FYI Texas CHL Holders - Page 2

FYI Texas CHL Holders

This is a discussion on FYI Texas CHL Holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got stopped for running a stop sign on my scooter and the cop was really POed when he came up behind me he ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FYI Texas CHL Holders

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I just got stopped for running a stop sign on my scooter and the cop was really POed when he came up behind me he almost hit me with his unmarked car. He said he lives in this neighborhood and he has kids. I was very contrite and kept my hands on top of my helmet when I said I am supposed to tell you I have a CHL before you accidentally see it while I am reaching for my DL and CHL. His whole demeanor changed and he as he took my licenses he said "where is your gun" and I told him in a inside the waistband holster on my right hand side.

He then handed the licenses back and said watch those stop signs and turned and left.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    I just got stopped for running a stop sign on my scooter and the cop was really POed when he came up behind me he almost hit me with his unmarked car. He said he lives in this neighborhood and he has kids. I was very contrite and kept my hands on top of my helmet when I said I am supposed to tell you I have a CHL before you accidentally see it while I am reaching for my DL and CHL. His whole demeanor changed and he as he took my licenses he said "where is your gun" and I told him in a inside the waistband holster on my right hand side.

He then handed the licenses back and said watch those stop signs and turned and left.
    I changed this. I carry at the 4:30 position (gun and wallet) and that makes it hard to get to my licences while carrying and driving (which is all the time). I switched from carrying my licenses in my wallet to carrying my licenses in my left front jeans pocket. Much easier to reach my licenses.

When I attended the training class for my carry license, the instructor - a retired LEO - informed us SEVERAL times that when you are asked by any LEO for ID, show both your DL & CCL. If they run a check of your DL, the CCL shows up as well and if you have already presented it to him, they are much less likely to give you any problems. He also said to advise them if you are currently carrying and where the weapon is, but only if asked.

I keep it simple (KISS rule) so I don't have to think about it. 1) I ALWAYS keep my gun in the same place when I'm in my vehicle and I never leave my driveway without the the gun. If I'm in the vehicle, so is the gun. The only exception is if I'm going to the range with several weapons, then they are kept in a range bag in the rear of my vehicle. 2) I keep my carry permit in the same place as my drivers license (they are next to one another) so when I pull one out, I'll see the other. It's a simple reminder, but it works.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman
    I changed this. I carry at the 4:30 position (gun and wallet) and that makes it hard to get to my licences while carrying and driving (which is all the time). I switched from carrying my licenses in my wallet to carrying my licenses in my left front jeans pocket. Much easier to reach my licenses.
    Very good point about where to carry the docs. Since I started carrying a 1911 (at about 4:00), I typically carry my wallet in in a cargo pocket, if the trousers have them. Makes it easier to access when driving, and less likely to reveal the weapon when shopping, etc.

I think it's important for us to make things as easy as possible for LEOs, as well. Of course, I'm not an outlaw biker like Timmy Jimmy, terrorizing the neighborhood!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I was told by my CHL instructor to imagine that the DL and CHL are "velcroed" together when it comes to law enforcement.

Also, I found out that if you call the police to file a report, they will ask for your DL. Be sure to give then your CHL at that time as well. I had to place a call a while back and did not know the officer that showed up. As I made the complaint, he asked for my DL and I gave him both. He went from appearing a little bored to a lot more friendly and began giving my description of the incident a lot more credibility. (Or so it seems.)

I told him that even though I am CHL, if there is someone prowling around the neighbor's house, I would much rather it be handled by the professionals, and he agreed. I also noticed that there were a lot more passes by patrol cars through our neighborhood for a while.

I agree with rodc13, we need to make things easier for the LEOs. Their job is hard enough as it is.

Lots of good responses to this thread, especially about WHEN to notify an officer about your CHL status and presenting the CHL with your DL.

One thing I have noticed is no comments about where this incident took place. Opening thread clearly states it took place on the A&M Campus.

My son is a CHL holder and full time college student at ACU in Abilene and he is prohibited by state law to carry anywhere on the campus, period. He has checked with the Campus Police Chief and was told the same, even leaving it in his vehicle in one of the parking lots is a no-no.

No carry anywhere on school property in the State of Texas was my understanding of the law. Am I wrong in thinking this and reinforcing it to my son ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    No carry anywhere on school property in the State of Texas was my understanding of the law. Am I wrong in thinking this and reinforcing it to my son ?
    Actually, what the law prohibits is carrying on the "premises". This has been defined as the physical buildings. So in other words, you can legally carry in the parking lot, or walking/driving through the campus, but not inside one of the buildings. The exception is when an athletic event or official school function is taking place. For example, you couldn't carry on the polo field (is the polo field still there?) when an event is going on. Otherwise, you could stroll across it while carrying, and not be in violation.
    Last edited by rodc13; August 3rd, 2006 at 01:26 PM.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I was informed the law was changed a few years ago to read you could bring a gun onto school property (like a parking lot) but it couldn't be carried into the school building itself and had to remain locked in the vehicle. I guess there were problems under the old system that needed to be addressed. For example, people dropping off or picking up kids, or what if you're called at work to come and p/u a sick child and what do you do with a gun already in your vehicle.

My understanding is you can have a weapon in the vehicle, but you can't have it on you or remove it if you leave your vehicle when it's on school property. Whether that word has gotten out is subject to debate since concealed carry law and any changes to it is not something that's regularly taught to LEO's and security personnel. I keep a current copy of the TX statutes that pertain to CC in my vehicle. In case there is a problem with "interpretation", I have something to back me up if it's my word against someone else.

There is also "law" vs. "policy". The law has legal weight behind it while policy really doesn't. Let's say a store has a policy of "no gun's allowed". All they (or anyone with authority, like the owner or manager, if you're on private property) can really do is ask you to remove your gun and/or leave IF they discover you are carrying. Of course if you don't, the store CAN have you arrested for trespassing.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links