Night Time Readiness?? - Page 2

Night Time Readiness??

This is a discussion on Night Time Readiness?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Electronic hearing protection. I have enough hearing damage and my ears are very sensitive to loud percussive sounds. If I fired a gun in my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Time Readiness??

Another thing to consider...

Electronic hearing protection. I have enough hearing damage and my ears are very sensitive to loud percussive sounds. If I fired a gun in my house, I fear that I would probably be deaf for the rest of my life. Anyway, I don't want to take that chance. Besides, elec. muffs another significant advantage, they amplify small sounds, which would make it easier to hear a BG moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Beprepared
    Besides, elec. muffs another significant advantage, they amplify small sounds, which would make it easier to hear a BG moving around.
    But don't they confuse you a bit as they mess with the detection of direction of the sound?

When I was younger I actually slept through a home invasion. Fortunately all they were after was small, easy to resell items. But that lucky incident for me has changed home life. We have an alarm now, with window breaks. Also dog that likes to bark. I think this alone deters 99% of all would be intruders. They are looking for an easy target most of the time I would guess. But if for some strange reason someone entered the home, I think all the noise would wake me up long before they got to the bedroom.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Oh, important note. If you are going to have a firearm in the bedroom. Make sure you are fully awake before you go walking through the house in the dark.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I made a little contraption that slides between the mattress and box spring to which I attached a nylon holster for my Glock 20, 10mm. It is set up so the gun is held at a 45 degree angle just below the top of the mattress; there is a mag holder on the holster where I keep a Surefire. I use a dresser for a night stand, it is 1 foot out from the wall and the 1100 with short slug barrel, pistol grip stock, side saddle and mag extension loaded with 6 000 buck and the last 2 are slugs is in the corner behind it and a magazine holder (the reading type magazine) so it is completely hidden. I keep the cell phone in a charger on top of the dresser and there is a 2 million candle power rechargeable spot light behind the dresser on the floor. The wife has an M-1 carbine, 30 round mag loaded with hollow points on her side to back me up.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Guys, cocking your shotgun only gives away your position. You need to maintain an element of surprise just like you would during an encounter on the street. Just because you have a pump shotgun doesn't mean that a criminal is going to wet his pants and run away in fear. Keep one in the pipe and keep it quiet!!!!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by F350
    The wife has an M-1 carbine, 30 round mag loaded with hollow points on her side to back me up.
    Wow! I pity the fool that breaks into your house...awesome amount of firepower, there! :D

Right now, I've just got a Smith and Wesson Model 12 .38 Special in my nightstand. Eventually I hope to get a Mossberg 590 with a folding stock and tactical light to be the "bedroom gun". I have a 1911 hidden downstairs (I live in a two story house) in case of a daytime attempted break-in when we are downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Guys, cocking your shotgun only gives away your position. You need to maintain an element of surprise just like you would during an encounter on the street. Just because you have a pump shotgun doesn't mean that a criminal is going to wet his pants and run away in fear. Keep one in the pipe and keep it quiet!!!!
    I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. My house is 2 stories and very easy to see that my master bedroom is not on the first floor. So, in my situation, I would rather rack the slide and let the BG know if he is brave enough to come up the stairs, he is going to be full of lead once he gets to the top. There is no cover for him going up the stairs or even once he gets to the top, so if he knew there was a waiting shotgun for him at the top, I highly bet that he won't take the chance.

Now, this would be different with a ranch or maybe a 2 story that isn't easily identifiable.

Anyways, I have two good sized watch dogs that alert us to any and every thing that goes on and an alarm system that we religiously use.

I have my Glock G19, knife, cell phone, house phone, flashlight and soon to be shotgun all on/in my nightstand.

I personally think an alarm or dogs are your best bet for early warning detection. They will let you know instantly, giving you maximum time for preparation.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I personally am aganist racking the slide to scare off a bad guy. I am with Doc, why give up the element of suprise. All you have done in essence, is told the BG where you are. I have read all kinds of things on the internet about racking a slide makes someone pass out, to it will make them deficate. This is all BS in my opinion.

For you guys that like to rack your shotguns in the middle of the night, do you also rack the slide of your pistol so that a BG can hear that, or do you keep one in the tube, ready to go?

YMMV
    Curry

Administrator
    I have a great home alarm system & a barking dog.
    A great combination.

Also. QKShooter Hint. Take Natural Bilberry Supplements.
    It will increase your night vision capability.

I have a very large home. I have trained to negotiate the entire interior of my home in total darkness.
    Darkness is your best friend in your own home. Learn your home.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by BCurry1
    I personally am aganist racking the slide to scare off a bad guy. I am with Doc, why give up the element of suprise. All you have done in essence, is told the BG where you are. I have read all kinds of things on the internet about racking a slide makes someone pass out, to it will make them deficate. This is all BS in my opinion.
    I don't think that it will make the BG pass out or make him stain my hardwood floors but I think it will give him pause. Maybe it depends why the BG is there.
    My biggest concern is someone who is after a quick buck trying to grab what he can. I don't live out in BFE so whoever breaks in doesn't really have a lot of time and realization that someone is there and is ready for them might make the BG leave. On the other hand if the BG is there cause he has a score to settle, then yeah, he'll probably be happy to hear that sound.

For you guys that like to rack your shotguns in the middle of the night, do you also rack the slide of your pistol so that a BG can hear that, or do you keep one in the tube, ready to go?
    Heck.... I barely can hear it when I rack it, so why would I assume that the BG would hear it?

racking any type of gun in a house with an alarm is an exercise in futility.
    once that alarm goes off you cannot even hear yourself think much less a firearm being racked. and it is in your hands.

if you have an alarm and it goes off, bg will not hear racking so keep one in chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by BCurry1
    I keep all the long guns' chambers empty for one simple reason; too many different safety configurations to mess with in a high-stress situation. No two of our long guns have even similar safeties, whereas the handguns are all either thumb safeties or no safety. (DA revolver)

Mossberg 835 - top of the recevier
    1917 Enfield - rotating thingy near the bolt handle
    Remington 7400 (.243, 10rd mag) - behind the triggerguard
    Winchester 9422M - No safety
    Daisy Powerline 880 - Who cares?

Not much point in considering the Enfield as a serious home defense weapon unless we're being attacked from across the pasture, but all the others are pretty easy to charge in a hurry, even in the dark.

Before anyone starts yapping about the .22WMR as a home defense round, it's the "door gun" mainly for unwelcome 4-legged critters too big for the Daisy, (the landlord lives about 150 yards away, and unnecessary gunshots in the night could result in having to see him heavily armed in his underwear...and likely disappointed that I didn't leave anything for him to shoot) but in a pinch I'll use what's closest until I get to the Mossberg.

Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh
    Not much point in considering the Enfield as a serious home defense weapon unless we're being attacked from across the pasture, but all the others are pretty easy to charge in a hurry, even in the dark.
    Right after I got married, all I had was a Ruger .22LR pistol and a 1918 Lee-Enfield No1MkIII. The Lee Enfield was my loaded (not chambered) bedroom gun, and I kept that really long Wilkinson sword-style bayonet affixed! Kind of funny, but hey, its what I had, and at least it would be a deterrant for them to close on you. Yeah, not an ideal home defence weapon, but still, better than nothing.

I have suceeded in training myself to sleep according to the current environment and surroundings. I have slept thru entire fire missions next to a 155 howitzer, yet I can wake a frogs fart at home in bed. As previously stated a protective dog and alarm system help. I also keep 45 acp, flashlight, cell phone and sweat pants within reach at night.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links