First traffic stop while CC

This is a discussion on First traffic stop while CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like it went as it should have. One brownie point for the LEO for not freaking out and disarming you....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: First traffic stop while CC

Sounds like it went as it should have. One brownie point for the LEO for not freaking out and disarming you.
    RugerMak likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey delta: You end your comments with expecting the worst "based on other accounts I've heard and read". Not sure what all these "other accounts" are but they are more like the rotten apple that is spoiling all the good apples, if indeed the LEO has a problem with the public; more likely the motorist has a problem with LEOs and his "rights". Your account is by far the majority opinion/experience. Anyone who disagrees with my assessment, kindly give me FACTS and FIGURES and not just your particular exercise in agitating an LEO with your own problems of decency and responsibility, as opposed to what tokerblue says in Reply#8..
    I most certainly wasn't expecting the officer to treat me badly. I have read other forum posts from folks in Michigan and have spoken to two other CPL holders in my area who were all asked to step out of the car, disarmed, and the unloaded weapon was returned once the stop was over. Based on that information, I was expecting the same. Quite honestly, I don't know or don't recall what police departments they were stopped by. If it would have come to that, so be it. I was more concerned about the reaction from my kids in that scenario than anything else. Again, I'm happy that it turned out the way it did.

CPL or not, I have always made it a point to treat LEOs with respect and politeness and that has always been reciprocated in varied degrees. Having my kids in the car gave me the opportunity to convey that lesson to them as well.
    RugerMak likes this.

I spent a portion of my life doing police electronics==Installing and repairing: Radio, sirens, lights, shotgun holders, etc. I learned if given respect for waht they do, the respect becomes mutual.

I have never been stopped while carrying. Florida is a non inform state, and the CWP is not noteds on your drivers license not is it given when the officer does a license check of your car. After all. we have 2 cars in the family and wife does not have a CWP.
    I go to 4-5 Gun shows here in the Orlando area a year. They have a lot of state troopers, county sheriffs and city police there acting as door checkers and such. I asked many of them the sme question, in 2 parts:
    I am stopped by you for a traffic infraction. I am:
    1. Armed with it on my person, IWB at 3:00. or:
    2. I have a weapon in a locked box in the car
    I have a valid CWP. Should I tell the officer?
    Mostly all said in case 1, to politely inform "I have a permit and its inside WB at 3:00. My wallet with my license and registration is in my left hip pocket, what do you want me to do"
    They said they will tell you not to reach for it. A few said do not use the word GUN. Some of the rookies get a bit excited hearing it.

In case 2 they said not to mention it. As long as it is not at hand, they don't care.
    many said their departments are giving training on interactions with armed citizens.

Florida, for the most part is cool with armed citizens.
    One asked me what ammo I carry? I said hydrashoks.
    He pulled out his spare magazine, filled with hydrashoks and smiled

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    My one incident didn't turn out so well. I mentioned this in another unrelated thread, but figure I could mention it here too.

I was pulled over for speeding 41 in a 35 a couple of years ago. That was the last time I was pulled over. The law had just recently changed in Texas that all civilians can carry a gun in their car without a license as long as they are legally capable of owning a gun. So I had assumed I didn't need to show my CHL to the officer. I gave him my driver's license and insurance to him and then he asked me if I was carrying a gun. I'm not sure if he knew this from my plates or driver's license#, or if he just saw the CHL in my wallet because it was right next to my driver's license when I pulled it out. I told him, "yes, sir." At which point he began to very harshly chew me out saying I was required by law to inform him immediately and show my license. He said he could have my license revoked for it. Then he wrote me a ticket and sent me on my way.

When I took my last renewal course for CHL I found out the irony. If you are a Texas resident without a CHL but carrying a gun in your car, you are not required to tell the officer. But if you HAVE a CHL and are carrying a gun, then you are still required. Strange laws.
    This is what I'm interested in. I carry my gun in my car and I didn't know how to act in case of a traffic stop. I do not have a permit tho I plan to get one when my finances permits it. This clears it up but what if the cop asks me if I have a concealed gun in my car? What do I say?

I've had a couple encounters with LEO's while carring and they have all been positive. I acredit it to mutual respect.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starrman View Post
    A police officer pulls a guy over for speeding and has the following exchange:
    Officer: May I see your driver's license?
    Driver: I don't have one. I had it suspended when I got my 5th DUI.
    Officer: May I see the owner's card for this vehicle?
    Driver: It's not my car. I stole it.
    Officer: The car is stolen?
    Driver: That's right. But come to think of it, I think I saw the owner's card in the glove box when I was putting my gun in there.
    Officer: There's a gun in the glove box?
    Driver: Yes sir. That's where I put it after I shot and killed the woman who owns this car and stuffed her in the trunk.
    Officer: There's a BODY in the TRUNK?!?!?
    Driver: Yes, sir.
    Hearing this, the officer immediately called his captain. The car was quickly surrounded by police, and the captain approached the driver to handle the tense situation:
    Captain: Sir, can I see your license?
    Driver: Sure. Here it is. (It was valid).
    Captain: Who's car is this?
    Driver: It's mine, officer. Here's the owner's card. (The driver owned the car).
    Captain: Could you slowly open your glove box so I can see if there's a gun in it?
    Driver: Yes, sir, but there's no gun in it. Sure enough, there was nothing in the glove box.
    Captain: Would you mind opening your trunk? I was told you said there's a body in it.
    Driver: No problem. (Trunk is opened; no body).
    Captain: I don't understand it. The officer who stopped you said you told him you didn't have a license, stole the car, had a gun in the glove box, and that there was a dead body in the trunk.
    Driver: Oh Yeah, I'll bet the liar told you I was speeding, too!!!!
    Unfortunately, someone may actually go that far someday.

