I'm going to exercise my right to CCW in our national parks this weekend

This is a discussion on I'm going to exercise my right to CCW in our national parks this weekend within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So it is going to be way to hot here this weekend so the wife and I are taking our four year old to the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I'm going to exercise my right to CCW in our national parks this weekend

So it is going to be way to hot here this weekend so the wife and I are taking our four year old to the Blue Ridge mountains this weekend. We normally go in November but it is going to be 20 degrees cooler in the mountains this weekend.

Our annual visit always includes Grandfather Mountain, Tweetsie, the swing bridge and a visit to the general stor ein Boone.

The wife will have her Springfield XD9SC on her and I will take the Glock 23 (my EDC).

It will be nice being able to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway this year and not have to dis-arm.
    TN_Mike and RugerMak like this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I thought that was not active until December?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    No, it went into effect Feb 2010.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I was recently in Blue Ridge. I will always carry when visiting that mountain area, lol. There are bears and dueling banjos out there...
    RugerMak likes this.

haha dueling banjos
    .40 is pushing it for blackbear.... I'm from the west where we're lucky if we see a 250 pound boar but from what I've read they can get twice that size easy back east, I'd want at least a 45 myself(got my XDM45 for camping season). on the other hand you have better odds of your glock jamming than you do of getting charged by a blackbear(not a poke at glocks...that was just stating unlikelihood) if both happened at the same time you're probably just the most unlucky guy alive and probably wouldn't have lived much longer anyway

have fun at blueridge
    PS right to carry is legal but discharging is still a $10,000 fine, however, as I have been known to say, I'd rather pay a $10,000 poaching fee than a $3000 funeral fee.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Stay away from the bear cubs and for that matter any wild animal your are not cable of choke-slamming. Have a great time, take lots of pictures, and send some of that cool air downhill, please!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    That's for state parks. National parks have been GTG for a while. Too bad you have to disarm for the attractions that charge admission. Enjoy it, it's beautiful up there.
    RugerMak likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    So it is going to be way to hot here this weekend so the wife and I are taking our four year old to the Blue Ridge mountains this weekend. We normally go in November but it is going to be 20 degrees cooler in the mountains this weekend.

Our annual visit always includes Grandfather Mountain, Tweetsie, the swing bridge and a visit to the general stor ein Boone.

The wife will have her Springfield XD9SC on her and I will take the Glock 23 (my EDC).

It will be nice being able to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway this year and not have to dis-arm.
    Great! Have fun and know that there are some of us here who will be very jealous of you this weekend. I'd love to take the family there. Have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    That's for state parks. National parks have been GTG for a while. Too bad you have to disarm for the attractions that charge admission. Enjoy it, it's beautiful up there.
    Why is that? I hadn't heard this aspect of the law. Why must one disarm for any attraction that charges admission?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Why is that? I hadn't heard this aspect of the law. Why must one disarm for any attraction that charges admission?
    Any place in NC that charge admission is no carry per state law. This is just one of our aggravating gun laws. It's not related to the parks carry. And Grandfather Mtn charges admission, and the part that charges is still private property. Some of the backcountry is now a state park. But that's just the part you hike in. Same with Tweetsie. Even though the cowboys are packing some pretty sweet blank shooting revolvers.

14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

GS_14-269.3

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

So can you legally carry in all national parks now if you can legally carry in the state the park is in? I'm going to acadia NP in Maine this fall.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    So can you legally carry in all national parks now if you can legally carry in the state the park is in? I'm going to acadia NP in Maine this fall.
    Short answer is yes

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just remember there are restrictions on carrying in federal buildings. Can't quote the exact wording right now but basically you can not carry in most buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Just remember there are restrictions on carrying in federal buildings. Can't quote the exact wording right now but basically you can not carry in most buildings.
    And most of them have posted signage since the change: visitors centers, museums, etc. Considering that cars get broken into in parking lots, I feel a lot better maintaining possession.

I don't carry in NP's because of native critters. I carry because of the common North American azzhat...
    RugerMak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    The 2 are absolutely unrelated. My mention of state parks was because someone had our state park carry law date mixed up with national parks carry. Sorry if that was the confusion. If you can carry in the state you can carry in the national park, regardless of whether you can carry in state parks. Carry in national parks is not related to carry in state parks. That was part of the first national park directive that was struck down. The law that was passed did not have that language in it at all.

If it were dependent on state parks you could not carry in national parks in NC. And I would have been arrested/ticketed by now since I tend to OC while I am hiking and have crossed paths with a few rangers.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    maddy345 Since you have been over this way to the same spots then come on west a bit and visit Yancey county & MT Michell. Free and higher/cooler. Temps at higher el. are closer to 78* or a bit less we hit 82* yesterday down in a valley and the best little general store/ gunshop you will ever see just west of Burnsville. Prices Creek General Store. Sells all guns at 10% over his price. Also a great archery shop 2 miles away with around 50 bows in stock all the time and every accessory you could think of. COPPERS TRADEING POST with very good prices. If you fear black bears then bring a bear spray. Pistols are a last resort for the weekend warriors and non-hunters. There a couple nice old motels there and several B&Bs ,cool old town square town. You could also visit some of the many craft shops in the area of yancey and mitchell counties.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links