unreliable cell phones....decisions

This is a discussion on unreliable cell phones....decisions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've debated posting this for awhile, as I'm sure there are no clear cut answers besides buying another cell phone, but a) maybe some people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unreliable cell phones....decisions

unreliable cell phones....decisions

I've debated posting this for awhile, as I'm sure there are no clear cut answers besides buying another cell phone, but a) maybe some people havent realized there could be problems with touch screen phones and b) you all always come up with things I havent thought of.

I have an Android cell with a touch screen and have an iTouch (iPhone without phone) so I am familiar with 2 of the more common touch screens.

Both have settings for when their screens go dark...to preserve battery power. This means that they can go dark when you most need them...it can go dark when you are talking on it....it should light up again when you move it away from your head (this is by design) but doesnt always and it's not necessarily fast.

There are certain finger actions you need to take to activate/re-activate touch screens and touch isnt always as precise or fast as buttons.

It can mean there are 1 or 2 more actions before you dial 911, even if you have it on 1 touch speed dial. If you are down injured, you may not be able to manage it one-handed (you should be able to but you need to practice) or if you are shaking, etc you will also have problems. Moisture/blood on the phone can also compromise that screen.

I have called 911 with shaking hands more than once.....I am concerned that my smartphone is not all that smart for self-defense.

I know I can probably find most of the features I want in a phone with a real keyboard (email, navigator, browser).....this may be the path I take....but have others run into issues with touchscreen phones that they've worked out?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

iPhones have a voice dial feature for any number in your contacts list. Just hold down the home button and tell it what you want to do. It even works for the iPod part of the phone. They also have an emergency call button on the lock screen that brings up a dial pad after the initial finger swipe. Using it one handed is also not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    iPhones have a voice dial feature for any number in your contacts list. Just hold down the home button and tell it what you want to do. It even works for the iPod part of the phone. They also have an emergency call button on the lock screen that brings up a dial pad after the initial finger swipe. Using it one handed is also not a problem.
    Ack! Of course. So do 'droids. (voice feature)

And yes, my 'droid can be operated with one hand, but there are still some times when the handling must be fairly precise.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Ack! Of course. So do 'droids. (voice feature)

And yes, my 'droid can be operated with one hand, but there are still some times when the handling must be fairly precise.
    I get what you are saying, but I really don't see the disadvantage over a standard keypad. Same number over movements, maybe less with my iphone, but they might be a little different. I thinks its just a familiarity issue. Given the response times and other factors out of your control, I don't think a second will make any difference. Just being able to call while flustered is what you need. Voice dial takes care of that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

BLUE TOOTH is the solution!

Check out the voice-activated/voice controlled blue tooth headsets made by Blue Ant.

I've had several headsets of theirs, over the years, I love their products and they keep getting better and better as time passes.

FYI, I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon is my carrier) and the setup and functioning is flawless.

I have an Android & A Jawbone Icon bluetooth device. The Jawbone is amazing & voice dialing with it rocks!

Jawbone has outstanding customer service. I had an old jawbone go through the washer & dryer and it still works.... The folks at jawbone were as surprised about that as I was.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I have a Blackberry and if I drop it the back flies off and the battery flies out. It takes a while for it to go through the "re-boot" process. I have put a piece of tape on the back so that in case of an emergency and I have butter fingers and drop it I won't have to go through the 5 minute process of putting it back together and waiting on it to fire up. Something to think about.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    sorry took so long to reply, my shoe was ringing.

for 3 generations of these mighty mites i have been able to say 'phone xxx' and it does.
    why is yours behaving different?

It can mean there are 1 or 2 more actions before you dial 911
    which is why i carry my phone in a prompted mode.
    the danger of carrying it unprompted is in the extra steps necessary to dial 911.
    and those moments are what seem to trouble you. as some have suggested it can be pre-prompted with a few advanced keystrokes....or touches to the screen.
    or perhaps this is a an issue that will be corrected by the manufacture with the nect model.

-------------------

phone and phone, what is phone??

....mccoy, care to field that question?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Can't dial a number with a broken screen.

Voice command with a physical button is a must.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Who knew that the type of phone that you have could be detrimental to your 911 capability?

I never even thought about it before. If your touchscreen failed, yeah that could be a problem. But, like anything else, they all can fail.

My wife had a standard flip phone; the hinge broke for some odd reason and rendered the phone inoperable.

I have had a BlackBerry freeze on me; rendering it inoperable until a reboot (a lengthy process as BugDude pointed out)

Any phone can freeze, break, whatever at random. I suppose we should start carrying BUPs
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm more concerned with having a signal, than any potential issues with the phone itself. Besides, I use a plain jane, 3 year old Net10 pre-paid phone. No fancy stuff there.

What did you do for personal defense before cell phones existed?

My personal defensive plan is the same as its always been, if at all possible get the heck out of the area, if not, well then things will get a lot more serious in short order.

If my primary plan works, I'll call as I'm leaving the area.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

VIP Member
    I have a Bluetooth headset and all I have to do is press one button on it and say "call 911". I don't need to tie up my hands and eyes dialing.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks very much, very helpful.

Some comments tho, indicate that people havent really thought about less than optimum conditions...like when the SHTF and things drop, you're on the ground, there's blood on the screen, it's not on your normal setting for some reason, your earpiece pops out, etc.

Sure my phone works just fine...under normal conditions when my life doesnt depend on it.....that's not what I'm concerned about
    Fortune favors the bold.

I get where your coming from,I have a Samsung Seeker,seems like a little moisture on my fingers etc make the touch feature a pain,being wounded/injuredfrom a fall or attack and being able to call for help can be the difference between life and death sometimes.The odds of you being in a situation where u are hurt and unable to get a call out are pretty slim,but could happen.Just think what it was like 30 years ago before cell phones
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links