I love carrying... - Page 2

I love carrying...

This is a discussion on I love carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying near 'bout every day since I was 21 & before Pennsylvania was a "Shall Issue" State. These days strapping on the ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 105
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: I love carrying...

  1. #16
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,442
    I have been carrying near 'bout every day since I was 21 & before Pennsylvania was a "Shall Issue" State.
    These days strapping on the "daily carry" firearm is slightly less exciting than putting on my socks or shaving.

    I still do have a continuing great love for fine firearms (in general) though as well as for the good ol' U.S. of A.


  2. #17
    Senior Member Array DaRedneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    628
    Right there wid cha Thunder! I'm proud. Proud to be an American exercising my 2A right!

    Happy birthday to the little lady too!
    bigdog44 and Aceoky like this.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

  3. #18
    Ex Member Array Yankeejib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,003
    There's not a day goes by that I don't a) Thank my lucky stars I got my CWP. b) Strap on my pistol. c) Consider the awesome responsibility that accompanies my decision to carry. d) Praise the rights we have in this country to self defense.
    AZJD1968 likes this.

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,118
    This is a weird thread. When I clicked on it I really didn't expect it to turn into what I just read. Wow....

    I understand the OP sentiments. I remember the first year or so that I carried. I was very happy that I lived in a state (Alabama at the time) where I could get a permit to carry. I was happy and a little proud that I was maybe better equipped to protect my wife and children. I did then and still do consider it my duty to protect my family in the best way possible at all times. If that means carrying a gun so be it.

    I think some folks here have taken the statements of the OP the wrong way. I think I get where he is coming from.

    Now, to be honest, I wish the world was a happy place where no one needed a gun because there were no bad people out there just waiting for the opportunity to do harm to innocent people. But we all know that's a load. There are many, many people out there just waiting for the right moment to strike out at you or me or anyone who happens by that they think they can take advantage of. And carrying makes you just a little better able to defend yourself and your family. But, it isn't the biggest part of being able to defend yourself and your family. Situational awareness, knowing the closest way out (an important skill to have is the ability to run away), having a plan for when the SHTF. All these and other things go into play long before the gun.

    To Thunder71, I get where you are coming from. Don't sweat it. Go a head and be happy about being able to carry. You are among friends here brother.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; July 23rd, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  5. #20
    Senior Moderator
    Array limatunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,246
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    You'll find a lot of double talk and hypocrisy around here, just wade through it and keep going!
    How is it hypocritical to say one doesn't like to carry?

    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my rights. I love my right to remain silent. I love my right not to incriminate myself. I love my right to a speedy trial. I love my right to carry firearms. I love my right to not have to testify against my spouse.

    I WOULD NOT love to have to exercise any of those rights because it means something went horribly wrong.

    There's nothing hypocritical in that.

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,052
    I can love that I can carry, even be excited about it sometimes, and still hate the idea of NEEDING to use it. All I have to do is read some of the news about Europe or Illinois to feel proud that I carry every day. I have a healthy fear of a gunfight, and don't ever want the life destroying events of a defensive shoot, but I can still grin at the nice pistol I have before I holster it and tuck my shirt over the MTAC it lives in.

    I DO feel an obligation or duty to go armed. I work with a bunch of people who don't, and only one other person here carries to my knowledge. I work right on the edge of a part of town that has regular gang activity. I always wait till last to leave, just to make sure everyone makes it to the highway.

    In other words, Lima, I understand and appreciate your point of view. I feel the same trepidation you do at the thought of having to draw my pistol. But I agree with Thunder. It's a good day.
    MikeNice likes this.

  7. #22
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,098
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Funny you agree with the statement you did while having scripture verses taken out of context to somehow justify Biblically your views on concealed carry in your signature line. This is the very definition of hypocrite.

    OP, I understand your statement. I know you don't "get off" on carrying, just glad you can and glad to be an American with that right. Carry on my friend. Pay no attention to the masses who must prove they have been carrying since dirt and that somehow makes them better. You'll find a lot of double talk and hypocrisy around here, just wade through it and keep going!

    No Smolck;

    No hypocrisy is exhibited on bbqgrill's post at all. Some perspective is called for. You just have to understand the context of the 20th chapter of Deuteronomy.

    The Lord gave the children of Israel a job to do and that was to subjugate the land. The job cared a risk for some of them. It wasn't a walk in the park and nothing is said about individuals taking any delight in waging war. They had to obey if they wanted to possess the land.

    I'm another who doesn't love to carry even though it's second nature for me to do so. It's a nuisance and I loathe a world where it may be necessary to go about armed. I'm grateful to be able to arm myself but it is no cause for celebration because human failings are the reason behind the need for arms. You brought up the Biblical aspect and that is one way to look at all this. The existence of sin requires the prudent person to carry for defense.
    OD* likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  8. #23
    Member Array pocketgroove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    93
    My comment was a response to Lima and a joke about women not understanding the nuances of adult male psyche. Sorry if I hit a nerve.
    I don't believe owning/carrying guns and having a sense of humor are mutually exclusive.

  9. #24
    RKM
    RKM is offline
    Distinguished Member Array RKM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,825
    I think he means he loves the fact that he has a means to protect himself and loved ones. Carrying is a big responsibility, and when I think of the aftermath, and the time in court, it almost makes me sick to my stomach to think that if I ever shoot somebody to protect myself, I'll have to live with it and the mental strain the rest of my life, not to mention the court fees. But it's better than being dead. And that's why I like carrying. Knowing that if it comes down to it, I have a fighting chance.

