Something mystical about carrying my 1911

This is a discussion on Something mystical about carrying my 1911 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a big fan of more ammo... so my preferred caliber is always 9mm but since I got my taurus 1911, and how well I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Something mystical about carrying my 1911

Something mystical about carrying my 1911

I'm a big fan of more ammo... so my preferred caliber is always 9mm

but since I got my taurus 1911, and how well I shoot the damn thing, I realized I've been carrying it more and more often...

there is something about a 1911 that just calls my name. It might be the big .45 caliber, or the mean and lean looking 1911, but I realized since I got the PT1911, I've been leaving the MP9c with 13 rounds of 9mm (and much easier to conceal and carry) and taking the 1911... I have a remora holster for it and it's not the most comf to carry, but I still carry it!!! it conceals well because it's thin too... it's def heavy though... I did order a Crossbreed holster for it on the 7th, so hopefully that'll arrive in a few weeks, which should make carrying this thing better...

I just wanted to share it..

There is something that this 1911 keeps attracting me to carry it... lol
    RemMod597 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Then let me help you out, send me the M&P9c and you won't even have to feel bad about leaving it at home.

How much do you want for it?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lol!

I'm not giving up any guns :)

But for the right price... Lol

VIP Member
    I am glad that you like your 1911. If it works for you, that's great. We all look for the tool that works best for us.

Here is a thought, though. When was the last time your heard of, or saw, a presumably grown man or woman get misty and poetic about the hammer they use for work every day? Let'e keep a little perspective. It is a tool. That's all. "Something mystical..."? Really?

I don't know about anybody else, but I don't use a hammer to tighten a screw just because that hammer is the finest, most ergonomic, and just plain beautiful hammer I have ever owned. I use the right tool for the job, hammer or screw driver.

OP, this is not meant to mock. Just realize that one particular gun/tool may not be the correct one for every job. Don't get sentimental about them.

Enjoy the new gun.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I have a PT1911, too.

Mine is a good shooter, and very reliable, too
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I want one. I've shot a PT1911, and it was... definitely an eye opening experience. Now I just need the $800 to take one home.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I am glad that you like your 1911. If it works for you, that's great. We all look for the tool that works best for us.

Here is a thought, though. When was the last time your heard of, or saw, a presumably grown man or woman get misty and poetic about the hammer they use for work every day? Let'e keep a little perspective. It is a tool. That's all. "Something mystical..."? Really?

I don't know about anybody else, but I don't use a hammer to tighten a screw just because that hammer is the finest, most ergonomic, and just plain beautiful hammer I have ever owned. I use the right tool for the job, hammer or screw driver.

OP, this is not meant to mock. Just realize that one particular gun/tool may not be the correct one for every job. Don't get sentimental about them.

Enjoy the new gun.
    Very true...

I should probably practice more on the 1911 as I'm more used to the M&P style pistols... last thing I need is to forget the safety

I'll make a trip to the range to practice tomorrow :D

My PT1911 is in my carry rotation. First time I held it I almost felt like I was cheating on my wife.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Colt 45 and a special feeling.

kinda secure as it rides so close to the ribs and its weight is a comfort distributed nicely by a good holster.
    its there for you: you don't need it now; but it isn't going anywhere without ua
    its patient. one day perhaps you shall need it. it will be there. ready.

know the feeling....perhaps
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I guess when you get a Colt, you will be on par with Harry Potter, lol
    INccwchris likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I admit that a mil spec 1911 is my favorite handgun to shoot. I do enjoy it's history in it's service to both my country and my family, and there is an aesthetic to it that really pleases my eye.

Unfortunately (I'm a pragmatist) the weight to magazine capacity ratio is not the best, so I'm usually toting a Glock.

First I confess; my EDC is a H&K and I shoot revolvers VERY poorly. However as an "older" gun guy a real gun to me is a 1911 or revolver. Again if the polymer fans skipped over it I love my H&Ks, M&P, Sig, and CZ but the 1911 feels real. Plus I shoot it best.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have to agree, I carry 1911's in a crossbreed also. Nice thing about a crossbreed, it dosent care how long your barrel is, my full size Colts or my Kimber pro carry all fit the same holster.
    I carry other handguns as well but nothing carries quite as well (at least for me) as a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I guess when you get a Colt, you will be on par with Harry Potter, lol
    Thats funny right there LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I'm a big fan of more ammo... so my preferred caliber is always 9mm

but since I got my taurus 1911, and how well I shoot the damn thing, I realized I've been carrying it more and more often...

there is something about a 1911 that just calls my name. It might be the big .45 caliber, or the mean and lean looking 1911, but I realized since I got the PT1911, I've been leaving the MP9c with 13 rounds of 9mm (and much easier to conceal and carry) and taking the 1911... I have a remora holster for it and it's not the most comf to carry, but I still carry it!!! it conceals well because it's thin too... it's def heavy though... I did order a Crossbreed holster for it on the 7th, so hopefully that'll arrive in a few weeks, which should make carrying this thing better...

I just wanted to share it..

There is something that this 1911 keeps attracting me to carry it... lol
    The 1911 is ingrained in the American psyche as what a defensive handgun should be - a big, brawny, powerful, no nonsense hunk of steel - and it holds up to the reputation, even after 100 years. I don't know anyone that when they picked up a 1911 for the first time and felt that heft and the way it fits in the hand that didn't say, "Now that's a gun!"

I was weaned on a 1911 and today I own quite a few and carry them on and off duty but I went a number of years without one. I guess I just gravitated away for all the usual reasons - too old, too heavy, not enough capacity - plus we were all being issued plastic 9s and 40s and the 1911 (and revolvers, for that matter) just seemed too old school. Heck, it was the end of the 20th century for chrissakes, we'd all moved on to "modern" weapons. Then one day I traded into a plane jane Gov't Model and after one mag I couldn't imagine why I had stopped shooting them. I showed it to my Dad (retired military) and he held it up, felt the weight of it, looked it over, racked the slide, looked down the sights, and said, "Now that's a gun! If you run out of bullets you just beat 'em with it, reload, and keep on going. Never did understand why you were carrying those plastic things anyway." The rest is history. Now all I own and carry are 1911s and revolvers.

This is my duty gun, it's a Springfield Loaded that went back to S.A. and got "TRP'd". It's one of my favorites, everything you need, nothing you don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links