I love carrying...

This is a discussion on I love carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not gonna sweat it, just really surprised how some people reacted. I guess I shouldn't be though....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: I love carrying...

Not gonna sweat it, just really surprised how some people reacted.

I guess I shouldn't be though.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

I understand were you are coming from. Like others have said, I love my family, and will defend them to the bitter end, with or without a gun. We live in a great country, so I can choose my gun to protect them. When I look at them I do get a happy feeling, but its not because my gun is on me, Its because I love them. The weapon just makes me a more capable defender. Thats all.

Saying that, I LOVE MY GUNS. I have 30 or so. I never said I didnt like them. As it pertains to carrying one, it has become old hat, you will see. You wake up, you get dressed, you press check your weapon, you strap it on and you go. Nothing exciting there..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Moderator
    I really didn't have any problem with your original post. I DO get it. You're sitting there, waiting for cake and ice cream, feeling good about life, feeling happy, feeling secure. You are carrying. It's part of you as a package at that moment. I'm happy you were/are happy. I hope you had a fantastic rest of your day. I hope you continue to feel happy and be an optimistic person!

What shocked me was the follow up post about duty, honor, security and pride!! Want to talk about putting emotional significance into something.. phew!

I would like to think a gun forum is at least one place where I wouldn't have to explain why I appreciate having the right to protect my loved ones, unfortunately that's not the case.
    I don't think ANYONE here has expressed they don't appreciate having the right to carry. The opposite is true, in fact. Almost unanimously people have expressed they love their right to carry and to protect themselves and their families.

If it doesn't make you feel good knowing you could save your wife, children, yourself, etc, then there is really something wrong with you. If carrying is such a burden on you I'm so glad we are not alike, I'm quite the opposite and appreciate the huge responsibility when o holster my firearm while knowing it may be the one thing that let's me see my loved ones another day.
    I guess my confusion regarding this statement springs from the fact that I know a gun MIGHT NOT save me or my child, etc. It has no impact on my driving ability. It has no impact on whether of not a tornado hits my house or whether or not my husband has a heart attack.. In actuality a firearm and the carrying thereof is a very very small part of protecting yourself and those you love. Choosing a safe neighborhood, safe car, practicing avoidance, etc, are far more likely to protect yourself and your loved one than a gun. The only time a firearm comes into the picture MAY be in the even of a violent assault and even then the outcome will be determined on a lot of things.

As I said in my original post to this thread. A gun is a tool. It is not a talisman to thwart off evil. I'm not saying you think it is, by the way. I'm simply saying that just like a hammer it's not the fact that you HAVE it with you, it's how you use it.

And, as I also stated, I LOVE my rights. I love my ability to carry.

I just have a very... how shall I say it.. over-simplified? Ultra-realistic? perspective as to what roll carrying a firearm has in my life.

But I very much agree with bmc...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It has nothing to do with my relative pessimism or optimism.
    I was actually very surprised to find you equated those who stated they didn't enjoy carrying as being pessimistic. That is quite the leap and, I think, puts a lot more emotional significance on an inanimate object or a practice than probably should be associated with it. It's like saying someone is pessimistic for not liking to vacuum the floor. It's irrelevant to general life outlooks.

Yep, it's a forum. You are going to have all sorts of people from all sorts of walks of life with all sorts of opinions.

JD and I are both "gun people." We love guns. We love working with guns. I always got a great sense of satisfaction helping someone pick that perfect firearm for them or teaching them how to shoot it on the range. The gun industry is the only place I've really had continued FUN working in. I love shooting. I love competing. I do love guns.

And I love my rights to own and carry them. But carrying them is just something I don't love and don't really understand those who claim they do.

And as a side note, I also always kind of wonder how the "I love to carry" people would explain that in a court of law if a prosecutor were to read off a forum post saying, "I love to carry a gun," so that your average lay-person would understand (infinitely unlikely as I know it may be). Because if I can't understand it (who DOES love guns and shooting, etc) how are you going to get your average individual who is indifferent or maybe even anti-gun to understand it?

Cool

I too am having feelings brought on by this thread......

‪America the Beautiful (Patriotic Song)‬‏ - YouTube
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Administrator
    It is amazing how some threads occasionally morph into "something else" that is totally unexpected.

I DO understand where the OP is coming from & esp. w/ him being from Minnesota - I think that basically he just wanted to share a happy moment during a happy time with his fellow forum members...in his thinking that he is now able to carry an effective tool for defense of self & family/loved ones.

So...I'm not reading any more into his OP than that.
    OD* likes this.

While the 'honor, security, duty' thing turned me off (because it concerns me about a lot of cc'ers, not just the OP especially), I will say that for all that we tried to play down that sentiment in this thread (myself included) there is a strong and opposite theme that we drive into just about every post at just about every poster.....train train train! And then keep training because you can never be completely prepared!

It's a contradiction, IMO, unless kept in the proper perspective...yeah, strap it on and go, dont think about it, call 911, hope never to use it...but dry fire every day and never let anyone within 20' and train like a SEAL....kinda contradictory. What it is, is a big responsibility....even tho we hope never to need it, we are obligated to be able to do so safely if we must.

