a conceal and carry
    permit, nor do we recognize other states conceal and carry. In order to be
    legal in Illinois you must be legally eligible to possess or acquire
    firearms and ammunition in your state of residence. It is recommended
    that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents
    transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

JoAnn Bubonic
    Illinois State Police
    Firearms Services Bureau
    Applications Section Manager
    217-782-4434
    Note... ENCLOSED IN A CASE does not specify what type of case or if it needs to lock... It does not need to lock at all. Even a zippered pouch is fine.

IF you get pulled over just do the typical drill: "Officer, for our safety I need to inform you that there is a legally owned firearm I am transporting through the state. It is properly stored in a case, inaccessible to me & the ammo is kept separately. How would you like to proceed?" It seems cruddy to have to say all that but it will get the officer to realize pretty quickly that you are not going to do anything dumb & you just want to make the encounter easy & safe.
    Tzadik likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    But why? I bet you could find a restaurant just as good, if not better someplace other than Illinois. I guess it's just my "old way" of thinking, but I refuse to give my money to "anti-gunners". This is the only reason I still have not booked a Whitetail hunt in Pike county Ill.
    It's really only Chicago that falls into anti, and even then I know many that have left the city that are pro gun. It's the only state that I've ever been in where every 10 miles you pass a farm that has pro-gun lobby signs and miniature billboards. Not to mention there's some good restaurants there, with IL having some of the highest concentrations of Italian Irish and Polish immigrants and descendants. My closest gun shop and closest shooting range according to the NRA are in IL.
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Note... ENCLOSED IN A CASE does not specify what type of case or if it needs to lock... It does not need to lock at all. Even a zippered pouch is fine.
    "Case carry" has a following in IL as does OCing an empty holster. Case carry actually does offer a delayed form of self defense, but really gives the OCvsCC or Condition 1 vs 3 for micro second advantages a whole new perspective. Here is more information on Case Carry Illinois Carry Guide - ICarry.org

Glock Certified Armorer

Dibs on guns, ammo, and safe(s) at OP's home when OP and wife disappear into the Illinois judical system.

I don't know the answer to your question, should be simple but we're talkin' Illinois here. Hope you have a safe and hassle free trip.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    It's really only Chicago that falls into anti, and even then I know many that have left the city that are pro gun. It's the only state that I've ever been in where every 10 miles you pass a farm that has pro-gun lobby signs and miniature billboards.
    It sad how one city can basically dictate how the rest of the state has to live. I imagine it is probably the same with NY State and NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    "Case carry" has a following in IL as does OCing an empty holster. Case carry actually does offer a delayed form of self defense, but really gives the OCvsCC or Condition 1 vs 3 for micro second advantages a whole new perspective. Here is more information on Case Carry Illinois Carry Guide - ICarry.org
    I was reading about that a few days ago. Thanks for reminding me. I think they nicknamed it "The Six Second Rule" or something like that.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Thanks for the replies. We are only going to Galena because we went there last year (before I had my permit) and ate at a really good pizza place. Chicago style pizza was amazing. Plus they have a neat old icecream parlor, old fashioned candy shop and other neat shops.

I'll take down the Glocks, the P22 has a key lock on the side and I can use the lock for the 10-22 that goes through the reciever. I'll do all that, lock the pistol case, run a cable through the handle on the pistol case and carry strap on 10-22 case. Ammo will be locked in center console.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links