gun in the glove box

This is a discussion on gun in the glove box within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok so I work part time in the mall and as everyone knows malls hate people with guns. I have learned on the forum that ...

Thread: gun in the glove box

gun in the glove box

ok so I work part time in the mall and as everyone knows malls hate people with guns. I have learned on the forum that one should always have their gun handy, just never know when u will need it. so what I would like to ask is when I do work the mall which is a couple times a week, should I bring my gun for the trip and lock it in the glove box? if I do that should I keep it loaded or unloaded with the mag in the trunk? also has anyone had any problems with their guns or ammunition due to it being in the heat or cold a lot? see we have been having a lot of heat and humidity in ohio and my car becomes an oven and in the winter an ice box. I donít want to leave it in the glove box if it will mess up my gun. please help me out don't know what to do!

2. Remove Ads

If you're going to leave the gun in the car, think about getting a lock box or a car safe. I have the Center of Mass safe and it works really well. Glove box is not secure. http://www.center-of-mass.com/index.htm

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Is it illegal to carry your weapon with you while working, or in the mall itself? If not, I'd carry it.

Otherwise... what Todd said. I have the same gun safe he mentioned. It's much safer than keeping a pistol in your glove box.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member
    Glovebox is too easy to steal from. I suggest a car safe bolted down. Car safes are usually anti pry proof. It dosen't make it where you can not pry them open but makes it very hard to pry open. Also if its bolted down the theif can not walk off with it.

VIP Member
    Agree with others who recommend Center of Mass auto gun safe. I have two and never worry about having to leave my pistol in the truck or the car.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    Agree with others who recommend Center of Mass auto gun safe. I have two and never worry about having to leave my pistol in the truck or the car.

I'll be the third to say get a COM Safe! The people at COM are absolutely the best to deal with too! (Thanks Patrick @ COM!)

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

New Member Array blackeagle 603's Avatar

What about PRK?

Can someone help me with a right reading of Kalifornia law about handgun in car?

This is exactly what I've been looking for here in Kalifornia. I'm trying to figure exactly how to stay within the PRK's law while keeping ammo and handgun close as possible to hand. Ammo and handgun must locked in separate compartments of the vehicle or in (i recollect) separate locking containers.

What I'm trying to figure out with PRK law is if using 2 separate locking containers (1 for handgun, 1 for ammo) allows me to have both in the same compartment (driver's seat).

dw

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    As far as the extreme temp changes, I'd go with a GLOCK...
    It's what I use whenever severe environmental factors are at play...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I think I can speak about the temperatures affecting guns & ammo... They don't. Before I got my CCW (came in the mail today, btw. YAY!), I put my gun in my glovebox when I'd leave my car for any place I couldn't have it one me. This summer (so far) it's gotten to about 118 degrees and the gun and ammo shoot just the same as it did before.

I leave my windows slightly cracked to make sure the heat doesn't get too bad and the pressure doesn't build-up in the car (if you have a crack in your windshield or something, the heat will break it bigger, btw). Here in AZ we're allowed to leave the gun in the glovebox and it's legal, so is plain view but I don't want someone to see the gun if I'm not there to use it. (Our legislature is also trying to pass the map pocket -- in the door -- as another exception to the law, too.)

Cheers.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    One caveat, if you have to go to your hot car and grab the shootin iron for action, you might find it "too hot to handle"!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lead Moderator
    a safe is the way to go when carry is not legal. also I you keep the mags /ammo with you it is less likely someone can use it if it does get taken.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links