Speeder Makes Fake 911 Call to Avoid Ticket | NBC Miami
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Stopped you for 5 over? Really? In ga you won't even be bothered unless your 12 over. I actually think its unlawful for anyone to pull you over for less than 10 over except Georgia state patrol

Put yourself in their position

You have to understand it from the cops perspective. They don't know you.

If you don't tell them about your gun, and they find it, or see it, they have to wonder why you didn't tell them. Are you a bad guy? Is their life at risk?

If a cop walks up and you immediately tell them that you're carrying then they understand that you're thinking about everyone's safety. You treat them with respect, they treat you with respect.

People with carry permits have been checked out. People without permits who have guns hidden in their cars that didn't tell you about the gun could be a bad guy.

Things happen fast, so don't expect them to give you the benefit of the doubt if you haven't given them the benefit of the doubt.

‪Traffic Stop - Police Shooting‬‏ - YouTube

Well I just got pulled over for the first time. concealed carrying. First of all I was speeding in a const. Zone doing 73 in a 55. When I passed Him I knew he was going to pull me over. so I just keep going until he turn around and got up to me and put on he's lights. I got my wallet out long before he got up to me and he put on he's lights on. As soon as he did I pulled over rolled down the window and got both licenses out and when he walked up he ask for my license and insurance. I handed him both licenses and I was getting my insurance card and he ask me were my gun was. I pointed at my side. He said that just to keep it cover. I said ok. He ask if I had any moving violation on my license I said no. I told him I had left my updated insurance card at home. And the one I had in my truck was no good. So he went my to he car did he's thing. Come back said that he was give me a ticket for no updated insurance card and told me that if I fax a copy of the updated card to the office in well be dropped off. I said ok. He said that he was dropped my speed from 73 in a 55 to 60 in a 55 and made it a non moving violation. which was really nice of him and said I just could pay it over the phone or Internet. I said ok. He seen that I had a CDL also and said he was not going to mark it down because he said if he marked it on the ticket it would not matter how low he made the speed it would go on my license. And he said that is a big mess for me. So he was nice enough to not put that on my record. So I would said it went a lot better then it could of I could be paying a 400+ ticket instead I'm paying 188. very nice Kansas state patrol officer.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wisconsin just approved CC finally, I went through the class for my Utah and Wisconsin permit but can't even apply for my WI permit until November 1. At any rate, I'm a little concerned how the officers will react since everything is new up there and they aren't used to pulling people over with firearms. Luckily I'm an outside sales rep that sells police equipment to departments for a living so odds are I will know them or they'll know me but even so I'll be quit nervous the first time I get pulled over (moreso than normal). Granted it's been over 4 years since I've been pulled over but you know the first day I carry in my car I'll see the cherries and berries in my mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Wisconsin just approved CC finally, I went through the class for my Utah and Wisconsin permit but can't even apply for my WI permit until November 1. At any rate, I'm a little concerned how the officers will react since everything is new up there and they aren't used to pulling people over with firearms. Luckily I'm an outside sales rep that sells police equipment to departments for a living so odds are I will know them or they'll know me but even so I'll be quit nervous the first time I get pulled over (moreso than normal). Granted it's been over 4 years since I've been pulled over but you know the first day I carry in my car I'll see the cherries and berries in my mirror.
    Yea I was a little nervous. Because it was my first time with a hand gun.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Nice to hear in light of some of the bad experiences I've recently read about.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A couple of months ago I was stopped by a Colorado State Trooper. I've had my CCW permit for 8-9 years and have never been stopped previously. We do not have a declaration requirement here so I wasn't sure how to handle it. Like said before, I kept my hands at 12 o'clock on the wheel advising the officer that I had a permit and a loaded handgun was laying on the seat next to me. He thanked me and asked that I leave it alone. Then he proceeded with the insurance, license, registration thing.

He handled the whole situation very professionally, a true credit to the organization. Best of all, he just gave me a warning for being 13 miles over! :)

Quote Originally Posted by claimbuster View Post
    A couple of months ago I was stopped by a Colorado State Trooper. I've had my CCW permit for 8-9 years and have never been stopped previously. We do not have a declaration requirement here so I wasn't sure how to handle it. Like said before, I kept my hands at 12 o'clock on the wheel advising the officer that I had a permit and a loaded handgun was laying on the seat next to me. He thanked me and asked that I leave it alone. Then he proceeded with the insurance, license, registration thing.

He handled the whole situation very professionally, a true credit to the organization. Best of all, he just gave me a warning for being 13 miles over! :)
    That I would never do. If an officer sees the gun before you say anything, you may have a gun pointed at you. An open weapon visible to an approaching officer could make things go a little differently than you hoped. Can't say as I would blame them, either!!

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    WI didn't include "must inform" into their new statute...so don't. THey don't need to know...the fact that you are legally carrying is not more germaine than the fact that you have a cell phone. You can be completely courteous and respectful without ever mentioning a gun on your hip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links