Carrying while I have a newborn or very young child with me

This is a discussion on Carrying while I have a newborn or very young child with me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my CWL for a little over a year now, and have a gun on or within immediate reach 90% of the time. ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By youngda9
  • 2 Post By WonderBra
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Stubborn
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: Carrying while I have a newborn or very young child with me

Carrying while I have a newborn or very young child with me

I have had my CWL for a little over a year now, and have a gun on or within immediate reach 90% of the time. My wife and I are expecting a baby next month, and I anticiapte that this will probably close the gap on the 10% of the time I am not currently carrying. However, I have been running some scenarios in my head, and wanted to see what you guys do/would do.
    Obviously if my wife is with me and a threat presents itself, the baby goes to the wife and I maintain myself in between the threat and wife and baby. How close do you tell your significant others to stay to you. Obiously I don't want to hurt my child's hearing if I have to fire, but hearing loss is definitely a better option than...
    Secondly; If I have the baby with me, and the wife isn't with me my instinct is to stay out of the fight 100% and evade if at all possible. If evading isn't an option what do you do? If the baby is in the stroller I envision pushing her a safe distance away from me, but within reach and then addressing the threat; but if she in my arms then what?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Carry baby on non-dominant side...your hip will become the child's seat while you walk around. Increase your SA. Avoid fights at all costs.

There are no winners in (gun)fights, only losers.
    Stubborn, Doodle and TSiWRX like this.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by dbramhall View Post
    my instinct is to stay out of the fight 100% and evade if at all possible.
    That should be options 1, 2 and 3.

For me ... in the event my gun comes out of the holster, I've already concluded that me or my loved one is about to get seriously hurt or die. Hearing loss would be the least of my worries.

If there is enough time to communicate and move my family, I'm moving with them.
    MadMac and TSiWRX like this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

VIP Member
    Evasion should always be your primary response, whether the baby is with you or not. Avoidance is the name of the game.

Regarding your other scenarios, welcome to cc'ing (and parenthood ;-). The combinations and permutations of situations and possible responses are endless. Proper training is key. I've decided to stick with the basics. In additon to formal training, I stay proficient with running my gun, and I'm constantly studying laws, case precedence and tactics. These are healthy thoughts going through your mind, and are good ones to ponder as you continue to work on your situational awareness. Having a child does wonders for your SA ;-).

The folks here have even convinced me to start carrying non-lethal options, although I'm still somewhat reluctant to carry so much equipment.

Edit: You'll see many different proposed scenarios and responses posted on this forum. I agree that these are sometimes good mental excercies, but my past law enforcement experience shows that what happens in real life is always different from what you anticipated. I draw peace of mind by staying trained up, and knowing that when/if the next bad situation arises, that it will likely take me by surprise, but that I'll be able to fall back on training and respond accordingly.
    TSiWRX likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I'll agree with "Youngda9" always carry baby/child on "off-side", keeping gun hand free. Condition yourself to always turn side ways to turn child away from threat. Teach or train your wife to always step behind you if a "situation" arises. This way your body and weapon will always be between any threat and your wife and child. Maybe practice at the range, holding a 10 or 20 pound bag of potatos in your off-side arm, and draw and fire one-handed. You might look or feel silly doing this, but if it helps or conditions you then its worth any "funny" looks you might get. Just my $.02
    Last edited by Stubborn; July 20th, 2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: speleing
    TSiWRX likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If this is your first child, be prepared for some sleepless nights for the next 6 to 12 months. Learn to take some naps during the day if at all possible, you'll need them.

In regards to self-defense, I am just as stumped as you. Mine is 8 years old now and I'm still not sure what to tell her to do in an emergency where we are together. I'd like to get her trained for a particular response but I'm just not sure which response would be best without knowing the circumstance. For example, I could tell her to run away and hide in the event I have to fight a bad-guy. However, if there is more than one bad guy, one of them may go after her. Heck, she may be the actual target. On the other hand, I could have her get behind me. But if bullets or knifes start flying, she could get hit too. I suppose maybe I could come up with two different code words and decide on the spot which one works best for that situation and train her to follow them.

My daughters are 3 and 6. They aren't going to realize a dangerous situation or know how to respond no matter how much I train them. My plan is to get in front of them if there is any danger. I don't think there is any other good gameplan.

OP, if you haven't bought a safe for your house, I would highly recommend buying one. The gun should either be on your person or in the safe. You don't want to risk a horrible accident.

How important is your new baby's life to you?

Seems to me you should take a defensive shooting class and work through possible scenarios with a professional instructor.

Everyone wants to carry a gun, but very few want to spend some coin on professional training.

Survival is a very personal thing. It means something different to everyone.

In my case, I've been through 5 different gunfighting classes in the last 25 years. Two at Chapman Academy back when Ray Chapman was still teaching there, and three at APT Academy. Of those, one was a combat shotgun course and one was a defensive carbine course. All of them cost some personal sacrifice and for each class, I spent over a year saving the money to attend.

Many people here have attended much more than that. But I would say the majority have attended zero. So again, I ask, How important is your new baby's life to you?
    First Sgt likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator

I made this video when my son was about 7 months old, I believe.

Having the baby in an on-body carrier allows you to be hands free. The downside, of course, is that the baby will be between you and the threat (unless you carry him/her on your back or more to one side and can turn to put your own body between). Being more confident that you will not drop your child and that you can even run and draw is comforting, however.

There is a + and - to everything and I found that having control of my child while also being able to go hands free was far more of a plus than worrying about dragging around a stroller. Remember a stroller may not be able to go everywhere YOU need to go and weighs considerably more than your child nestled in a sling or carrier around your body. Also, you can have explosive movement without worrying about leaving your child behind. You can also turn your body to put it between you and your child should you choose to carry him/her more to one side than the other.

One should take caution with newborns and slings or baby-carriers though to be sure that baby's head and airways are not kinked.. other than that, baby-wearing is a very viable option for new parents or parents with a little one who cannot walk.

Yes, pushing the child away if he/she is in a stroller could be a great way to keep him/her out of the line of fire, but you have to also be cautious that he/she cannot be snatched up and used as a hostage. Either way, it stinks.

Yes, of course, avoidance is the key and if you MUST shoot I agree that staying alive is more important than a child's hearing.. I cover this in the video as well.

Links