I love carrying...

This is a discussion on I love carrying... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was fishing yesterday, having to bushwhack around some waterfalls. Miles from the trail, road, or truck. I crawled over a copperhead and according to ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: I love carrying...

I was fishing yesterday, having to bushwhack around some waterfalls. Miles from the trail, road, or truck. I crawled over a copperhead and according to the fresh tracks I shared a game trail with a VERY large black bear. Oh, and the coyote tracks on the sandbar too. I was pretty happy to be carrying. I was happy I did not have to shoot anything though. After the bushwhacking I only look like I was attacked by a bobcat. I was even happier that were catching fish.

Carry on.
    DefConGun likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Hey Claude...

Is English your primary language?
    You sure do write some confusing stuff. Sometimes I read your posts several times and still cant figure out what you are trying to say.
    Thank the Lord! I thought I was the only one.
    adric22 likes this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Hey Claude...

Is English your primary language?
    You sure do write some confusing stuff. Sometimes I read your posts several times and still cant figure out what you are trying to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Thank the Lord! I thought I was the only one.
    Be nice not everyone is a college boy; but, then and than carry very different meaning.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Wow. So many people took this thread WAY out of context. The OP was simply saying that he is happy to be ABLE to carry. At no point did he say that he's happy to be carrying the power to kill someone at a moments notice.

I guess I fall into the camp of being glad that I CAN carry. I'm not happy that we live in a society that forces us to have a means to defend ourselves, but I'm glad to be legally allowed to do so if necessary.
    Buckj and Thunder71 like this.

Well put, and thank you.

I think really liking guns and enjoying them as a hobby goes a long way towards the commitment it takes to carry all the time. The desire to learn, train, and grow as a responsible firearm owner comes from a passion for it. There's a lot of responsibility, time, and money that goes into it when you are committed to it and not just casual about it. If you feel that way about it and you love carrying because of it, then that means you will likely be driven to learn, train, and be committed. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I have different guns I carry, and sometimes I carry one just because I like it. Sometimes I switch carry guns just to add variety. I like a lot of different guns, and I train with all of them, so why not enjoy them all.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    You may find its appeal wanes a bit when the novelty wears off.
    x2. After a week or so after I got my permit, the whole "new carry smell" went away fast.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Why would I feel proud about it? Proud that I can kill someone who's trying to harm me or my family?
    Nope, pride in the fact that I chose to take responsibility for the safety of myself and my family. Proud that I excercise my right to prepare for my own defense instead of subcontracting to someone else. Proud that when my daughter asks why I carry a gun I can say, "because I love you enough to protect you from the worst society has to offer."

Yeah I am proud to carry.

The firearm may be a tool used in my duty to protect but I do not feel the DUTY to carry.
    If you feel a duty to protect your family you should feel a duty to carry. I know a gun is only an option, but it is only an option if you have the gun accessible. I carry every time I leave the house with my daughter or my wife. If somebody wants to kidnap my kid or attack my wife I want all of my options on the table. I will only go as far as legally allowed, but I will not limit myself by being unprepared.

It is my duty to protect my family. Hence it is my duty to carry so that I may have all available options.

I carry because I understand my limitations and what a great equalizer it can be in the event I have to defend myself but it is a tool.
    Well that is a big part of my reason for carrying as well. I understand my limitations in certain situations. I also believe that even a gun will not mean surviving all possible scenarios. It is a tool, but what carrying that tool represents is something more. It represents a choice to be independent, self reliant, and mature. It symbolizes doing a lot of right things in a world where most people prefer to take the easy way out and rely on others.

Do I like that carrying is necessary? Nope. Do I take pride in carrying? Yes, because I take pride in doing the right thing.
    blizzard likes this.

In actuality a firearm and the carrying thereof is a very very small part of protecting yourself and those you love. Choosing a safe neighborhood, safe car, practicing avoidance, etc, are far more likely to protect yourself and your loved one than a gun. The only time a firearm comes into the picture MAY be in the even of a violent assault and even then the outcome will be determined on a lot of things.
    I don't know about Iowa but in North Carolina all that is needed is fear of imminent death, grave bodily injury or sexual assault. If a guy pulls a knife and says "give me your money" you can respond with lethal force. you don't have to wait for the knife to be in your belly to shoot. Assault is not necessary to justify lethal force. Actually some levels of assault are not allowed to be met with lethal force.

