Arm-chair quarterback time!

This is a discussion on Arm-chair quarterback time! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ‪Concealed Handgun Licensee thwarts bank robbery‬‏ - YouTube (this is 2 years old and may have been discussed already....) "Concealed Handgun Licensee thwarts bank robbery" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Arm-chair quarterback time!

Arm-chair quarterback time!

‪Concealed Handgun Licensee thwarts bank robbery‬‏ - YouTube
    (this is 2 years old and may have been discussed already....)

"Concealed Handgun Licensee thwarts bank robbery"

Overview; Man passes note saying he has a bomb on his chest. Regular customer picks up on it and pulls his weapon and holds man until police arrive.

Now for my quarterbacking:
    If I were in that bank and the teller told me they were being robbed I would have left in a hurry. If I had friends that I cared about that worked at the bank I might have stayed and tried to help but I doubt that second scenario very much.
    the FDIC has insured these banks and there is no reason I am going to put my safety at risk for 10,000 bucks that is fully insured.
    If the robber had a gun and turned to me or my family or if he fired one shot, even not at me, then I would have acted. But someone just dropping a note and standing there? I'm gone.

The cwp guy did seem to know what he was doing and I am in no way insulting his decision. He was there and he did what he thought was best. Just not what I would have done.
    Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Not my money. They have insurance. If the person is not LE then perp didn't point a weapon at anyone, get as much info as possible from a good look, walk out and call PD and be a good witness. What if the rare chance he really did have a bomb and was suicidal?
    wmhawth, MadMac and JDE101 like this.

Having been in the Lebanese army he may be use to bombs. Me, I'm out of there, I don't do bombs. I had a call one time about a possible bomb at the entrance to a social services building. I drove up, looked at the device, six sticks wrapped, and drove about a hundred yards away and advised dispatch. They asked if I was sure it was dynamite. I responded, "It looks like dynamite to me, I'm not getting close enough to make sure." CHP (who was not happy) closed the 5 freeway at 7:30 in the morning. It was dynamite.
    wmhawth likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Real simple, GET THE HELL OUT...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

No need to save the bank's money.
    If I sensed a robbery taking place quietly, I leave quietly and call 911.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why complicate a situation you didn't create? Any proactive response you make, is inserting yourself into a complicated mess with no certain outcome. That is something I'm not going to do.

If I was standing there, I'd be leaving post haste.

Once outside, I'd make sure there wasn't a getaway car parked just outside or half way down the block with outside accomplices before calling 911. Just because I'm outside, you have to keep your head on a swivel to ensure no other bad guys get the drop on you.
    Tzadik and thephanatik like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would most likely leave the bank if I realized what was going on.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Not to mention he could have one or more accomplices standing behind you or at the door or anywhere waiting for some mall ninja to pull out a gun.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Having been in the Lebanese army he may be use to bombs. Me, I'm out of there, I don't do bombs. I had a call one time about a possible bomb at the entrance to a social services building. I drove up, looked at the device, six sticks wrapped, and drove about a hundred yards away and advised dispatch. They asked if I was sure it was dynamite. I responded, "It looks like dynamite to me, I'm not getting close enough to make sure." CHP (who was not happy) closed the 5 freeway at 7:30 in the morning. It was dynamite.
    That seems like the smart thing to do.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I think he did a good job. Seemed calm about the situation, the guy complied and sat there till the cops showed up.

I can't fault him for what he did other than when he answered that he was a cop. Certainly there won't be any consequences or anything along the lines of impersonating an officer. The more often we say "it's not my problem" the easier it is the next time, and the time after that. Eventually no one will stand up for anything besides themselves.

I certainly don't look forward to that day.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    ... The more often we say "it's not my problem" the easier it is the next time, and the time after that. Eventually no one will stand up for anything besides themselves.

I certainly don't look forward to that day.
    Farronwolf - As one of those "It's not my problem, until it becomes my problem people...Until the laws are either rescinded or re-written to protect an individual criminally and civilly from prosecution for interventions, I will certainly not be changing my stance on the issue. But then there is still that little snag of needing to know all the players and all the information from the start to be able to make a responsible decision on what action to take. Yes, my carry is for me and mine, not protecting the herd that needs culling.

This particular scene definitely qualifies as "It's my problem". If it is real, I am in the blast radius. Since the video did not have security camera video, hard to say what is going on. I envisioned the BG opening up his jacket/bag displaying something resembling a bomb, not just a note and a threat. I'd venture that the DA would agree that the threat alone would be considered justifiable under the circumstances for a head shot and yelling "BOMB!!! - Everyone get the hell out!!!!"

However, since most of these robberies do not involve the robber making a display of himself for all the patrons, just a note passing, I'll never know until the BG leaves and the bank goes on lock down.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    A bomb that goes smitheroo? On his chest like a suicide bomber? You are going to stand your ground with a firearm? Are you crazy? Thank you Guantes for more good sense. Thanks stickeroo for an interesting and factual possibility. We had an idiot in Charleston SC who went into bank and handed teller a note saying the guy behind him was "forcing him" to rob the bank so give me the money. Turns out the second guy knew nothing about it. After being arrested and arraigned, he muttered unkind words that the judge heard and got an immediate 5 days before finding out what he will get for his supposedly forced robbery attempt.

Based on the lack of information or video of the event, no one can tell what went on besides the account of the CHL holder. The guy could have been standing there in a pair of loafers, shorts and a t-shirt no one knows. A note is all the evidence of a bomb that was presented, there is nothing to indicate he had anything strapped to him. Besides, what is the probability of somone blowing themselves up in the USA while robbing a bank. This isn't the movies, and this isn't the middle east.

Until the laws are either rescinded or re-written to protect an individual criminally and civilly from prosecution for interventions, I will certainly not be changing my stance on the issue.
    If your state doesn't have that wording, sounds like you all have something to work towards.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Part of me wants to say if I was pretty sure he didn't have a bomb and I could see both hands, I might try something.

Then again, I don't know if maybe he's not the one with a bomb if there is one, or if there's a second robber in general. I'm not superman. I don't take bullets and have them bounce off of me and I can't fly bombs out to the harbor.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Kinda like rock, paper, scissors.

Gun trumps knife, but bomb trumps gun. I'm not a cop or superhero, and not risking my life and freedom to save the bank's insured assets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links