Defensive Carry banner

I love carrying...

10K views 104 replies 56 participants last post by  Tyler11B 
#1 ·
Just saying... such a great feeling. One of the best decisions I've made, as a husband and father of 3 I can't express how much I appreciate the ability to do so.

Sitting here waiting for family to show up for my daughters birthday party with my PM9 in my Silent Thunder, all is quiet and well... just a part of my life like putting on underwear, only it doesn't change every 5 days. :blink:

Thanks founding fathers, thanks America, and thanks for those who stand up for our rights and support them.

It's another great day in Minnesota.

So easy to get caught up in what gun, what holster, what method of carry, tight groups, etc... just taking a drama free moment to really appreciate this great right that we have.

Now - Bring on the cake and ice cream!

#3 ·
You are so right. At this point its an old hat. Wake up, get dressed, strap on and go..

#5 ·
Seriously? Honor, security and duty?!?!

Whoa... those are some mouthfuls. I don't see the love, honor, security or duty to carry in a civilian capacity. I certainly do not feel proud about it either.

Why would I feel proud about it? Proud that I can kill someone who's trying to harm me or my family? :frown: I find no pride in that. I find no real honor or duty or security or love in that either. A duty to protect my family? Sure. But a duty to carry? No. The firearm may be a tool used in my duty to protect but I do not feel the DUTY to carry.

In fact I can honestly say I do not like to carry. I carry because I understand my limitations and what a great equalizer it can be in the event I have to defend myself but it is a tool.

Like I would feel no love or pride to carry around a screw driver (which, I do, in the form of a multi-tool) I don't know why I should feel any differently about carrying around a gun.

To be honest, I kind of wonder about people who do have strong "happy" feelings regarding carrying a gun. I don't get it.

#8 ·
Not Debbie Downers. Just folks with a more experience. You will be there some day.

Reactions: TN_Mike
#9 ·
Lighten up people...I think the original post was referring to the fact that he can now conceal carry in Minn. for the first time. Like the majority here...I do not find any "joy" in CC...... just the thankfulness that we still have a choice to defend ourselves and our loved ones...and pray that day never happens......

#28 ·
I read the original post the same way. I also understand Diddle's comments. Thank God we have the right to carry in our country. Wish I did not have to as it is a ton of responsibility and stress but I love my 2nd amendment rights and feel glad I "can" carry. I will defend myself and my family if needed. I Just pray I never have to. It does make one proud to be an American citizen and have rights. That's how I read it.

#10 ·
It is a great feeling knowing you have the means and the power to protect your self. I was out all morning running errands, and i was carrying my full size 1911 in a crossbreed supertuck, it hides so well inside the waste band. I think the most amazing thing to me is that your walking around and past people and they have no clue at all that you have a gun. And yes, i am fairly new to concealed carry also.

#11 ·
I recommend viewing some of nutnfancy's youtube vids as it relates to his opinion about the "Obligation of Carry" and "Concealed Carry Protocol", among his other "philisophical" vids. They properly adjusted my (and my wife's) pov, thinking and attitude about cc.

Although, the novelty of cc may wear off to a degree, I'm with Thunder when it comes to my heartfelt appreciation and gratitude for our freedoms and to those who continue to uphold, protect and fight for them. IMHO, this is STILL "the greatest country on God's green earth" (according to Michael Medved). :yup:

#39 ·
I recommend viewing some of nutnfancy's youtube vids as it relates to his opinion about the "Obligation of Carry" and "Concealed Carry Protocol", among his other "philisophical" vids. They properly adjusted my (and my wife's) pov, thinking and attitude about cc...
I'm with you there, MCG. :hand10:

...I love my right to not have to testify against my spouse...
Ummm, JD, I'd continue treating the wife well! :tongue:

#14 ·
An armed citizen could have saved so many lives on that island in Norway. It is not necessary that everyone carry, but it's good if some of us do.

I see it like lifesaving equipment, an "in case of emergency, break glass" kind of deal. I'm with Lima on this - it isn't a slap-happy "goodtimes!" thing to carry a firearm. And it's actually pretty sad that our society is so dangerous that arming yourself is a prudent measure, if you're up to it.

Yes, congrats to our friends in Minnesota who now have an essential right. Know your law and be safe.

Reactions: vn6869
#15 ·
I agree with JohnWFD...lighten up!

I understand how Thunder71 feels. I'm not new to CCW, but I love my firearm(s)...I'm proud of my Glocks, just like I'm proud of a new chainsaw, or some other new tool.
I'm glad that I have my firearm with me...I go about my business knowing that I have the ability to defend myself...I like that feeling.

