WIll I ever open carry? At this point probably not due to someone such as this...

WIll I ever open carry? At this point probably not due to someone such as this...

This is a discussion on WIll I ever open carry? At this point probably not due to someone such as this... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughters softball team competed in a world series tournament this past weekend. As always we parents with our lawn chairs, awnings, video cams and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: WIll I ever open carry? At this point probably not due to someone such as this...

My daughters softball team competed in a world series tournament this past weekend. As always we parents with our lawn chairs, awnings, video cams and coolers line up the same way down the third or first baseline dependent of which dugout the girls choose.
    And of course there were many teams from out of state, generally everyone we compete with has good sportsmanship.

Except our last...a grandparent of a opposing team member walked up to our group and asked us to move back so they could see their girls at home plate while batting. Granted we were on our dugout side along the baseline; some (group of 20 or so) of the parents from the opposing side were seated under their awnings at the end of the field which is about the 225 - 250 ft fence marker (but at the end of the baseline further down from us)

Well a grandparent was not happy with where I set up my chair and video cam (daughter wants to submit for college). I was insisten upon staying put and they were more than welcome to join us as we had already moved back some per their request. He could have easily moved to the right from where they were seated. This went back anfd forth for a few minutes, and their was no reasoning with the group.

Husband and other softball fathers had come to the rescue, and due to this grandparents remarks had I been OCing I gather more of his remarks would have gone that direction. It's not the best part of town and I was CCing, thankfully just CCing. (I am only assuming my witnesses present would have held up.) We are a great group of parents, and girls 16u, won the game; the umpires commented of the sportsmanship we displayed. Comments from them were just as rude in the stands. Unfortunately that whole group was just a bunch of unrespectful players and parents, & coaches.
    Last edited by JD; July 25th, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
    S&W 640-3

You're obviously not in FL...are you in OH or KS?

Congrats on keeping your 'cool'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's amazing how some loser parents live vicariously through their children like they're still varsity atheletes (or worse yet the ugly moms who put their daughters on that pageant shows.)

I was recently at my nephews little league game in which one dad from the oppossing side was such a rule stickler and fought any call. This is at a game of 7 and 8 year olds to whom baseball is still a GAME.

Good of you to keep you cool.

just to clarify- I'm not calling all sports parents losers, but you know which ones I'm talking about.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by 640girl View Post
    Husband and other softball fathers had come to the rescue, and due to this grandparents remarks had I been OCing I gather more of his remarks would have gone that direction. It's not the best part of town and I was CCing, thankfully just CCing. ....
    I understand the story until here: remarks in which direction?

Sorry the old head gave you a bad time, all three of my daughters compete in multiple sports so I know how some parent go way over the top.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I coach high school football and I am amazed at the audacity of people in regards to kids' sports. It sets such a bad example. And being in education I can generally tell exactly what parents are like based on theory children.

Way to keep your cool and be the bigger and better person!

BigJon

So what difference would OC make? How do you know it wouldn't have kept the situation quiet from the word go?
    tcox4freedom likes this.

I rank kids sporting events just below beer bars on my list of places to stay away from when carrying.
    Just too many chuckleheads gathered in one place. Kids sports tournaments have the same affect on some people as alcohol, it makes them do and say things that they wouldn't normally do or say........
    jwhite75, jem102, SIXTO and 3 others like this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    So what difference would OC make? How do you know it wouldn't have kept the situation quiet from the word go?
    The experience I have learned over the last 20 years tells me that open carry can necessarily escalate to the highest level pretty quick when someone feels threatened by a gun they can see. I personally prefer to conceal that last line of defense, keeping the possible threat from an attempt at a gun grab if a fight ensues, since they wouldn't know it was there from the get go. Cops have a slightly different set of circumstances that may help them with open carry. It is a personal choice obviously but my instincts tell me to avoid giving away my last card.
    jem102 and JOHNSMITH like this.
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

IMO , concealment of the piece keeps the gun " out of the equation", leaving that an option of your discretion.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I understand the story until here: remarks in which direction?
    Yup, and unfortunately it's where the whole point of the story is; unless this is a I will never OC because when the gun wasn't part of the equation someone got mad at me.

I stopped going to sporting events when the officials started name calling and cursing the high school kids, at a game where the parents where a complete non-issue, go figure.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I coach high school football and I am amazed at the audacity of people in regards to kids' sports. It sets such a bad example. And being in education I can generally tell exactly what parents are like based on theory children.

Way to keep your cool and be the bigger and better person!

BigJon
    I work in a high school, too! But on the rare occasion that unreasonable/high maintenance dorks show up on my radar screen...I just (immediately) remove them from the school grounds...problem solved!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If it were not for the parents/families, the little league games would actually be fun...for the kids as well as the spectators.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If it were not for the parents/families, the little league games would actually be fun...for the kids as well as the spectators.
    I remember playing little league on military bases as a dependent,kinda funny,but nobody got out of hand.
    But when my kids played sports in civilian life most of the parents were there for the fun of seeing the kids have fun,most people that seemed to get a little noisy and pushy seemed to have been drinking adult beverages before and during the game
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Some people have no class.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Thanks for that perspective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links