First traffic stop while CC

This is a discussion on First traffic stop while CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a fairly small town with slow speed limits throughout. I was driving through town with my kids yesterday evening when I drove ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: First traffic stop while CC

I live in a fairly small town with slow speed limits throughout. I was driving through town with my kids yesterday evening when I drove past a police cruiser. The lights went, the cruiser made a quick U-turn, and I noticed I was driving 40mph in a 35mph zone. I know...regardless of how much, I was driving faster than the limit. After pulling over, I took off my sunglasses, shut the car off, and kept my hands at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel. The officer walked up and stood next to my rear, driver side door and asked for my license, etc. Not sure if it was just her normal approach or if it had anything to do with my CPL, but I don't recall an officer standing that far back from my window as she did in this instance. Since we're required by law to announce, I replied "I have a CPL, I have a pistol on my right hip, how would you like me to proceed officer?" Her response was a polite, but direct "Just hand me your license, ..."

She was very polite while I collected my information, even interacted with my wide-eyed kids a bit. After what seemed like forever, she came back up to my car, asked if everyone was buckled and in proper booster seats, and handed me my documents simply saying "just slow down." I was quite surprised, as I was expecting a ticket, and felt the entire experience was a positive one. Not sure if my kids being in the car made a difference, but based on other accounts I've heard and read I was honestly expecting to be disarmed. Definitely a thumbs up to the officer.

Sounds like it went well. Good job on your part to.
    RugerMak likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Went as it should! Back when I was active, I gave everyone 10 mph before I even looked at them, unless they were cutting in & out, or doing something else to draw my attention. Another thing we mostly did, regardless of speed, most tickets were written for only 9 mph over the limit, which was the least amount of points.
    RugerMak likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

A police officer pulls a guy over for speeding and has the following exchange:
    Officer: May I see your driver's license?
    Driver: I don't have one. I had it suspended when I got my 5th DUI.
    Officer: May I see the owner's card for this vehicle?
    Driver: It's not my car. I stole it.
    Officer: The car is stolen?
    Driver: That's right. But come to think of it, I think I saw the owner's card in the glove box when I was putting my gun in there.
    Officer: There's a gun in the glove box?
    Driver: Yes sir. That's where I put it after I shot and killed the woman who owns this car and stuffed her in the trunk.
    Officer: There's a BODY in the TRUNK?!?!?
    Driver: Yes, sir.
    Hearing this, the officer immediately called his captain. The car was quickly surrounded by police, and the captain approached the driver to handle the tense situation:
    Captain: Sir, can I see your license?
    Driver: Sure. Here it is. (It was valid).
    Captain: Who's car is this?
    Driver: It's mine, officer. Here's the owner's card. (The driver owned the car).
    Captain: Could you slowly open your glove box so I can see if there's a gun in it?
    Driver: Yes, sir, but there's no gun in it. Sure enough, there was nothing in the glove box.
    Captain: Would you mind opening your trunk? I was told you said there's a body in it.
    Driver: No problem. (Trunk is opened; no body).
    Captain: I don't understand it. The officer who stopped you said you told him you didn't have a license, stole the car, had a gun in the glove box, and that there was a dead body in the trunk.
    Driver: Oh Yeah, I'll bet the liar told you I was speeding, too!!!!
    got a gun for my wife....best trade i ever made

I have never been disarmed by the Police, and I always tell them even though we are not required. It has gotten me ou of at least two tickets. They know you have a CCW because it's connected to your plates, so it doesn't hurt to be courteous. I was a witness once to some punks doing some vandalism in the neighborhood, when the cop showed up, I showed him my CWP and told him for our safety, that I was carrying. He asked where and what it was. I told him j-frame in my right pocket. Cop says, "keep your hand out of your pocket, unless you need it." No problems.
    Thylacine and RugerMak like this.

