Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon?? - Page 2

Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon??

This is a discussion on Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like most everyone mis-understood my post! (or else I must have been THAT unclear) haha First of all, I never suggested taking a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon??

It seems like most everyone mis-understood my post! (or else I must have been THAT unclear) haha

First of all, I never suggested taking a gun into Canada, Mexico or a Post Office! (please re-read my post)

I was looking for creative solutions to those times that a person is on foot, on a bike or driving into another country. Saying to simply avoid those areas would be a simple/obvious solution, but it doesn't answer my question about what to do with your weapon when you MUST enter those areas (for whatever reason)

What creative ideas can you think of when you DON"T want to leave your gun home and you DON"T want to avoid those prohibited areas? My question is: Where could you possibly stow your gun when on a short term or long term trip? (hey if this question was easy, I wouldn't have asked it in the first place!!!

thanks!

For me, any trips like that are made separately. Though here in OK the law states that no matter what, I can leave my gun in my vehicle in a parking lot, except at public schools. When walking/bike riding I'm not really sure. Again, separate trip if you ask me.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    It seems like most everyone mis-understood my post! (or else I must have been THAT unclear) haha

First of all, I never suggested taking a gun into Canada, Mexico or a Post Office! (please re-read my post)

I was looking for creative solutions to those times that a person is on foot, on a bike or driving into another country. Saying to simply avoid those areas would be a simple/obvious solution, but it doesn't answer my question about what to do with your weapon when you MUST enter those areas (for whatever reason)
    Here's the problem with your scenario....you think you need to go to those areas...but you really don't. You don't want to break the law...you want to obey the law, right? The creative solution for a Post Office is to 1) Postpone your errand to another time; 2) send a family member in your place; or 3) park off USPS property, secure firearm in your vehicle...run your errand, and the go back out to the vehicle. If you're on a bike/on foot, you are out of luck...postpone to another time.

What creative ideas can you think of when you DON"T want to leave your gun home and you DON"T want to avoid those prohibited areas? My question is: Where could you possibly stow your gun when on a short term or long term trip? (hey if this question was easy, I wouldn't have asked it in the first place!!!
    thanks!
    I think you're missing the point...if it is legally prohibited...You. Don't. Go. To. Those. Places. With. A. Firearm. You don't stow it in the bushes, under a tree, or in a trashcan...that would be irresponsible. You plan ahead...follow the law.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

1. You are out on foot (or on a bicycle) and running several errands for the day away from home and you must enter a place like: (the dreaded Post office) or other off limits place. Where does the gun go to wait until you come back?
    You ride your happy butt back home and go to the PO later, in the car, where you can securely leave your firearm. Park off PO property if you're really anal about it. Honestly, is there ever a time when an "emergency" PO visit just pops up and you have to go right NOW...on foot or a bicycle...? None that I can think of...just go back later...
    SIGguy229 likes this.

I'm not sure about everywhere, but in GA you can leave your weapon in the car at a parking lot of an otherwise off limits place.

Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

A person with a Weapons Carry License may have a weapon that is under their control while in a car or the weapon can be left inside a locked compartment, container, or rack on the vehicle parked in a designated parking facility (the place people are supposed to park when visiting one of the unauthorized locations). A person can also approach security upon arrival and notify them of the presence of the weapon and you must follow the instructions for removing, securing, storing or temporarily surrendering the weapon or long gun.

Quote Originally Posted by majorwoo View Post
    I'm not sure about everywhere, but in GA you can leave your weapon in the car at a parking lot of an otherwise off limits place.
    Does that apply to federal property, as well?

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Does that apply to federal property, as well?
    OCGA 16-11-127 on GeorgiaPacking.org

Has a bit more detail

(5) "Parking facility" means real property owned or leased by a government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar that has been designated by such government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar for the parking of motor vehicles at a government building or at such courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar.
    *edit to add*
    I can't say to federal property in general. What are you thinking?
    Last edited by majorwoo; July 27th, 2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added last line

*edit to add*
    I can't say to federal property in general. What are you thinking?
    Oh, say, something like military base housing that's detached from the main base. No gate/guards, but same rules as the actual base/federal installation...

edited to add: And you're just visiting...you don't live there... Actual "firearms in cars" rules that apply to visitors don't apply to residents with proper vehicle sticker/ID...

Oh, say, something like military base housing that's detached from the main base. No gate/guards, but same rules as the actual base/federal installation...
    Hrm. I would think you'd need to follow the same rules as the base itself then. I know when I go on base I leave mine at home.

Hrm. I would think you'd need to follow the same rules as the base itself then. I know when I go on base I leave mine at home.
    Correct, but in your post (#20), you made a blanket statement about GA and being able to leave it in your car "of an otherwise off limits place". As we can see, that is not always the case... And, the example wasn't even a "real" military base. Just detached military housing that's not even gated...but still federal property... Come to think of it, same goes for a military hospital which, sometimes, are not located on base, either.

Correct, but in your post (#20), you made a blanket statement about GA and being able to leave it in your car "of an otherwise off limits place". As we can see, that is not always the case... And, the example wasn't even a "real" military base. Just detached military housing that's not even gated...but still federal property... Come to think of it, same goes for a military hospital which, sometimes, are not located on base, either.
    Awfully convoluted IMO. You can't leave it in the base parking because the base doesn't have parking for people not authorized to be there - your not welcome there. The ability to leave your weapon in the car at the parking lot is for places your allowed to be, but aren't allowed to take a weapon. Military bases are a different ball of wax IMO.

IANAL

Did you not read my posts? I'm not talking about the ACTUAL base. I'm talking about "base related" properties, which are still federal, but not actually "on base". Are you honestly saying that a friend can't go visit someone living in base housing in a base neighborhood, but detached from the base? Because, this is most certainly allowed. Did it at the off base "base" housing near Kings Bay all the time years ago. Had a gun, too, and I'm sure I would have been fried if a base police car wanted to search my car because they did patrol the area. Just no gates to go through...

Of course I read the post. I'm saying your being tricky with your questioning on purpose. You wanted me to say you should follow the base rules, then point out how it doesn't seem to fit off base.

I don't know if it's a blanket everywhere parking lot or not. That's why I linked you the law to read for yourself.

I use a car safe for those instances and no I dont bring it onto a base.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I was talking about this blanket statement quoted below, which you posted in #20. You didn't add any following disqualifiers, which made it read as if it applied everywhere in GA, which is simply NOT true.

"in GA you can leave your weapon in the car at a parking lot of an otherwise off limits place."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links