Heck... ‪I Like Guns - Steve Lee‬‏ - YouTube

#16 ·
I have been carrying near 'bout every day since I was 21 & before Pennsylvania was a "Shall Issue" State.
These days strapping on the "daily carry" firearm is slightly less exciting than putting on my socks or shaving. :biggrin2:

I still do have a continuing great love for fine firearms (in general) though as well as for the good ol' U.S. of A. :usflag:

#18 ·
There's not a day goes by that I don't a) Thank my lucky stars I got my CWP. b) Strap on my pistol. c) Consider the awesome responsibility that accompanies my decision to carry. d) Praise the rights we have in this country to self defense.

Reactions: AZJD1968
#50 ·
There's not a day goes by that I don't a) Thank my lucky stars I got my CWP. b) Strap on my pistol. c) Consider the awesome responsibility that accompanies my decision to carry. d) Praise the rights we have in this country to self defense.
Granted I do understand somewhat where the OP is coming from...and it's good to appreciate our rights (understatement)....but considering use and frequency...I wish more Americans would appreciate the awesome responsibility they have when they get behind the wheel.

But I dont want to pile on with the downerisms...I did get a gun for self-defense, but found that I truly enjoy shooting and training and have met some great people doing so.

#19 · (Edited)
This is a weird thread. When I clicked on it I really didn't expect it to turn into what I just read. Wow....

I understand the OP sentiments. I remember the first year or so that I carried. I was very happy that I lived in a state (Alabama at the time) where I could get a permit to carry. I was happy and a little proud that I was maybe better equipped to protect my wife and children. I did then and still do consider it my duty to protect my family in the best way possible at all times. If that means carrying a gun so be it.

I think some folks here have taken the statements of the OP the wrong way. I think I get where he is coming from.

Now, to be honest, I wish the world was a happy place where no one needed a gun because there were no bad people out there just waiting for the opportunity to do harm to innocent people. But we all know that's a load. There are many, many people out there just waiting for the right moment to strike out at you or me or anyone who happens by that they think they can take advantage of. And carrying makes you just a little better able to defend yourself and your family. But, it isn't the biggest part of being able to defend yourself and your family. Situational awareness, knowing the closest way out (an important skill to have is the ability to run away), having a plan for when the SHTF. All these and other things go into play long before the gun.

To Thunder71, I get where you are coming from. Don't sweat it. Go a head and be happy about being able to carry. You are among friends here brother.

#21 ·
I can love that I can carry, even be excited about it sometimes, and still hate the idea of NEEDING to use it. All I have to do is read some of the news about Europe or Illinois to feel proud that I carry every day. I have a healthy fear of a gunfight, and don't ever want the life destroying events of a defensive shoot, but I can still grin at the nice pistol I have before I holster it and tuck my shirt over the MTAC it lives in.

I DO feel an obligation or duty to go armed. I work with a bunch of people who don't, and only one other person here carries to my knowledge. I work right on the edge of a part of town that has regular gang activity. I always wait till last to leave, just to make sure everyone makes it to the highway.

In other words, Lima, I understand and appreciate your point of view. I feel the same trepidation you do at the thought of having to draw my pistol. But I agree with Thunder. It's a good day.

Reactions: MikeNice
#24 ·
I think he means he loves the fact that he has a means to protect himself and loved ones. Carrying is a big responsibility, and when I think of the aftermath, and the time in court, it almost makes me sick to my stomach to think that if I ever shoot somebody to protect myself, I'll have to live with it and the mental strain the rest of my life, not to mention the court fees. But it's better than being dead. And that's why I like carrying. Knowing that if it comes down to it, I have a fighting chance.

Carrying does give one a sense of power (for lack of a better word). But it's power that must not be misused. It gives one confidence, but it shouldn't make you cocky. There's a big difference.

But as far as actually carrying, it can be, at times, annoying and uncomfortable. But I do it anyway, not because it makes me feel like a touch guy. I still know how dangerous it is, even with my gun. My friends say things like "why are you scared, you have you gun" or "it's ok, Rich has his gun"... I roll my eyes and hope they understand that my Glock doesn't make me a super hero. Nor should they feel invincible just because they're with me.

Carrying a gun is a scary thing. Not because I"m afraid that it's going to go off into my leg, but just the consequences there are if you have to defend yourself. You have to be dang sure you're justified. Don't even think about drawing your gun unless you honestly think you're going to die. Taking a life is terrifying, and regrettable, even if it does save yours.

