First traffic stop while CC

This is a discussion on First traffic stop while CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To the OP: Sounds like a good encounter. To kelcarry: I've heard of people having negative and even scary encounters when informing LEOs of their ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: First traffic stop while CC

VIP Member
    To the OP:

Sounds like a good encounter.

To kelcarry:

I've heard of people having negative and even scary encounters when informing LEOs of their carry status during traffic stops. However, I agree that the vast majority of encounters go similar to the OPs.
    I know from the other side of the traffic stop, legally carried guns are a non issue for me. Of all the CFP holders I have stopped, I have only cited one, and he needed the citation.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Coming home from a gathering one evening, it was around 11 PM and I was on quiet roads. From out of no where I saw blue lights on my tail, looked down at my speedometer and realized I was doing 55 MPH in a 40 MPH zone. I did all the right things: pulled safely off the road as far as I could, put on the inside light and placed both hands on top of the steering wheel. The Deputy approached from the passenger side and the exchange went something like this:

Deputy: Sir, I pulled you over because you were doing 55 MPH in a 40 MPH zone. Is this your car?

Me: Yes.

Deputy: Do you have any concealed weapons in the car?

Me: Yes.

Deputy: Do you have a permit to have concealed weapons?

Me: Yes. I am a retired Federal Agent.

Deputy: Thank you, Sir. Have a nice night.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    WI didn't include "must inform" into their new statute...so don't. THey don't need to know...the fact that you are legally carrying is not more germaine than the fact that you have a cell phone. You can be completely courteous and respectful without ever mentioning a gun on your hip.
    No law in Tn either, but why not? I am not an LEO, but why would I knowingly put an officer in a more stressful situation just because I think the law backs up my obstinance? I would think that outside of a domestic dispute a traffic stop of an unknown person would be stressful, particularly if it is at night. Sure there may be an officer who flies off the handle but I think that will be a rare exception. If he does, so what? I won't do anything threatening. I'm legal--it's why I got the permit.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    No law in Tn either, but why not? I am not an LEO, but why would I knowingly put an officer in a more stressful situation just because I think the law backs up my obstinance? I would think that outside of a domestic dispute a traffic stop of an unknown person would be stressful, particularly if it is at night. Sure there may be an officer who flies off the handle but I think that will be a rare exception. If he does, so what? I won't do anything threatening. I'm legal--it's why I got the permit.
    How is it more stressful if LEO doesn't know it's there?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL your CWFL is not attached to your DL, not attached to your plates, and you're not required to notify. I doubt very many folks who intend to shoot the officer who's stopped them will bother to announce the presence of a firearm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    Yeah I will absolutely tell the officer. I worked for a PD for several years and like I mentioned work closely with them now. Especially because I often carry my wallet in my right cargo pocket of my tact. pants or my right back pocket in my jeans I don't want to be reaching for anything and have my shirt slip up revealing my weapon. That's for my safety and the sanity of the officer. I understand I don't "have" to, but there is no reason I can think of not to. I want the officer to know that I'm one of the good guys. I don't "have" to be polite, shut my car off, keep my hands on the wheel, etc but it's in my own self interest to.

I plan to just hand the officer my driver's license and my good-guy card (my CPL) at the same time, and let him figure out what I should do next. I haven't been pulled over in a long, long time (knock on wood) but I did tell a cop I had a CPL and my handgun when he was filling out an accident report after somebody side-swiped my wife's mini-van. He just looked at me and said, "No need for you to even mention it; I have no issues with it."
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links