I got stopped last month and although not required to tell them (might as well, it's the same number as your DL so why cause him/her any stress) I immediately told the officer I had a carry permit and asked if he wanted to see it, too. His replies were No, Where is your weapon?, Leave it there, and, then with a big smile, "If I don't see yours, you won't see mine" Good encounter over carrying even though I did get a ticket for speding--deserved.
    TheGiant, Thylacine and RugerMak like this.

My one incident didn't turn out so well. I mentioned this in another unrelated thread, but figure I could mention it here too.

I was pulled over for speeding 41 in a 35 a couple of years ago. That was the last time I was pulled over. The law had just recently changed in Texas that all civilians can carry a gun in their car without a license as long as they are legally capable of owning a gun. So I had assumed I didn't need to show my CHL to the officer. I gave him my driver's license and insurance to him and then he asked me if I was carrying a gun. I'm not sure if he knew this from my plates or driver's license#, or if he just saw the CHL in my wallet because it was right next to my driver's license when I pulled it out. I told him, "yes, sir." At which point he began to very harshly chew me out saying I was required by law to inform him immediately and show my license. He said he could have my license revoked for it. Then he wrote me a ticket and sent me on my way.

When I took my last renewal course for CHL I found out the irony. If you are a Texas resident without a CHL but carrying a gun in your car, you are not required to tell the officer. But if you HAVE a CHL and are carrying a gun, then you are still required. Strange laws.

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    I have never been disarmed by the Police, and I always tell them even though we are not required. It has gotten me ou of at least two tickets.
    - Maybe I'm cynical, but it's more likely you got out of the tickets by treating the officer with courtesy, respect and honesty.

I'm not required to inform in CT and I don't. I've been let go with a verbal warning the last two times I've been pulled over (speeding, turning right on red). I attribute that to being honest both times.
    RugerMak and joker1 like this.

Doesn't sound like the LEO was too concerned about a permit holder's firearm...nice for a change!

In MI? city LE, county LE, or trooper?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delta1679 View Post
    I live in a fairly small town with slow speed limits throughout. I was driving through town with my kids yesterday evening when I drove past a police cruiser. The lights went, the cruiser made a quick U-turn, and I noticed I was driving 40mph in a 35mph zone. I know...regardless of how much, I was driving faster than the limit. After pulling over, I took off my sunglasses, shut the car off, and kept myhands at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel. The officer walked up and stood next to my rear, driver side door and asked for my license, etc. .
    Correction - FIVE MPH over the limit traveling in the opposite direction is called a SPEED TRAP.

Or maybe she thought you were HOT
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I would hope that with time and education (for some LE), that would be an average stop
    sigmanluke likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    It has not happened to me but a friend of mine's truck got hit by another car, and when the LEO showed up to do the paperwork my friend told him he had a weapon in the car. He was totally unconcerned. The LEO just said "ok" and kept going working on his report. He probably sees that frequently here in Florida.
    RugerMak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post

Or maybe she thought you were HOT
    I'm fairly confident that wasn't it...although she wasn't tough on the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

In MI? city LE, county LE, or trooper?
    Yep, in Michigan. City police. I was a senior year in High School, some 20 years ago, the last time I was stopped by an officer from our city police department. LOL

I had an interaction with a TX DPS trooper at 70 mph,I noticed he pulled up alongside me on a 4 lane highway,I kinda had an idea why but I just looked straight ahead,he sat there and I knew he wanted my attention,I looked as he pulled on his seat belt strap,I nodded and fastened my seat belt as he drove off,I really gotta get in the habit of wearing a seat belt
    Buckj likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey delta: You end your comments with expecting the worst "based on other accounts I've heard and read". Not sure what all these "other accounts" are but they are more like the rotten apple that is spoiling all the good apples, if indeed the LEO has a problem with the public; more likely the motorist has a problem with LEOs and his "rights". Your account is by far the majority opinion/experience. Anyone who disagrees with my assessment, kindly give me FACTS and FIGURES and not just your particular exercise in agitating an LEO with your own problems of decency and responsibility, as opposed to what tokerblue says in Reply#8..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links