It does take some committment to try and fulfill that obligation...and committment requires strong mental and emotional drivers (i.e.feelings of honor, duty?). This is why I'm glad that I enjoy shooting and training....so that I do have positive motivation beyond that brick in my purse.
    MikeNice likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It is amazing how some threads occasionally morph into "something else" that is totally unexpected.
    Ain't that the truth. I thought the OP just meant he liked carrying a chunk of metal around on his belt and I couldn't relate.

Thunder,

ive been carrying for a couple years now, and i do get where you are coming from........

just think, you can do something that the subjects who live in NYC, Chicago, DC and other communist areas CANT do....protect themselves.....

i too, am a little shocked by some of the responses on here........

my CCW is just like my wallet and cell phone, part of my everyday carry package.....the first couple months i started it was very new and exciting, now its just become second-nature like carrying a cell phone....

but every day i fully appreciate being able to CCW.........and if you don't just think about people in the above mentioned places who CAN'T.....
    Buckj likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    For the record, I love carrying my wallet, phone, and gun. I DO NOT wish anyone harm because of it.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i like the feeling that should everything conspire against me, i still have 1 very powerful ally.

conversely, if no one had guns than i would not need one either--except for that pesky 'disparity of force' thing.

i have no fond early memories...caried since i was 14, so.....its a tool.
    limatunes crammed a lot of good thoughts into her post.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Sheeesh, the end of this thread is headed to San Francisco...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I dont like carrying...in fact I HATE it.

I's a constant reminder to me of the evil in the world...that things are'nt happening like they were meant to be.

I do like the idea of being able to defend myself, but I hate the idea of asking permission from some from desk jockying geek and paying a price to do it just to be "legal". It aint right.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I love carrying also; I love having my Glock with me. I like knowing that's its there if I need it. I like knowing that inspite of my limitations that I could possibly have something that might level the odds if my life or limb were ever to come in danger from an attacker. In some ways, the same as a wheelchair or a set of crutches can offer independence to a person of disabilities, a firearm can offer a sense of independence. To protect and to serve is an obligation that the police have for the public at large, not the individual. We've talked about it on here before; if a riot were to break out and someone was breaking into your house to kill you, for example, the police's priority would go to dealing with the riot - leaving you to fend for yourself. Am I advocating vigilantism? Not by any means! Am I saying that I am in acknowledgment of the responsibilities and the legalities that are at hand when it comes to adequate defense to keep me out of harm's way? Absolutely!

I highly doubt that I will be able to explain to a jury why I like carrying my firearm. I also, however, seriously doubt that the same jury would be able to explain to me the enjoyment that others get out of scrap booking. For those that want to judge me for carrying, my response is that I don't judge you for not carrying and respect your non-carry practice. Why isn't there the same amount of reciprocity when it comes to not judging me and respecting my practice of legally carrying per the laws of the land?

There are different philosophies pertaining to carrying. Some people feel an obligation to carry and others do not. Everyone has their own conscience to deal with and everyone has a different set of consequences they're willing to live with accordingly. When there's a shooting, you may find one person that is carrying running away from the threat and at the same time, you may find another running towards the threat. I'm not here to tell you what your conscience should be, etc. Some people will be able to live with themselves knowing that there was an active shooter and they did nothing to stop the threat. Some people would not be able to live with themselves. Regardless of which course of action that is decided upon, act in an informed manner knowing the consequences of your actions. Some men (or women) will defend others knowing that their actions are going to send them to jail while others won't. That is, perhaps, another discussion for another day and its not for me to tell you what man (or woman) for you to be, etc.

To end on a lighter note. I like my Glock so much that I wish I had gotten one years ago. I'm sorry I've missed out on the pleasure of ownership for the amount of years that have accumulated up to the day I bought my gun. If I had bought my Glock years ago, I'm sure I would've started carrying years ago as well. It is what it is and I'm grateful for having one now so its all good.

I hope this finds everyone doing well. I rejoice with my fellow forum members that are grateful for their right to carry. I hope that no one is ever in the kind of danger that necessitates the use of a firearm.

Best wishes,
    DCG

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    I don't like carrying...in fact I HATE it.

I's a constant reminder to me of the evil in the world...that things aren't happening like they were meant to be.

I do like the idea of being able to defend myself, but I hate the idea of asking permission from some from desk jockying geek and paying a price to do it just to be "legal". It ain't right.
    evil is not a stray pack of dogs---it is a social error and needs correcting; a stick if you are many and young, a stand your ground alpha projection with a gun in pocket or hand to back your self up.
    it i not always the 2-footed that create the need for self defense. more often than not, it is though of that way 1st. than upon inspection--many other uses are found that justify ( justification is a eperate issue) having one in you possession.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Hey Claude...

Is English your primary language?
    You sure do write some confusing stuff. Sometimes I read your posts several times and still cant figure out what you are trying to say.
    21bubba, limatunes, OD* and 1 others like this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links