A gun can be used in a case of fear of imminent death, grave bodily injury, or sexual assault if another person of reasonable firmness would believe that the situation required such force and you in no way instigated the confrontation. There is also a use of force continuim in North Carolina. If your use of lethal force is "excessive force" under those guidlines you can be prosecuted for manslaughter even though you meet all other criteria.

So, it doesn't take an active assault for you to use your gun. Also responding to a violent assault with a gun can get you a life sentence.

I understand that a gun doesn't stop a tornado or a heart attack. It is a tool with a limited scope of use. However, I also understand that there is no such thing as a safe neighborhood. Criminals are mobile and can strike anywhere. In the city I work there was a group of guys in a car riding around pistol whipping and robbing people a couple of weeks ago. They even shot a couple of people before exiting the car to make the robbery easier. They hit targets in four different police districts on the same night.

Avoidance isn't always a possibility. The two times I pulled my gun in public I could not avoid being where I was. One was buying diapers and groceries. The other was buying gas because I had two gallons left. There was no way to avoid being in those places at those times.

I have used my guns to defend myself and others three times. (Luckily I never had to fire a shot.) When I was a child my father used his revolver to protect me and my mother from a knife wielding man that wanted his pay check. I guess that is the difference in our outlooks.

I've been there with my back to the wall. I know that all of the tools that we use to avoid trouble don't always work. Just like eating right and excercising doesn't mean you won't have a stroke. I've been through the fire and I can say that because I made the choice to carry my family still has a father and husband. I can say that my neighbor got to finish living her life on her and god's terms because I had my gun at hand.

So, from my experience I can say yeah I'm glad I carry. I'm proud I carry.
    Spidey2011, Thunder71 and 9MMare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    I don't know about Iowa but in North Carolina all that is needed is fear of imminent death, grave bodily injury or sexual assault. If a guy pulls a knife and says "give me your money" you can respond with lethal force. you don't have to wait for the knife to be in your belly to shoot. Assault is not necessary to justify lethal force. Actually some levels of assault are not allowed to be met with lethal force.

A gun can be used in a case of fear of imminent death, grave bodily injury, or sexual assault if another person of reasonable firmness would believe that the situation required such force and you in no way instigated the confrontation. There is also a use of force continuim in North Carolina. If your use of lethal force is "excessive force" under those guidlines you can be prosecuted for manslaughter even though you meet all other criteria.

So, it doesn't take an active assault for you to use your gun. Also responding to a violent assault with a gun can get you a life sentence.

I understand that a gun doesn't stop a tornado or a heart attack. It is a tool with a limited scope of use. However, I also understand that there is no such thing as a safe neighborhood. Criminals are mobile and can strike anywhere. In the city I work there was a group of guys in a car riding around pistol whipping and robbing people a couple of weeks ago. They even shot a couple of people before exiting the car to make the robbery easier. They hit targets in four different police districts on the same night.

Avoidance isn't always a possibility. The two times I pulled my gun in public I could not avoid being where I was. One was buying diapers and groceries. The other was buying gas because I had two gallons left. There was no way to avoid being in those places at those times.

I have used my guns to defend myself and others three times. (Luckily I never had to fire a shot.) When I was a child my father used his revolver to protect me and my mother from a knife wielding man that wanted his pay check. I guess that is the difference in our outlooks.

I've been there with my back to the wall. I know that all of the tools that we use to avoid trouble don't always work. Just like eating right and excercising doesn't mean you won't have a stroke. I've been through the fire and I can say that because I made the choice to carry my family still has a father and husband. I can say that my neighbor got to finish living her life on her and god's terms because I had my gun at hand.

So, from my experience I can say yeah I'm glad I carry. I'm proud I carry.
    Best post in this thread.

Distinguished Member
    Just want to say thanks for the thread Thunder, it has been very insightful.

Thanks, sure has been... lots of varying opinions, for sure.

My cousin turned me on to nutnfancy and i think what he does is great in that he is expressing his opinion and what works for him, very informative.

I lived in Illinois most of my life. As you all know, Illinois is the last State to not have some type of concealed carry law on the books. Now living in Florida, I thank God every day that I now have the legal right to carry and defend myself should the need arise. Been licensed for five years, and have been a firearms enthusiast as long as I can remember. For me, the newness and joy will never wear off as concealed carry is a way of enjoying a hobby 24/7. Yes, we live in an evil world, and I hope I never have to use my gun for its intended purpose......until then.......
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I don't know what I feel about all this... I live in NJ.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links