Concealed Carry Usefullness in Connecticut (and elsewhere?)

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Usefullness in Connecticut (and elsewhere?) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently moved to Connecticut from New York and am considering taking the ccw class and getting my carry permit. Getting a carry permit in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Usefullness in Connecticut (and elsewhere?)

Concealed Carry Usefullness in Connecticut (and elsewhere?)

I've recently moved to Connecticut from New York and am considering taking the ccw class and getting my carry permit. Getting a carry permit in New York was effectively impossible and it's kind of nice to be in a state that allows (at least by practice it's a shall-issue state, although by law a may-issue). Reading the law, however, I see that carrying in a space/business that posts a firearms prohibition on their doors is against the law rather than just against the rules of the establishment. So you can be arrested (with resultant loss of your permit) and not just asked to leave the business. Then being more aware of these prohibition signs I begin to look for them and, so far, every mall has one and many of the small businesses also seem to have placarding regarding firearms carry.

So as I see it, and certainly as it most definitely is, when I get my permit, I can exercise my constitutional right to carry as a legally permitted citizen everywhere with the exception of EVERY place I'm EVER likely to visit in and around my state. So basically I can drive around in my car marveling at my shiny new permit and my legal lump of protection in my waistband but , pretty much, not exit my vehicle and really go anywhere useful. Effectively it's a permit to "kinda carry sometimes maybe, in certain situations", which makes it near useless. Is this how it is in other states? And how do you approach the problem? I'll probably get the permit so I can have it in my home (the resident permit is nearly the same price as the full carry) but will I carry? I don't know.

2. Remove Ads

Gun buster signs are around in MI, but there are not that many. I approach it this way, if I can get it somewhere else that allows me to carry I will. Thats about it. We also have our gun free zones, but that is another matter all together. Good luck and welcome to the forums.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

In Texas the signs had to have specific wording and size to be a legal sign you had to obey. Unfortunately you could be charged with criminal trespassing if you didn't obey the sign. I never ran across many signs. In Idaho signs don't have any weight. You can only get in trouble if you are asked to leave and you don't leave. In north Idaho I haven't seen any signs.

I don't know what part of CT you're in but when I was in the northwest part of the state I haven't seen any no gun signs posted any where. And your permit is still good for other things. In that state with their backwards laws you need to have a carry permit just to own a pistol.

In florida (cc only state), there are little to no signs that say you cannot carry somewhere. I guess most businesses dont care as long as they dont know you have one/cant see it. If they do find out you will be asked to leave. You wont be arrested unless you refuse to leave. Also, their signs like most other state's have to be a certain size.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Reading the law, however, I see that carrying in a space/business that posts a firearms prohibition on their doors is against the law rather than just against the rules of the establishment.
    NC is the same way. Fortunately, I haven't seen too many places with this sign, other than the obvious ones that don't require signs such as ABC stores, and the post office.

If by chance, you do wind up in a store with such a sign, and honestly and legitimately didn't see it, you will likely want to offer a sincere apology and leave the premises. As long as you don't make a scene or get belligerent about it, I think that it is unlikely that you will wind up in serious trouble.

It's still worth it.
    If it's not to far you should take the class at the S&W armory in Springfield MA. They have Connecticut classes. I think you will enjoy it. I took mine their.

I lived in CT for just over four years (Naugatuck area) and had my State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. There IS no "legal signage". If it's posted, then it's legally off limits. I believe it was a Class C misdemeanor if you were caught carrying. ANY sign at all made it illegal to carry. That's the huge problem I had with the open carry movement in CT. CT is technically an open carry state because there's nothing in the laws preventing it. However, God help you in downtown Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven, Groton, New London...just about everywhere...if you're spotted OC'ing... You WILL be approached and, quite possibly, arrested for "breach of peace". That's how they always get you. The open carry group stages these "protests" and does everything they can to get their BS in the newspapers, on TV, etc. CT is NOT a "gunny" type state and the average joe, by and large, does not think about firearms. When I lived there, hardly any places were posted. Now, signs are popping up all over the place because firearms CARRY has been brought to the forefront of attention and the hordes of anti businesses are posting as "no carry" zones. Yay for the open carry movement. Good job...not... This is a perfect example of doing something in the wrong place at the wrong time, no matter how much "good" they think they're accomplishing.

Wanna know something really scary? Actually read the law(s) about "no carry" places. The ONLY thing it addresses is carrying against the wishes of the owner or person(s) exercising control over the premises. So, if you're carrying, get "made" and they have "rules"... Guess what? You can get arrested just the same and a sign is not even needed. NOTHING in the law(s) says a place has to be posted. Only that they don't want carry in their establishment. God I love being back in Arizona...for good...

And, this isn't ancient history, either... We moved back to AZ just last year so this is pretty recent experience...

You could always move somewhere more gun friendly.

If I see a no guns sign anywhere, I'll just go get what I need somewhere else. Thankfully they're far and few between. The only one I can remember is at a hospital two towns over, but hospitals are the one place I'll carry whether they want me to or not.

I was in ND the other day though, and had to pay attention since their laws are unclear on signage. Just pay attention and look for stores that allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    In that state with their backwards laws you need to have a carry permit just to own a pistol.
    Not true. There is also a permit to purchase pistols and revolvers, which is not as involved as a carry permit, and, obviously, you cannot carry on just a purchase permit. It's only a pre-approved "permission slip" from the state to buy a handgun and I think it's only good for 30 or 60 days anyway. It DOES make more sense to just go ahead and get the carry permit, but it's not required. You can also own handguns, which were inherited, with no paperwork from the state. But, they can basically never leave the house again since you pretty much need that carry permit to take a handgun ANYWHERE...even the range just for practice.

The only places I can't carry a gun in the great state of South Dakota would of course be bars, churches, schools, court houses, and goverment buildings. There may be a FEW businesses that don't want me to bring a gun in to their establishment but I have yet to find one.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I live in Texas and have long ties to CT. I don't have a CT non-resident permit so can't carry while there.

As luck would have it, I had an incident there which fortunately ended without harm, but during which I sure wish I had been armed.

Go with what you can do. Get the permit and carry where it is allowed. It isn't perfect, but it is better than not carrying.

My incident happened in broad daylight, at a gas station on a very busy street. If you are familiar with Meriden and Middletown, it was on Washington Ave (66) between the two, a couple of miles from Wesleyan U. You just never know. Been there hundreds of times in my life and it was about the last place I would expect to have been confronted by a lunatic.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Alude904 View Post
    In florida (cc only state), there are little to no signs that say you cannot carry somewhere. I guess most businesses dont care as long as they dont know you have one/cant see it. If they do find out you will be asked to leave. You wont be arrested unless you refuse to leave. Also, their signs like most other state's have to be a certain size.
    not quite right, there is no provision in any fla law regarding the size of a sign prohibiting guns and signs on businesses do not have the force of law behind them. there is a list of places in fla that a concealed carrier cannot carry in fla regardless of there being a sign or not. I am too lazy to do your homework but go to the doacs web site and you can find the list.
    In fla any store owner can request that you leave his business for almost any reason, and if you refuse you face arrest for trespass
    trespassing while armed is a felony

You are reading WAY too much into CT's CCW restrictions.

If you are looking for a more in depth briefing on CT CCW laws, we can set something up at my office.

PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    You are reading WAY too much into CT's CCW restrictions.
    Really? How so? Are you only addressing the OP?

I haven't heard any from there talk about that type of permit. They have talked about a town carry permit that you have to get before you get your state permit. All I can say is that I'm glad I left that state when I graduated high school.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links