New CCW

This is a discussion on New CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recieved my Ohio CCW license yesterday around 11:30AM. I have taken steps to buy a tactical briefcase from Dillion and a leather dayplanner, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New CCW

New CCW

I just recieved my Ohio CCW license yesterday around 11:30AM.

I have taken steps to buy a tactical briefcase from Dillion and a leather dayplanner, and an Uncle Mike's Sidekick with a 4' shoulder strap, all three have a concealed carry compartment.

I have a full sized Taurus PT-1911 .45 ACP, an EAA Windicator 2" snubbie .357 Mag, and on order a Cobra .38 Special double barrel derringer.

I am considering a 2" Rossi .357 Mag snubby and a Bersa UC .45 ACP.

I would like to get a good IWB leather or Kydex holster for the EAA as well as a Kabar,5-11 or BlueStone concealment vest.

I would like to carry 2-4 handguns.

Am I on the right track?

Any suggestions or ideas?
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
    (Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

2. Remove Ads

You want to carry 2-4 guns at the same time? Having a backup is good in my book, but 4 guns on your person??

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    You will be/are seriously under-armed. Why haven't you considered carrying an RPG yet? ...ba dum bump...

Seriously, is there a legitimate reason(s) why you feel you need to carry that many firearms? Are things that bad in your neck of the woods in OH? I can appreciate your "enthusiasm", but from a practical POV, you may need to re-think your setup.

Well I can see a small BUG but the 1911 or one of the revos should be fine. 4 handguns on your person will be uncomfortable and unecessary on so many levels.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Welcome to DC. You'll likely find a mantra here that reiterates the importance of training. Far better to be proficient one gun, then clumsy with four.

There have been rare circumstance back when I did property managment in high crime areas when I had more - that was when I decided that putting myself into more dangerous situations than LEO's would attempt alone was not worth the extra income.

These days I'll often carry a BUG, but I will not carry anything that I have not developed built-in muscle-memory to operate. In your dire hour, you will likely not rise to the occasion, but will fall back on your training. Train, train, and then train some more.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I will assume you meant you wanted 2-4 guns in your carry rotation....

If you are asking about the Bersa UC45 being a candidate, i will give you a big positive vote for it. It's easily concealed (although a bit thick in the grip), and accurate as well. DA first shot isn;t all that bad, and follow up SA is fine.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Well I can get behind carrying a full size Glock baby Glock and a J-frame and not being over zealous. Preparation for Murphy's law and a reload that has a gun already wrapped around it. One is none, two is one and three might just be ok. Maybe that's just me.

You mentioned Taurus and 1911 and in the same sentence, make sure you can put 500 rounds down range without a single failure, a 1911 is a complex design and Taurus (though not recently as much it used to be) has a bit of reputation for being hit or miss reliability, make sure you're on the reliable side of things. I also noticed you mentioned calibers that generally fall under high recoil, you're new to CCW but are you new to guns as well, if so I'd recommend getting at least one 9mm or .22 to learn the fundamentals a develop good firearms skills at lower cost to training and being able to fire more rounds in a range session before your hands start to tire.

As for the vests here's the thing, they've been pushed as being a part of CC so much that they work about as well as the fanny pack, they aren't in style in most areas and so it tends to stand out as being someone CCing, it doesn't do too much to make you disappear within the crowd. I'm also not a fan personally of off body carry, I know for some that it can boil down to the only option and at that point then by all means, but purses, briefcases and backpacks all tend to be high on the ease to grab and fight someone off of targets for robbery they also occupy your hands in situations you may require them for less than lethal force, and with on body carry I can drop whatever is in my hands and get the heck out of dodge without having to surrender a firearm to anyone, so I'm not arming the bad guy.

I'd recommend checking out Massad Ayoob's book entitled "concealed carry" that goes over many pluses and minuses of various methods of carry, IWB is common but certainly not the end all be all; and it's all about finding what works best for you.
    gatech33 likes this.

Glock Certified Armorer

Why would you want to cc 4 guns? I can see two...one IWB and a shoulder holster.....just my 2 cents.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by PairA10s View Post
    I just recieved my Ohio CCW license yesterday around 11:30AM.

I have taken steps to buy a tactical briefcase from Dillion and a leather dayplanner, and an Uncle Mike's Sidekick with a 4' shoulder strap, all three have a concealed carry compartment.

I have a full sized Taurus PT-1911 .45 ACP, an EAA Windicator 2" snubbie .357 Mag, and on order a Cobra .38 Special double barrel derringer.

I am considering a 2" Rossi .357 Mag snubby and a Bersa UC .45 ACP.

I would like to get a good IWB leather or Kydex holster for the EAA as well as a Kabar,5-11 or BlueStone concealment vest.

I would like to carry 2-4 handguns.

Am I on the right track?

Any suggestions or ideas?
    Well, it depends on what the statement "being on the right track" means to you. IMO carrying 4 guns at the same time is a little overkill, and if you really need to do it you perhaps should consider changing lifestyle.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I don't know your background, but I would suggest becoming proficient with the deployment and use of one ccw before carrying more than one.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

One is enough to start with...carry extra mags for mechanical malfunctions.
    Practice and take a course or two with that one gun, then think about expanding your carry options.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No one has mentioned it yet, but I'd recommend not carrying in a briefcase or day planner, unless you are absolutely, positively sure that you won't be setting it down anywhere (no, not even for a minute), or not have it under your direct control 100% of the time. I like your thinking on the IWB (leather or kydex) - - much better idea.

And as others have alluded to already, you should get some professional training and become proficient with one (1) of those guns before considering multiples. And, take that training before you purchase any of the guns that you are considering - - you may find that there are better choices out there.

There's no way I could carry 4 guns, even if I wanted to. I found it uncomfortable carrying two. If I were you, I'd get a good hybrid holster for the 1911, carry a few extra mags with it, and if you absolutely feel the need, slip a snub in one of your pockets. Anything more then that and you start to give off that Gecko45 vibe.
    MadMac likes this.

I am considering carrying a Taurus PT-1911 .45 ACP, an EAA Windicator .357 Mag, a Taurus .22LR semi-auto pistol, and a Cobra Derringer .38 Special(non +P).

I plan to train with my concealed carry gear at a pistol range to be very familiar with all 4.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
    (Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

Congrats on the CCW, but if it was me, I'd start off with one primary and possibly a BUG, along with a less lethal option like a OC spray of some kind.

I guess it all depends on your particular lifestyle and places of interest, but for me, carrying four handguns just seems a bit much.
    Anyway, congrats again, and stay safe out there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links