STUPID! Airport employee shot in leg at ticket counter

This is a discussion on STUPID! Airport employee shot in leg at ticket counter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Armstrong Airport employee shot in leg at ticket counter | wwltv.com New Orleans WWLTV.com KENNER, La. ― A bullet from a hunting rifle that was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: STUPID! Airport employee shot in leg at ticket counter

Armstrong Airport employee shot in leg at ticket counter | wwltv.com New Orleans

WWLTV.com

KENNER, La. ― A bullet from a hunting rifle that was being checked in at Armstrong International Airport on Monday morning struck a United Airlines employee in the leg.
    Somebody invite that fool to a blanket party!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Airport Carry - NOT!

Fortunately, no one was seriously injured. This was completely preventable and makes me wonder how many other times this same gun owner was carrying a loaded weapon he thought wasn't and just by luck didn't have an ND. I have always had good experiences checking firearms with ticket agents and cringe when one careless person makes us all look bad. So let this story serve as a reminder to perform the most basic of safety checks before leaving home and make sure your firearm is unloaded. To reinforce this for myself and the ticket agent who will be handing me the card to sign, I thread a cable lock through the action where possible or, for bolt guns, I remove the bolt. Others on this forum have also come up with some good suggestions.

United Airlines worker accidentally shot by passenger at Louis Armstrong International Airport | NOLA.com
    zippo9 likes this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I am sure this will spread like wild fire through the airline industry; making checking firearms more difficult.
    joker1 and NoNameMan like this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I just saw that story on Drudge.

The bullet struck the counter, and a piece of the bullet evidently struck the employee in the leg.
    He was taken to the hospital.
    I'll bet that got everyone's attention.

But, how dumb are some folks?
    How many brain cells does it take to check your weapon BEFORE you arrive at the airport?
    I'd throw the book at this numskull.

I see hunters declaring long guns all the time. Now when I'm in line behind them,
    I'll be wondering just how smart they are.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I am sure this will spread like wild fire through the airline industry; making checking firearms more difficult.
    Maybe it will make the 4 rules spread like wildfire and there won't be as many horror stories of wreckless handling popping up in the "Going to be flying with my firearms what to expect" type threads. One can only hope....

Though in fairness the linked article here, and the charges filed does make it read as though it was negligent handling of the firearm by the customer.

Flying is one of the times I'm a fan of the bright orange cable gun locks, making it very obvious the gun is unloaded. Lock the case with a key only I have and lock the firearm with a different key that only I have.

Glock Certified Armorer

The idiots are among us......lots of them...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Even if he forgot to check that the rifle was unloaded at home before going to the airport, he should have first checked the chamber and removed the magazine as usual before pulling the trigger. Stupid!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I've checked firearms in and had a clerk check my 686 to see if it was unloaded by picking it up and looking down the barrel. I stopped him when he started being stupid and he got real snotty and said "I know what I'm doing!" I guess not. Good thing I knew what I was doing.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

sounds like an error on both parts, but more so on the traveller who should have had his firearm unloaded.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the more the attempt to micro-manage; the more that there is needs managing

soon it becomes apparent to the intelligent that there is not room enough to write down all the instructions
    nor time enough to read them all. virtually endless rules vs common sense.
    when government gets in the middle, it is likely how the end will be.
    it will never end.
    ----------
    as for this individual episode--there are already laws that cover his 'mistake'
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

It seems that he had tons of experience...stuff happens, even if it shouldn't. I have the feeling that he won't do that again. Airport shooting accident out of character for experienced hunter, friend says | NOLA.com
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

He's gonna have a hell of a time finding somebody to mount an Airline ticket counter on his wall
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    It seems that he had tons of experience...stuff happens, even if it shouldn't. I have the feeling that he won't do that again. Airport shooting accident out of character for experienced hunter, friend says | NOLA.com
    Thanks for posting the follow-up

Two observations:

First, longtime friends are not always the best character references, just sayin ...

Second from the article:
    In addition to the misdemeanor summons from the Sheriff's Office, Deubler could face federal charges. Violations of TSA firearms regulations can lead to criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per breach, TSA spokesman Jonathan Allen said. U.S. Attorney Jim Letten confirmed his office was notified of the shooting and said the FBI also is investigating.
    FBI, involved why waste the tax expense. Possible additional charges for TSA violations, seems excessive but, I guess the Feds have to pay for the FBI investigation.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I fly Delta Airlines, and the several times or so I have flown with my handgun they have never asked to see it... just asked if it was unloaded and to see that it was inside of a locked case.

I guess Delta does figures the less the firearm is handled and seen the better for everyone's sake... and they are right!!!

As well, the "unloaded firearms declaration" that you sign is to be placed on the outside of your firearm case (if inside another suitcase) so the TSA will see it if they open up the outer suitcase to inspect anything else inside (not the firearm).

if one is checking just the firearm case, then obviously the "declaration" has to go inside... but I have never seen Delta ask anyone to show them the firearm or that it is unloaded (just took their word)... and of course, TSA knows what a "gun case" looks like... and one that is locked is one that they are not going to mess with unless there is really something "fishy"... never say never.... but I am assuming the number of actual "gun cases" TSA actually checks is very small.

Delta gets an A+ in my book - so far at least.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post
    I fly Delta Airlines, and the several times or so I have flown with my handgun they have never asked to see it... just asked if it was unloaded and to see that it was inside of a locked case.
    Wow interesting; US Air and Southwest (and maybe Continental can't remember for sure if I ever check a firearm with them) always ask to see empty chamber on handguns, never flown with long guns.

I guess Delta does figures the less the firearm is handled and seen the better for everyone's sake... and they are right!!!
    With proper handling it should not be a problem; though, I agree it would be nice if the airlines would take the owners word for it.

Delta gets an A+ in my book - so far at least.
    I hope you luck holds out, Delta out of or into PHL is terrible; I have written them off as a viable carrier never tried to check a firearm with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links