Going to Sturgis, SD end of the week by cycle, intend to carry! Thoughts??

This is a discussion on Going to Sturgis, SD end of the week by cycle, intend to carry! Thoughts?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in the late State of Denial, Wisconsin, where we soon will join the enlightened sheepdog society! Have my Utah non-resident permit, and my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Sturgis, SD end of the week by cycle, intend to carry! Thoughts??

I live in the late State of Denial, Wisconsin, where we soon will join the enlightened sheepdog society! Have my Utah non-resident permit, and my Florida NR permit. Researching both states, I seem to be good to go. Anyone with stories, recommendations, warnings? I have been to the motorcycle rally twice without permits, and will be taking my virginal trip through Minnesota and South Dakota armed. Thanks for your time in advance.

VIP Member
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

From what I can tell is if a business derives at least 50% of sales from alcohol you can't carry on the premises,which is probably a big majority of the fun places
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    There were some issues last year I believe with CCW or out of state LEO's carrying, major issues.
    Depending on where you are staying or going into you either cannot carry or must check your firearm for the duration which does not help much. If you are drinking at all and drawn the attention of LE they ussually have a zero tolerance on many issues and this may be one of them. I would call Sturgis PD and check on attitudes also, but keep in mind they bring in LE from all over the state to work the rally but the Chief and Sherriff head it all up.

I will say I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU. Sturgis was going to be my leave this year had reservations at the VIP campground and box seats for the concerts. Due to increased activity and violence here with the new kinder, gentler war known as Operation New Dawn I had to cancel again in order to take over a new camp. Enjoy the rally and send pics. Safe trip
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

dukalmighty:
    From what I can tell is if a business derives at least 50% of sales from alcohol you can't carry on the premises,which is probably a big majority of the fun places
    That pretty much covers it (apart from court houses and schools). You'll be fine carrying in, say, an Applebees or TGI Fridays, as these are considered restaurants and not bars. Prohibited places will have a sign posted. Welcome and have fun.

(Looks like the Buffalo Chip has quite a lineup this year.)

I'm going as well and will proudly be excercising my 2nd Amendment rights in any way I choose- I CC'd and OC'd there in '09 and wasn't met with the slightest bit of static from LEO's or the general public.

If any DC'ers are attending stop by and say hello at the the Loctite Tent right on Main St. across from the Museum. We'll be positioned in the parking lot between the Harley Dealership and Museum.

If you see a big orange KTM 640 Adventure running a set of knobbies parked in front of the tent, stop in and say hello-ask for Chip and I'l fix you up with some Loctite Swag.

Dirty

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I was thinking about this thread on my way home today and I noticed all of the bikes out on the road today.

I'm assuming the OP went as planned.

How did everything go? Update Please!

I don't believe it's officially started just yet.

Dirty

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysanchez View Post
    I don't believe it's officially started just yet.

Dirty
    Sorry...my mistake...I misunderstood. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I was thinking about this thread on my way home today and I noticed all of the bikes out on the road today.

I'm assuming the OP went as planned.

How did everything go? Update Please!
    Leaving Thursday night from Madison, WI. Hope to get to Worthington, MN, then drive to Sturgis Friday. I'll post pics when I can. Going to stop and see Chip at the Loctite Tent!

Quote Originally Posted by rlimke View Post
    Leaving Thursday night from Madison, WI. Hope to get to Worthington, MN, then drive to Sturgis Friday. I'll post pics when I can. Going to stop and see Chip at the Loctite Tent!
    Sweet. I'll look forward to the updates.

Have a good time & a safe trip.

Tip for the trip.
    A little known, but must see is
    Custer state park, just south of Mt. Rushmore.
    It was the highlight of my trip there.
    The food in the lodges is all fresh, and fabulous.
    Take the loop road, we got stopped by 200 buffalo crossing the road.
    Buffalo are impressive in a car, but on a bike, when they snort at you, you listen.
    Ride the pigtail wooden bridges, take the tunnels, Man it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysanchez View Post
    If you see a big orange KTM 640 Adventure running a set of knobbies
    Wow! My image of Sturgis is changing. A KTM? Great Bike, but not my image of Sturgis.
    20 yrs ago, it would have been trashed.
    ( I looked at KTM's but would need a stepladder to get on. I have a KLR)

Hope you enjoy your ride, be safe and send us some photos when you get back.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Wow! My image of Sturgis is changing. A KTM? Great Bike, but not my image of Sturgis.
    20 yrs ago, it would have been trashed.
    ( I looked at KTM's but would need a stepladder to get on. I have a KLR)
    Chrome, Pirates and Choppers are a dime a dozen out there. In '09 the powers that be decided we had to have a big shiney bike on a stand in the tent. My lonesome orange pumpkin sat outside all by itself. Muddy. We got more looks, questions, and inquirys about the KTM than we did the shiney bike.

The Pirates, all dressed up to show their individuality, who happen to all dress alike really thin out once you get 24" off of the pavement. This is where I'll spend my Sturgis.

Dirty

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Sounds like a good time be safe and have fun. I hope to attend one of these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links