Business with no carry in KY

This is a discussion on Business with no carry in KY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so in kentucky any business can post the no carry sign outside of their establishment. Now I am all for their right to do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business with no carry in KY

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

Business with no carry in KY

Ok so in kentucky any business can post the no carry sign outside of their establishment. Now I am all for their right to do so but in the state of KY it is not an illegal offense to carry inside that building that has it posted. All the business owner can do is ask you to leave if they see you with it, but hey concealed is concealed right. now if you dont leave then they can get you for a tresspassing violation when the law shows up.

now my question knowing that it is not an illegal offense but that i still may get kicked out and banned from a place just b/c i carried in it, should I still carry in a place like this yes or no, please explain your reasonings..

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    unless I had to do business there I would not buy from any anti gun places. why give em my money?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

1943 - 2009
    should I still carry in a place like this yes or no,
    That's a decision only you can make, rangerman.

An anonymous Internet forum is not the best place to go for legal advice.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Same situation here in Missouri. If a business is posted I assume they do not want my business period and go some where else. I quit doing business with my favorite farm supply store because they posted.

If I can't find an alternative place to get what I need.......each man makes his own decisions.

Assistant Administrator
    should I still carry in a place like this yes or no
    I also don't feel able to give either answer - it HAS to be your decision, based on your judgement and assessment.

As others say and I agree - take business elsewhere if possible and also if so doing write them to explain your decision.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'd also recommend writing the place and telling them why they lost your business. Whether or not it makes a difference, there's a good principle there to follow.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    My question is what good is the law?

In Texas if it is post (and posted correctly) you can be arrested for tresspassing and I think your CHL is suspended.

But to answer your question I agree with everyone else don't go and let them know why.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I'd love to see a list where we could compile a list of businesses in KY (perhaps broken down by city) where CCW is not allowed. Some other states like VA and OH have this.

If their name was added to the anti-CCW list perhaps a polite letter informing them of same, encouraging them to re-consider their policy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly
    I'd love to see a list where we could compile a list of businesses in KY (perhaps broken down by city) where CCW is not allowed. Some other states like VA and OH have this.

If their name was added to the anti-CCW list perhaps a polite letter informing them of same, encouraging them to re-consider their policy.
    Hrm, I wonder if the www.kc3.org folks have a list? I haven't gotten around to joining the organization yet, so I'm not sure. I can't imagine it's a lot of businesses though as it's rare even in pseudo gun-unfriendly (for KY) Lexington.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday
    Hrm, I wonder if the www.kc3.org folks have a list? I haven't gotten around to joining the organization yet, so I'm not sure. I can't imagine it's a lot of businesses though as it's rare even in pseudo gun-unfriendly (for KY) Lexington.
    I don't see a list on the KC3 site.

There are at least two places in Lexington that I've noticed since carrying:

Value City Furniture
    Cinemark Theatre at Lexington Green (perhaps all of them)

I'm in Kentucky and I don't go into any business posting no weapons. They clearly don't need my money.
    Dave

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Rangerman, you seem to have summarized that portion of KY law quite acurately. Posting a business in Ky, is as useless as a gas station in amish country.

Frankly I haven't seen to many places posted. I am ashamed to admit it, but I don't really look anymore. If I do notice, I can and will take my $$ elsewhere.

If I have to go there for one reason or another, I ignore their little sign and waltz right in. If I am there as part of my job, I won't overcharge them, but I do make sure not to cut them ANY slack either.
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; August 2nd, 2006 at 09:44 PM.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    heheh ya i made sure to read it three or four times before i posted this... thanks for the opinions guys, i figured most would say it was my choice but i just wanted to see if there was any advice for or against carrying there...

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    Rangerman, you seem to have summarized that portion of KY law quite acurately. Posting a business in Ky, is as useless as a gas station in amish country.

Frankly I haven't seen to many places posted. I am ashamed to admit it, but I don't really look anymore. If I do notice, I can and will take my $$ elsewhere.

If I have to go there for one reason or another, I ignore their little sign and waltz right in. If I am there as part of my job, I won't overcharge them, but I do make sure not to cut them ANY slack either.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly
    I don't see a list on the KC3 site.

There are at least two places in Lexington that I've noticed since carrying:

Value City Furniture
    Cinemark Theatre at Lexington Green (perhaps all of them)
    The new movie theaters behind Fayette Mall off Nicholasville road don't have the sign. It might be because they are new, but if I'm hitting the movies, they get my business as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday
    The new movie theaters behind Fayette Mall off Nicholasville road don't have the sign. It might be because they are new, but if I'm hitting the movies, they get my business as of now.
    The AmStar cinemas at Brannon Crossing (Nich. Rd just past county line) are not posted either. I've been a repeat customer there :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links