Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon??

This is a discussion on Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mhunter I was talking about this blanket statement quoted below, which you posted in #20. You didn't add any following disqualifiers, which ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon??

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    I was talking about this blanket statement quoted below, which you posted in #20. You didn't add any following disqualifiers, which made it read as if it applied everywhere in GA, which is simply NOT true.

"in GA you can leave your weapon in the car at a parking lot of an otherwise off limits place."
    Those places specified in GA law as off limits are specified as excluded from being off limits when you are in the parking lot with a purpose to be at the place that would otherwise be off limits. It's a mouthful, so I tried to summarize it. Summarys of the laws are not the best place to get your legal advice (let alone internet forums). I'm sorry if I was unclear for you - I expected you to read the law and make your own interpretation - my summary was just for your convenience.

I fully concur that you can't go to every parking lot in GA with your gun. But that's also not what I was trying to say.

2. Remove Ads

If I have to leave my gun while riding my motorcycle and some place like the hospital is posted,I will field strip my gun and leave the frame cable locked to a D ring in my saddle bags while I take the barrel and slide with me,if somebody does target my bags they will need a tool to get the frame spending more time than necessary,and a barrel and slide is not a gun so as long as I park in a lot next to the Post Office not on Fed Property I can do the same thing,I live 20 miles from Mexico I DON'T GO TO MEXICO,My wife is Canadian,In the past I left my gun in a gunshop for cleaning the last time I traveled to Canada.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In most cases, I echo the sentiment that if I can't carry there, I don't go there. But there are exceptions, and solutions. For instance, I just returned from a week-long trip to from Iowa to Colorado with my family, and for nearly the entire trip I carried my Sig P220 Carry SAO in a Coronado Leather Stealth Pak or cross-draw in a Blackhawk soft IWB holster covered by a photo vest. However, three days of our trip were spent at a national drag racing event that banned firearms. For those occasions I field stripped the gun down to barrel, slide, magazine and frame, then wrapped each in a colored plastic bag (like from a grocery store), and stuck it in one of our dirty laundry (garbage) bags. Who's gonna search or steal a bunch of dirty laundry from the back end of a minivan? Extreme? I don't think so and it's certainly no more extreme than carrying a loaded handgun.
    I should probably add that at no time during our trip through Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado and back again, did I not see a single sign barring firearms from any premises (I knew from reading CO code that handguns are barred from events that charge an admission and from racetracks). I was also not hassled, and even received only knowing-yet-friendly winks from two burly employees at a Cabela's who were supposed to "check-in and secure" all firearms entering the store.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links