Help From Michigan Residents

This is a discussion on Help From Michigan Residents within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I need some help i have tried researching but I am unable to find the information. I currently live in Ohio but I am ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BigRAM
  • 1 Post By Supertac45

Thread: Help From Michigan Residents

Help From Michigan Residents

Hello,

I need some help i have tried researching but I am unable to find the information. I currently live in Ohio but I am moving to Michigan due to a Job Offer within the next few years. I own handguns and I was wondering would I be able to take them with me if I move from Ohio to Michigan. I know Michigan has stricter Handgun Laws than Ohio and If I rent/lease a home or apartment am I considered a Michigan resident if my driving license is from Ohio. I currently have a CCW permit from ohio but i was wondering if i make a move to michigan would i be able to tak my handgun if i just rent a place.

thanks for the help in advance.
    dcselby1 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I cant help you with Mich laws, but whether you rent or own usually has no bearing on residentship. There may be regulations from whom ever you rent from. There are also usually regulations on obtaining a local drivers license upon residency.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Try this site out. MCRGO - Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners lot of good info. I hope this helps.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Here's another excellent site:

MSP - Firearms

You have a resident permit from a state you reside in, that means the county gun board can waive the 6 months residency requirement (not has to but can).

All of the information you need is here.

Also you will have to find an ffl to transfer them in state and the register them with the state.

MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

Welcome to DC
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

You do not need an FFL to bring your guns to MI. or help with anything since they already belong to you. Contact your local police department where you'll be moving to and they will help you out.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Unless you are making your move permanent, MI has hand gun registration, something none of us residents like. Should you make MI your permanent home, two things welcome to the state we have multiple groups here you may wish to get acquainted with and we are now mostly a pro gun state OC is legal with restrictions on where you can and cannot.

Second you will have to get all your hand guns registered, if you have a valid MI CCW then it is free, if not then you must purchase a card for each gun and jump through the hoops at the local PD where ever you end up...

If this is only a temporally move basically you are covered under a reciprocity agreement Mi has with Ohio, so your permit is valid here but you may wish to have a look at our rules so you do not make an grievous error going into a CEZ when it can be avoided..

Either way keep us posted on where and someone will be able to hook you up with a nice range and give you the skinny on the local gun shops and shows....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    You do not need an FFL to bring your guns to MI. or help with anything since they already belong to you. Contact your local police department where you'll be moving to and they will help you out.
    I thought I had read that you needed this, I could easily be wrong though. Don't over look talking to the local police as you will have to register your guns..... Also keep in mind Michigan is a very confused state politically, so although the goverment is gun friendly, they also insist and being unfriendly at the same time.

You only need to register them if you take up permanent residence....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links