Really strange feeling at Cabella's yesterday

This is a discussion on Really strange feeling at Cabella's yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I took the family to Cabella's in Allen, TX after church to get the Wife a holster and bed side safe for her handgun. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Really strange feeling at Cabella's yesterday

Really strange feeling at Cabella's yesterday

Yesterday I took the family to Cabella's in Allen, TX after church to get the Wife a holster and bed side safe for her handgun. After we walked in and past the greeters, my Wife tells me the guy at the gun check station was looking at me funny, I dismiss it as he was looking at a man and Wife with 5 kids coming in (we get that a lot).

We get to the back of the store where the gun counter and other fun stuff is located. After my sizable family makes its way to the shelves with holsters I start looking them over. At one point I stand up and look around for my Wife to ask her what she thinks of a holster, so my head is swiveling around and I catch 2 guys at the counter looking right at me, kind of leaned in to one another. I dismiss it.

I get a holster I want to check in to further, so I go to the counter to see if they can grab me a Walther PK380 to check the fit of the holster. As the guy tells me we need to go down the counter, another man comes up to him and says "I need to talk to you real quick. The first sales guy says, "Hang on, I have a customer." The 2nd guy tells him he will walk with him, then leans in on him while they turn away from me and walk down the counter.

We get to the smaller guns and when the man gets the PK380 and clears it, he keeps the mag in his hand. I'm sure this is SOP, I would hope so, but that plus all the whispering just made me feel as if I was not wearing a cover garment at all and if I had an AT-4 strapped to my back.

I have carried long enough to get past the "Everyone is looking at me" phase, so I don't think I am just being paranoid.

I tell my Wife all of this and she says, "well, in that shirt you do print pretty well. But only if you know what you are looking at." I tested this before I left the house and didn't think I printed, unless I bend over and try to touch my toes or something that drastic.

Maybe I can use this as on opportunity to get a thinner gun, like a 1911

Lesson learner about the PK380, not a whole lot of holster options for it. So now my Wife is a CrossBreed customer as well.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

I guess I'd have to see the printing to say for sure. Maybe you could take a picture. What I've found is that if only part of the gun is printing, it is too ambiguous as to what it is. But if you wear an OWB holster and a really tight, or wet shirt. Then you might get a print of the entire gun. At that point, I guess I might expect some strange looks.

Incidentally, I've never been to the Cabella's in Allen. I would imagine it is similar to the one in North Fort Worth on I35W? That is the one I always go to.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

So what? was it posted no carry? can you legally carry? then who cares how people look at you... it could have been anything. Don't sweat it unless you think you are about to get jumped. that's my take

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    let me get this straight. You were in the great state of Texas, you were inside a store that sells guns, and you may have been printing. Somehow this seemed strange to the employees that work there???

This story would make sense if it took place in the people's republic of Illinois.

I guess I should have also included my set up.

SW40VE in a SuperTuck at 4ish o'clock, with an untucked XXL polo style shirt that is fairly new (no shrinkage yet). I'll see if I can snap a pic tonight after I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    let me get this straight. You were in the great state of Texas, you were inside a store that sells guns, and you may have been printing. Somehow this seemed strange to the employees that work there???

This story would make sense if it took place in the people's republic of Illinois.
    That is what made it so odd and made me think of it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

GM
    Absolutely! Tell your wife that you need a 1911 so you do not print too much. And even better, tell her that you need two of them, a blued one and a stainless steel one so you can switch between them depending on the shirt color you are wearing that day. I am sure she will agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Some people are just like that; I should not worry about it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Maybe your pants ripped and the muzzle was hanging out :)

Theres a chance that the shirt got caught and you can see the grip or it was noticable that the shirt was tucked behind the grip a bit.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    When I see men looking at me "funny" I just put my finger in my ear and start talking into my wrist watch. Works for me

They were probably jealous; Cabela's employees aren't allowed to carry firearms on the premises while they're working.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    That has happened to me a few times (I have 4 kids), only once though that I can remember that was that obvious. I cant remember where it was because it was long ago but I do remember going up to her and asked if there was a problem. She said " no, no problem" and that was it.
    Normally I just let it ride, but that time it was similar to your experience.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Dr. Dennis845 says yes, you definitely need a new 1911 in .45 caliber to end the printing issues. May Dr. Dennis845 suggest a Rx for your needs in this order.

1. Wilson Combat .45
    2. Kimber Ultra CDP II
    3. Colt Commander .45

Dennis845
    Clinical Gun psychiatrist

side note... the PK380 fits nicely into a Blackhawk pancake holster for a Glock 17, the holster has more muzzle space than needed but the PK380 is snug.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    but WHICH model of Wilson Doctor Dennis, there are so many to choose from????
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Sounds to me like the wife just helped prove your case that you now need a 1911.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links