MI: News Flash Re: In Vehicle Carry

This is a discussion on MI: News Flash Re: In Vehicle Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well maybe not a news flash as it's been this way for some time, but to some this may be new. READ YOUR DARN LAWS ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JD

Thread: MI: News Flash Re: In Vehicle Carry

JD [OP]
    Administrator

MI: News Flash Re: In Vehicle Carry

Well maybe not a news flash as it's been this way for some time, but to some this may be new. READ YOUR DARN LAWS people!

You don't have to carry your gun concealed in your vehicle if you have a permit.

28.425c License; form; authorized conduct.

Sec. 5c.

(1) A license to carry a concealed pistol shall be in a form, with the same dimensions as a Michigan operator license, prescribed by the department of state police. The license shall contain all of the following:

(a) The licensee's full name and date of birth.

(b) A photograph and a physical description of the licensee.

(c) A statement of the effective dates of the license.

(d) An indication of exceptions authorized by this act applicable to the licensee.

(e) An indication whether the license is a duplicate.

(2) Subject to section 5o and except as otherwise provided by law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued by the county concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licensee to do all of the following:

(a) Carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person anywhere in this state.

(b) Carry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or not concealed, anywhere in this state.

Also, from an AG's opinion dated 2003:

By its express terms, the criminal prohibition in section 227(2) does not apply to a person licensed to carry a pistol, provided that the pistol is carried in a manner or place consistent with any restriction upon that license. This conclusion is further supported by section 425c(2) of the Concealed Pistol Licensing Act, MCL 28.425c(2), which expressly authorizes a concealed pistol licensee to "[c]arry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or not concealed, anywhere in this state." Moreover, section 231a(1)(a) of the Penal Code, MCL 750.231a(1)(a), provides that the prohibition against carrying a concealed pistol in a motor vehicle does not apply to a person holding a valid license to carry a concealed pistol, provided that the pistol is carried in conformity with any restrictions appearing on the license.1

2. Remove Ads

Yup, but you still have to notify verbally; just handing over a permit will not suffice. I was looking for that statute for another thread this afternoon, but I had to divert when I got tied up with other stuff, thanks for posting.

Glock Certified Armorer

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Yup, but you still have to notify verbally; just handing over a permit will not suffice. I was looking for that statute for another thread this afternoon, but I had to divert when I got tied up with other stuff, thanks for posting.
    From Handgunlaw.us
    MCL 28.425f(3) states: "An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle." The penalty for a first offense includes a $100 fine, and a CPL suspension of up to six months.

Thanks JD for the clarification I was hoping somebody would post the language. I couldnt find it last evening..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

This has been this way for a while now. It is also good for OCers to know this because in Michigan, whenever you have a loaded firearm in a vehicle it is considered concealed.

Kansas Law does not require you inform the LEO of your concealed weapons during a vehicle stop. I was informed by one instructor in a CC class to never tell LE unless they ask. I Feel this may elevate the intensity of the situation if for some reason the LEO decides to ask if you have any weapons on you later during the stop.

Before I was told not to inform LEO of my weapons I was pulled over for speeding. The normal drivers License and Registration routine insued. I promptly gave them to him and also let him know that I was a CCH holder and I was carring two weapons. He asked where I had them? I told him and he went back to his cruiser like every other traffic stop I've been in. When he came back he politely told me to slow down, buckle up and have a good day. I think he was one of us.

Links