need help fast....carrying handgun in car through georgia and florida???

This is a discussion on need help fast....carrying handgun in car through georgia and florida??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is for my brother in law.... He is going to Florida, I belive to pick up his future fiance... and wants to know what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: need help fast....carrying handgun in car through georgia and florida???

This is for my brother in law.... He is going to Florida, I belive to pick up his future fiance... and wants to know what Georgia and Floridas laws are for a Out of State person to carry their handgun in these states? He doesnt have a permit to carry in any state. I told him it was pointless because it would probably have ot be unloaded, locked up etc...

But I told him I would get the answer for him... He is coming from SC and going to Florida..

Thanks

Carrying a loaded gun in a car in FL is legit w/out a license if the weapon is stored in a case, snapped holster, or in the glove box. Center console, side pockets, or seat map pockets don't count. Where's Georgia?

790.25 (5)(5) Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons

It is not necessary to have a license or permit to carry a loaded firearm in a private vehicle, so long as the gun is "securely encased". Florida law defines a weapon as being securely encased if the firearm is in a glove compartment, whether or not locked, in a snapped holster (not worn on your body!), in a zippered gun case or in a box or other container that requires a lid or cover to be lifted or opened in order to gain access to the firearm. These restrictions do not apply to any person who holds a valid Florida Concealed Weapon License or a reciprocal state license/permit.

Here's GA... Automobile carry:
    Without a GA or Reciprocal License – fully open to view (such as uncovered in passenger seat, partially sticking out below or beside seat is not allowed). If you are not prohibited from obtaining a firearm carry license, it can be in a closeable compartment like the glove box or center console (map pockets that are not closeable are not acceptable) with a GA or Reciprocal License – Anywhere in the car.

Use this... http://www.usacarry.com/

Hit Concealed Carry Info, then hit the state you're interested in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Handgunlaw.US.

For SC (from above):

Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry in loaded if contained in a closed Glove Box, Console or
    Trunk. Their law is very specific on the only locations where it can be carried.
    For FL:

...if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
    Probably should read those pages and the associated information.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Carrying a loaded gun in a car in FL is legit w/out a license if the weapon is stored in a case, snapped holster, or in the glove box. Center console, side pockets, or seat map pockets don't count. Where's Georgia?

790.25 (5)(5) Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons

It is not necessary to have a license or permit to carry a loaded firearm in a private vehicle, so long as the gun is "securely encased". Florida law defines a weapon as being securely encased if the firearm is in a glove compartment, whether or not locked, in a snapped holster (not worn on your body!), in a zippered gun case or in a box or other container that requires a lid or cover to be lifted or opened in order to gain access to the firearm. These restrictions do not apply to any person who holds a valid Florida Concealed Weapon License or a reciprocal state license/permit.
    Not quite. Center console, as long as it has some type of enclosure or latch, is good to go.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

First off if he is your brother-in-law why is he picking up his future fiancee? One becomes a bro-in-law by the fact that he is married to your sister

Anyway, aside from local laws no one has mentioned that there is a federal law that permits the transportation of guns across state borders. Google it. Why does he want to take a gun that has to be secured in a car anyway and does your sister know he has a fiancee?
    BigJon10125 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    To clarify on FL law, for anyone who can legally possess a handgun (18, no felonies, etc.), the firearm must be concealed, as there is no open carry allowed in the vehicle, (A "private" conveyance, not a "public" one) permit or not. The firearm cannot be concealed "on the person" without a permit recognized by FL.

Any "closed" container is okay, be it a glovebox, console, handgun case (latched--snapped--or zippered), etc. as long as it requires it to be "opened" to gain use of the firearm, whether loaded or not. Locks are not required. Technically a snapped holster under the front seat is legal, but too many "un-informed" LEOs don't know this (personal experience) and it may result in the "free ride" before it's cleared up. Under the seat is not very practical either.

The important aspect of this is to meet the specfic legal definition of "securely encased" and you'll be fine. All he needs to do is research FL statute 790. Carrying a printout of the specific statute wouldn't hurt.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You promised to get him the answer? From some anonymous guys on the internet? Your family member would be best served by doing some research of his own. ...teach a man to fish versus give him a fish, and all that....

Besides, if he gets pulled over and gets in a legal squeeze with his firearm, he's going to look mighty stupid telling the LEOs he got his legal advice from an in-law who in turn got it from random guys on an internet chat board.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    [QUOTE=GunByte;1981914]First off if he is your brother-in-law why is he picking up his future fiancee? One becomes a bro-in-law by the fact that he is married to your sister

QUOTE]

Because the guy is the OP's wife's brother?
    Hopyard, rolyat63 and Aceoky like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by GunByte View Post
    First off if he is your brother-in-law why is he picking up his future fiancee? One becomes a bro-in-law by the fact that he is married to your sister

Anyway, aside from local laws no one has mentioned that there is a federal law that permits the transportation of guns across state borders. Google it. Why does he want to take a gun that has to be secured in a car anyway and does your sister know he has a fiancee?

My wifes unmarried brother is my brother in law

Quote Originally Posted by GunByte View Post

Wife's brother maybe?

edit: dang... beat to the punch...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Well played BigMac! Beat me to it.

BigJon

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Well played BigMac! Beat me to it.

BigJon
    Luck of the draw .... I'm really too lazy to beat anyone to the punch.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You promised to get him the answer? From some anonymous guys on the internet? Your family member would be best served by doing some research of his own. ...teach a man to fish versus give him a fish, and all that....

Besides, if he gets pulled over and gets in a legal squeeze with his firearm, he's going to look mighty stupid telling the LEOs he got his legal advice from an in-law who in turn got it from random guys on an internet chat board.
    Seems as if, while offering the requested info, each contributer directed him to a specific statute(s) or area of reseach. To paraphrase a quote, a fool and his firearms are soon parted. One should aways go to the source.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

just leave it home.
    Hopyard likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links