Center of Mass or Secure-it for car storage?

This is a discussion on Center of Mass or Secure-it for car storage? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I needed to pick up a car safe. Ignoring all the good reviews here of the Center of Mass products, I went looking at Amazon, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center of Mass or Secure-it for car storage?

I needed to pick up a car safe. Ignoring all the good reviews here of the Center of Mass products, I went looking at Amazon, because I get free shipping there. The lower-end GunVault product seemed to have poor reviews, but the Secure-It looked good:

Amazon.com: Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe: Sports & Outdoors

I ordered it and just received it today, and I can't believe how cheap it is. When the safe is locked, you can open up about a 1/8" gap at the front. I'm pretty sure you could easily stick a screwdriver or pry bar in there and pry it open. But, that would be waste of effort, since you can look in the gap and see the latch mechanism. I took a bent piece of wire, stuck it in there, and in about 30 seconds was able to work the latch open. They have the sides of the safe shielded so you can't stick anything in, I'm not sure why they wouldn't protect the front (the latch) in the same way. I'd avoid this product unless you're looking for the most rudimentary form of protection.

So, is the low-end Center of Mass safe any better? Looking at their website, the pictures look almost identical to what I have now. I could send back the Secure-it safe, but maybe I'd be better off just reinforcing it.

Thanks,

Kelly

The COM safes are better than that. They don't have a gap where you could force a lever in.

However, they are not completely theft-proof. I'm sure that with time, and a cordless drill, they can be compromised.

They work pretty good, if your car is locked, and no one has any idea that they're there.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have a slim gun vault biometric safe in there. Its better that what you ended up with but i think that most safes that will fit in your car can be yanked out if anyone really cared. I dont feel completely safe with it but being since my car is a hatchback an i dont have a single locking compartment, its something.

No the COM safes are pretty good. As already stated, they are not fool proof, but should work well for what you need; a place to store your gun temporarily. I keep mine hidden under a seat behind me.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

+1 for COM

While indeed it won't hold off the cast from 'The Italian Job', it'll stop a quick smash and grab for sure.
    "What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Irish/German + Mexican = Full-Blooded American

I have a COM combination safe for both my car and the wife's car. The combination lock is a little hard to manipulate, but the safe is nice and tight. The heavy duty cable will prevent anyone from cutting it with anything but a heavy bolt cutter.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

I have a Nanovault 100 I keep under the seat of my car as my employer forbids weapons but NElaw provides the right to keep in in the vehicle in the parking lot. (Won that fight w/ the corp atty, no less!) I've been real happy with the nanovault so far. It does close tightly, I've caught my shirt a couple times and had to unlock it to get my shirt back out. The 100 is small, fits my Kahr, they also make 200 and 300 models that are larger.

dave

I have three COM safes, one in each vehicle. Work great, so far!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have the COM safe and I use it in the car and as a lockbox in hotels,etc. I think that locked and cabled it will deter all but the most persistent burglar.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Never had a problem with my CoM Safe...great short term storage.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The one in that picture is identical (IDENTICAL) to the two COM's i just got in the mail.

I like my COM safe. If I have to leave a gun in the car, it is secure against casual theft. That's what it's designed to do. It's not Fort Knox.

At least in my case (key version), when the lid locks down it locks down tight. Zero play.

If I had to steal it, I would unbolt the seat from the rails and remove the seat. Then I'd unbolt the seat rail and slide the cable off and take the safe to someplace I could try prying and cutting the thing open. That's pretty much the deal, either that or bolt cutters. But again, that's not really what this device is for.

Rather, I think it's a higher level of protection than offered by your glovebox or console. It is irresponsible to "hide" your gun under the seat of your car. This is the minimum amount of due diligence you should pay to ensure that some teen or valet doesn't just grab your gun and make off with it.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I have two COM safes. One is attached by cable in the trunk and the other I carry in our luggage for locking up my 642 when we are visiting grandchildren.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Rather, I think it's a higher level of protection than offered by your glovebox or console. It is irresponsible to "hide" your gun under the seat of your car. This is the minimum amount of due diligence you should pay to ensure that some teen or valet doesn't just grab your gun and make off with it.
    - I agree. It's going to deter the average smash and grab thief. I only use it when I need to go to a location where my firearm is not allowed to be carried.

+1 for the nano vault, i have the 200. Thanks for the heads up about the other one, hopefully you can return it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links