    Carrying does give one a sense of power (for lack of a better word). But it's power that must not be misused. It gives one confidence, but it shouldn't make you cocky. There's a big difference.

    But as far as actually carrying, it can be, at times, annoying and uncomfortable. But I do it anyway, not because it makes me feel like a touch guy. I still know how dangerous it is, even with my gun. My friends say things like "why are you scared, you have you gun" or "it's ok, Rich has his gun"... I roll my eyes and hope they understand that my Glock doesn't make me a super hero. Nor should they feel invincible just because they're with me.

    Carrying a gun is a scary thing. Not because I"m afraid that it's going to go off into my leg, but just the consequences there are if you have to defend yourself. You have to be dang sure you're justified. Don't even think about drawing your gun unless you honestly think you're going to die. Taking a life is terrifying, and regrettable, even if it does save yours.

    I got a little off topic. I'm about to leave the house, and strap on my Glock, just as I'd put on my socks, and my t-shirt. Hopefully I won't need it, but I'm happy that it's there if it's needed.

  10. #25
    Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nc mountains
    Posts
    1,365
    For many years carry'n is like putting on my pants. Don't even think about it. I have 26 years of carry'n

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array livewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    2,052
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I think he means he loves the fact that he has a means to protect himself and loved ones. Carrying is a big responsibility, and when I think of the aftermath, and the time in court, it almost makes me sick to my stomach to think that if I ever shoot somebody to protect myself, I'll have to live with it and the mental strain the rest of my life, not to mention the court fees. But it's better than being dead. And that's why I like carrying. Knowing that if it comes down to it, I have a fighting chance.

    Carrying does give one a sense of power (for lack of a better word). But it's power that must not be misused. It gives one confidence, but it shouldn't make you cocky. There's a big difference.

    But as far as actually carrying, it can be, at times, annoying and uncomfortable. But I do it anyway, not because it makes me feel like a touch guy. I still know how dangerous it is, even with my gun. My friends say things like "why are you scared, you have you gun" or "it's ok, Rich has his gun"... I roll my eyes and hope they understand that my Glock doesn't make me a super hero. Nor should they feel invincible just because they're with me.

    Carrying a gun is a scary thing. Not because I"m afraid that it's going to go off into my leg, but just the consequences there are if you have to defend yourself. You have to be dang sure you're justified. Don't even think about drawing your gun unless you honestly think you're going to die. Taking a life is terrifying, and regrettable, even if it does save yours.

    I got a little off topic. I'm about to leave the house, and strap on my Glock, just as I'd put on my socks, and my t-shirt. Hopefully I won't need it, but I'm happy that it's there if it's needed.
    That's why most of my friends don't know I'm carrying all the time. They know I HAVE guns, and that I carry sometimes, but they don't know that I have an IWB tuckable holster :)

    And it makes me LESS cocky. By a long shot... One of Ayoob's books did that to me. Any mouthy comment or gesture that someone might take offense to could turn into a fight. Any fight can turn into a shoot if one or both of you is armed. And if you did ANYTHING to trigger it, you lose your position in the eyes of a court and/or a jury. My middle finger stays sheathed a lot more on the road now :)
    MikeNice and Nathanimal like this.

  12. #27
    Ex Member Array Mr B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    GrangeVille, Idaho
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree with JohnWFD...lighten up!

    I understand how Thunder71 feels. I'm not new to CCW, but I love my firearm(s)...I'm proud of my Glocks, just like I'm proud of a new chainsaw, or some other new tool.
    I'm glad that I have my firearm with me...I go about my business knowing that I have the ability to defend myself...I like that feeling.

    Heck... ‪I Like Guns - Steve Lee‬‏ - YouTube
    I like that video, because i like guns.

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Array bigdog44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    Lighten up people...I think the original post was referring to the fact that he can now conceal carry in Minn. for the first time. Like the majority here...I do not find any "joy" in CC...... just the thankfulness that we still have a choice to defend ourselves and our loved ones...and pray that day never happens......
    I read the original post the same way. I also understand Diddle's comments. Thank God we have the right to carry in our country. Wish I did not have to as it is a ton of responsibility and stress but I love my 2nd amendment rights and feel glad I "can" carry. I will defend myself and my family if needed. I Just pray I never have to. It does make one proud to be an American citizen and have rights. That's how I read it.
    Old School likes this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,376
    It's a shame we live in a society where we feel the need, but I'm glad we live in a place where we have the right!!!

    I've always had an affinity for guns and shooting as I grew up shooting. I can't say I really enjoy carrying (a lot of responsibilities, attire considerations, having to read every door, walking back to the truck to lock it in the safe, not having a glass of wine with a nice dinner, etc.), but I do it, and I'm very glad that I have the right, the equipment, and the knowledge/skills to protect myself and my family. I enjoy spending time with my buddies shooting, going to gun shows, and talking firearms.

    Consideringt the OP's state has just gotten with the program, I can understand how and why he feels the way he does. Congrats!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    How is it hypocritical to say one doesn't like to carry?

    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my rights. I love my right to remain silent. I love my right not to incriminate myself. I love my right to a speedy trial. I love my right to carry firearms. I love my right to not have to testify against my spouse.

    I WOULD NOT love to have to exercise any of those rights because it means something went horribly wrong.

    There's nothing hypocritical in that.
    Agreed Lima.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

armslist

,

can i conceal carry at birthday party washington

,

carry guns 24-7 love husband

,

first time carrying in minnesota

,

i love carrying

,

im glad i had my gun

,

lovecarrying

,

silent thunder karete birthday party

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors