Do you conceal while driving a car?

This is a discussion on Do you conceal while driving a car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did a brief search, didn't see a thread on this anywhere. I realize the laws of concealment will vary with state. But what I'm curious ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Do you conceal while driving a car?

Did a brief search, didn't see a thread on this anywhere. I realize the laws of concealment will vary with state. But what I'm curious about are how other people around here maintain a state of readiness in their car. The one guy we saw at the gas station in a recent video actually had his in a center console or glove box or something. I always keep mine on my hip when I'm in the car, but I've tried drawing the gun from that position a few times, especially with the seatbelt on and it takes considerably more time and effort than I'd like, especially if I only had one hand available. One super-easy thing I've found that makes it drastically easier to draw is to simply pull my shirt up and tuck it behind the gun, essentially as if I were going to be open-carrying. If I do that before I buckle my seatbelt, then the gun is easy to draw as it is primarily my shirt that causes the problem. However, I usually will not do this unless I'm on a direct route home because I'm afraid I'll forget the shirt it like that, and get out of the car in public, and who knows.. Walk into someplace like Target or something and have the cops called on me for open carrying.

Never had a problem with that. Seat belt goes over cover garment on off side, under cover garment on gun side. Clear and draw is similar to when not in vehicle.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I've been considering mounting a holster under the dash of my Jeep to make it more easily accessible and comfortable while driving.

EDIT: I do occasionally tuck my shirt behind the gun, but not often. I don't know about TX law, but Oklahoma law states only that the handgun must be concealed in the vehicle if it's loaded. Doesn't have to be on the person.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

One option would be to use a shoulder holster. Would give you easy access to the gun plus it's probably more comfortable while driving.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I carry in a driving holster at about 11 O'Clock. It easily converts to a crossdraw with a simple twist.

I never leave pistol in the car. If I have to go to a PO or something like that I have a safe cabled to the hinge in the trunk.

bosco

I carry appendix. It works well in, and out of the car.
    Last edited by zacii; July 19th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
    cmb, Ally, Old School and 3 others like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    I carry in a driving holster at about 11 O'Clock. It easily converts to a crossdraw with a simple twist...
    bosco
    Any chance you could post a pic of your holster?

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I carry appendix. It works well in, and out, of the car.
    I usually carry appendix as well if I'm going to be sitting for any period of time. On short drives to town, I just wear it at about 4 o'clock.

I have been considering mounting a kydex rig under the steering column in my truck, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Mine is on my hip at about 4 o'clock, OTW...Works well for me. To the OP, I do the same thing, by lifting my shirt up a bit, this allows me to clear the seat belt easier...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    Any chance you could post a pic of your holster?
    I use this for my Walther P99 .40S&W and it is perfect for driving (gun is right there and oriented to my left) once twisted to CROSSDRAW it is easily concealed under long t-shirt or any dress or sport jacket.

FIST, INC.

bosco
    Last edited by boscobeans; July 19th, 2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: sp

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    As we don't have a concealment requirement in Minnesota, I bought this to use in my vehicle.

Amazon.com: Holster with magazine pouch for Keltec PF9: Sports & Outdoors

My RAV4 has a wide plastic trim piece around the lower part of the seat that it clips firmly to, & in a position that draws nicely & is fairly concealable behind my leg...although I haven't used it much this summer. My 4:30 IWB location is still accessible when belted in.

It will be used much more when I'm wearing a heavy coat in the winter.
    Last edited by ArkhmAsylm; July 19th, 2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: * additional detail *
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

A lot of the time when in less than savory neighborhoods I sit it on my lap.

Ankle rigs are decent while driving as well as x-draw.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

+1 Appendix carry works!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

cmb
    Short of a holster in the car for the gun I am carrying or another gun, which means I leave a gun in the car or must holster possibly in a public place appendix and ankle are the best options...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    before seatbelt laws , a holster, IWB or OWB at 11 oclock and covered by a vest was all that was needed.
    now 'click it or ticket.....so a secondary in the left vest pocket, making sure it does not get caught up when you pull he waist part of the belt,
    in concert with the 3:30 gun -which is kinda restricted, is what i go with. paying attention so there are no surprises helps.
    when a car is in motion we are driving and looking 2 or more seconds into the future.
    when its stopped, does not mean we stop looking to.

main reason to keep concealed is , suppose someone like a soccer mom or....in a taller vehicle looks over and sees a gun.
    thats a cell phone call that will likely be made. id rather avoid that.
    and when i exit the car, i just walk away-- the gun is on me with no action needed on my part.

i use holsters that are comfortable for all day, so even a 2 hour drive does not have me thinking about putting it
    in the console.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links