I got a little off topic. I'm about to leave the house, and strap on my Glock, just as I'd put on my socks, and my t-shirt. Hopefully I won't need it, but I'm happy that it's there if it's needed.

#26 ·
I think he means he loves the fact that he has a means to protect himself and loved ones. Carrying is a big responsibility, and when I think of the aftermath, and the time in court, it almost makes me sick to my stomach to think that if I ever shoot somebody to protect myself, I'll have to live with it and the mental strain the rest of my life, not to mention the court fees. But it's better than being dead. And that's why I like carrying. Knowing that if it comes down to it, I have a fighting chance.

Carrying does give one a sense of power (for lack of a better word). But it's power that must not be misused. It gives one confidence, but it shouldn't make you cocky. There's a big difference.

But as far as actually carrying, it can be, at times, annoying and uncomfortable. But I do it anyway, not because it makes me feel like a touch guy. I still know how dangerous it is, even with my gun. My friends say things like "why are you scared, you have you gun" or "it's ok, Rich has his gun"... I roll my eyes and hope they understand that my Glock doesn't make me a super hero. Nor should they feel invincible just because they're with me.

Carrying a gun is a scary thing. Not because I"m afraid that it's going to go off into my leg, but just the consequences there are if you have to defend yourself. You have to be dang sure you're justified. Don't even think about drawing your gun unless you honestly think you're going to die. Taking a life is terrifying, and regrettable, even if it does save yours.

I got a little off topic. I'm about to leave the house, and strap on my Glock, just as I'd put on my socks, and my t-shirt. Hopefully I won't need it, but I'm happy that it's there if it's needed.
That's why most of my friends don't know I'm carrying all the time. They know I HAVE guns, and that I carry sometimes, but they don't know that I have an IWB tuckable holster :)

And it makes me LESS cocky. By a long shot... One of Ayoob's books did that to me. Any mouthy comment or gesture that someone might take offense to could turn into a fight. Any fight can turn into a shoot if one or both of you is armed. And if you did ANYTHING to trigger it, you lose your position in the eyes of a court and/or a jury. My middle finger stays sheathed a lot more on the road now :)

#29 ·
It's a shame we live in a society where we feel the need, but I'm glad we live in a place where we have the right!!!

I've always had an affinity for guns and shooting as I grew up shooting. I can't say I really enjoy carrying (a lot of responsibilities, attire considerations, having to read every door, walking back to the truck to lock it in the safe, not having a glass of wine with a nice dinner, etc.), but I do it, and I'm very glad that I have the right, the equipment, and the knowledge/skills to protect myself and my family. I enjoy spending time with my buddies shooting, going to gun shows, and talking firearms.

Consideringt the OP's state has just gotten with the program, I can understand how and why he feels the way he does. Congrats!!!!!

#33 ·
Personally, I love the sweet aroma of good quality gun leather, the cool feeling of stainless steel pressed against my skin, the smooth and slippery feel of Speer Gold Dots as I load them into the magazine. I love that satisfying "click" as I shove the magazine home, the sound of the slide racking, and the feel of the gun bucking back against the web of my hand as I pull the trigger almost as if she's begging me to pull the trigger again and again and again...

But, that's just me. :smile:

I also love living in a country where I'm able to do that.

#32 ·
Well, despite all of the downers, I feel great about carrying. I feel like I'm being a part of the solution, rather than being a part of the problem. Sort of like when I take my recycling down to the recycle place once or twice a week. (unfortunately they don't have curbside pickup in my neighborhood) Sure, I'm just one person and my recycling doesn't make a big global difference, but I can't expect others to do it if I won't. It is the same thing with firearms. I wish far more people became licensed and carried. I suspect violent crime would drop a lot.

Also, there is a difference between somebody who uses a firearm as just a tool and somebody who genuinely enjoys them. Since they are also a hobby, carrying one sort of goes along with that. I won't deny it. I think anyone on here who has 3 or more guns is probably in the same category.

#38 ·
-
I for one feel good that I can legally carry in any way that I wish, with as many pistols as I can comfortably carry, all for the purpose of self defense. To be able to feel some sense of additional security when I know there are people who might wish to deprive me of that which I possess, of my liberty, or even my life.

I do not celebrate having the ability to mortally wound a perpetrator who attempts to do the same to me. I rest easier knowing that there is the possibility that I may escape a situation that normally might be inescapable.

If you don't feel that you actually 'love' the ability to carry, just consider whether you'd hate losing it...one feeling is likely to be polar opposite of the other.

Reactions: MikeNice
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.