Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon??

Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon??

This is a discussion on Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have noticed a very frustrating part of carrying, and haven't noticed any discussions on this. (I'm sure there may have been, but I didn't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Carrying when part of your trip involves non carry area. Where to stow your weapon??

I have noticed a very frustrating part of carrying, and haven't noticed any discussions on this. (I'm sure there may have been, but I didn't see them -and others may have this question also) Here are 2 scenarios in which this issue could be a real problem:

1. You are out on foot (or on a bicycle) and running several errands for the day away from home and you must enter a place like: (the dreaded Post office) or other off limits place. Where does the gun go to wait until you come back? I don't think most people would trust chaining a backpack to a light pole with your weapon inside, unless (maybe) if it contains a micro vault, but that can be real inconvenient/bulky when on foot. Does the whole day have to be shot because of that ONE stop?

2. You are on a long trip (say cross country) and part of your trip takes you into Canada or Mexico. Where do you store your gun? Some say take it to a gun shop and "have it cleaned" (for an excuse to store it there) Any other ideas? Must we be forced not to carry during the other 90% of the trip?
    Last edited by romansten9; July 24th, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo

First off no firearms allowed in Mexico period. So I wouldn't even dream of taking it over the border(even though you would need it down there). Most grocery stores have mail centers so you can buy stamps and stuff, so you can avoid the post office.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Lead Moderator
    If part of your trip takes you across either the Northern or Southern US boarder I'd STRONGLY suggest leaving any guns home, especially handguns.

I've had some reenactor friends take flintlocks into Canada and back, and it takes some paperwork and preplanning! Mexico will toss you in jail for a stray round of ammo!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I guess it depends on your situation. I don't go to Canada or Mexico and the wife does the bill mailing.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    USPO as in you need insurance or a signed return receipt requested than it can be answered that concealed means concealed but that is an action which is known to be illegal--despite the many who do it.
    to plan the start of your day by doing that unarmed and 1st. it rather requires that you go out of your way but you do stay within the law. perhaps use the car for that quick run?

too risky to 'give it a go' as suppose a baby carriage handle catches on your shirt tail or a 5 year old falls against your waist .
    that klunk is gonna be heard. some PO's are spacious but where i am they are small and crowded. and even the parking on postal property is properly posted. its kinda annoying, but we plan around it and we will get by...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

As to Post Office carry in FL...that question has been previously debated. In our small town PO, I asked the Postmaster about concealed carry...he stated that he wasn't sure about the law and that he didn't care (leading me to believe...he didn't care).
    As far as going into Mexico or Canada (and I wouldn't go to either place), one could find a gun shop near the border and stow your firearm there...for a 'cleaning'?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

No problem in Mexico. While you are there you can ask for a free education, free health care, a housing subsidy, a job where you don't pay taxes, and everyone speak English to you. Wait! I may have this back wards.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    As to Post Office carry in FL...that question has been previously debated. In our small town PO, I asked the Postmaster about concealed carry...he stated that he wasn't sure about the law and that he didn't care (leading me to believe...he didn't care).
    As far as going into Mexico or Canada (and I wouldn't go to either place), one could find a gun shop near the border and stow your firearm there...for a 'cleaning'?
    on post office carrying there is no debate and your local postmaster gave you bad advice and apparently is too lazy to bother with knowing the law, federal codes prohibit carrying a firearm into any postal facility

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    on post office carrying there is no debate and your local postmaster gave you bad advice and apparently is too lazy to bother with knowing the law, federal codes prohibit carrying a firearm into any postal facility
    Ditto. I also wouldn't count on said post master to have your back if your'e ever caught in the post office. It's highly likely that he'd go to bat for you and step up to say, "I told him it's okay - no harm, no foul." Even if he did try to get your back, its more probable that his superior will take up the matter and press charges, etc.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm getting to a point in my life now that I don't really know I would go to a place that wouldn't allow me to carry. If I couldn't carry in Canada or any country for that matter, I'm not sure if I would go...

IMO...you skip those trips and go at another time.

If you know you're going into Canada or Mexico, don't bring a gun.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

It all boils down to planning. You can try to justify your actions or you can plan ahead to not need to worry about it.

If you're enough of a law abiding citizen to go through the steps to get a permit be enough of a law abiding citizen to follow the law pertaining to that activity.

It's not always easy but just like driving a car, sometimes the close parking spaces are full so you either park in the fire lane or park out in the far reaches of the lot.

The last time I went to Puerto Penasco, a general store on the American side of the border had rental lock boxes for firearms. If I ever go back there, I'll consider the lock box. The Canadian Border guards hassled me to no end and seemed disappointed that they didn't find anything. Never carry outside of the country.

Post office - look for a contract office, often found in drug stores. They are NOT USPS property, so no federal law involved. You can do most every mailing activity there.

Mexico - just be sure you have your ATF creds and you can walk a gun across the border, right?
    TVille likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

When I drive through Bloomyland (New York City) on a trip from upstate NY to Long Island NY (yeah, same State) I pull over and lock my unloaded pistols in a cabled safe in the trunk. Once I get to the NYC/Long Island border I load and reholster until the return trip.

bosco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links