What Can We Learn From This ABC Study On Concealed Carry?

What Can We Learn From This ABC Study On Concealed Carry?

This is a discussion on What Can We Learn From This ABC Study On Concealed Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some interesting food for thought, huh? Obviously a biased and flawed study, but what are your thoughts on how it portrays ccw permit holders? And ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: What Can We Learn From This ABC Study On Concealed Carry?

Question What Can We Learn From This ABC Study On Concealed Carry?

Some interesting food for thought, huh?

Obviously a biased and flawed study, but what are your thoughts on how it portrays ccw permit holders?

And regardless how skewed and flawed the study is, it begs the question. What kind of real training do you have?

Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world, Part One

Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world, Part Two

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I learned that you can skew anything you want in your favor.I practice drawing from retention at the range,and during steel target competition.
    One scenario they haven't shown is there are alot of War Vets attending College nowadays,I'd like to see them try the exercise with a few of them sitting in class
    RugerMak, retnavy and Thylacine like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I learned not to watch CBS.

One answer is that sometimes the BGs will have the upper hand, and you are screwed.
    One cannot be prepared for every eventuality. You must sleep sometimes.
    You have to put your attention on other things sometimes.
    You will at times be in a disadvantageous position.

However, mental preparedness, training, and practice go a long way to minimizing the above.
    RugerMak, jem102, retnavy and 1 others like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I learned that you can skew anything you want in your favor.
    This. I'm married to a sociologist. She's told me, many times, that statistics can be made to say whatever you want them to say.
    357and40, Mr B, RugerMak and 3 others like this.

While it said the actors were LEO's and news staff, it also looked like the participants with the guns were likely only 18 or 19 years old. I also don't believe any of them were actually CCW permit holders, but I may have missed that.

The main problem I had with it was that aired on national TV. Shown to their usual audience of useful idiots.
    RugerMak and retnavy like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

the take away should be that the media is biased and full of crap

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Video reposted by vpc..... Their motto is

"CCW permit holders don't protect innocent people. They kill them"

The videos are old and they are staged in a way to stack the odds in the bg's favor.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    RugerMak likes this.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

What about the four cops sitting in a cafe in Seattle? Perp walks in and shoots them all, are cops unprepared?
    One can have a scenario set up and make it work any way you wish. Figures lie, and liars figure.
    A very biased set up...but most of us already know that, right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Put a long clingy t-shirt on the CCW guy that is guaranteed to hang up on the weapon and make sure the "shooter" knows exactly which kid has the gun so he can go right at him and take him out first......yea that's an unbiased test!
    Are these the same guys that staged that Chevy truck gas tank story a few years ago by rigging the tank with explosives?
    RugerMak likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

mkh
    This is old and a staged thing rigged to show CCW in a bad way.

The best thing we can do is ignore it. Quit passing it around and let it die a dishonorable death. The more "hits" the video gets the more it will show up in search engines and the more lefties will see it.
    RugerMak and oneshot like this.

One point they did make that is true is to train for real life situtation.
    Range shooting alone may not hack it when it comes down to it.
    No matter how well you shoot target, there are other things to consider in real life;
    How to draw effectively, and sight in quickly, taking cover where possible, disengaging the safety
    and probably others I haven't trained for also
    357and40, GhostRed7 and noway2 like this.

We could learn it's not a "study," it's a one-sided illustration intended to prove one point of view. Mythbusters does a better job of "studies" - at least they usually have open minds.
    RugerMak and TN_Mike like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It was an interesting experiment. Although I would really have like to see a couple LEO's put in the same position that the students were in to see a comparison of the two. Although that might have not worked to support the skewed results they were looking for.
    Bark'n, RugerMak and 9MMare like this.

Lead Moderator
    When this "piece 'O' crap' first aired a couple of years ago my comment was that anyone that designed an experiment like this in/for a college class would have failed the class. That opinion is unchanged!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    We could learn it's not a "study," it's a one-sided illustration intended to prove one point of view. Mythbusters does a better job of "studies" - at least they usually have open minds.
    At least when Myhtbusters can not make the experiment go the way they want it to they will tell you "Since it did not go the way we expected & we want to see it explode we are strapping 85 lbs of C-4 to it & detonating it."
    RugerMak likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links