How to be legal to carry in SC

This is a discussion on How to be legal to carry in SC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I have my resident permit in a state that South Carolina does not honor, how can I legally carry in SC? On the Non-Resident ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to be legal to carry in SC

How to be legal to carry in SC

If I have my resident permit in a state that South Carolina does not honor, how can I legally carry in SC?

On the Non-Resident Application Form you have to claim land that you pay taxes on, it seems, in order to qualify.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You are correct. Although, I'm a little confused - your location says South Carolina. Why not switch your resident permit to here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    If I have my resident permit in a state that South Carolina does not honor, how can I legally carry in SC?

On the Non-Resident Application Form you have to claim land that you pay taxes on, it seems, in order to qualify.
    you can't because SC does not honor non resident out of state permits, in other words if you are a resident of NY and have a FLA permit SC will not honor the FLA permit, you must be a resident of the reciprocating state for SC to honor your permit.
    if you are a legal resident of SC why don't you get a SC permit?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    buy land in SC.

I go to school at Clemson, and am not technically a legal resident because my car is still registered at home, DL is home, and permanent address is home, even though I have an APT here and have for the past 4 years. As well, this is more future planning because I have a job offering and am planning to move to another state that SC still doesnt honor but want to visit Clemson and SC for football games and all of my friends will continue to still live here. On my budget would rather not buy land, lol.

VIP Member
    I feel your pain. I have friends in Georgia that simply hate to cross over the state line because they cannot carry here, while with a $60 PA non-resident, I can carry in GA without issue. I recall a bill being in play to fix this, but it died. I expected a lot more from Nikki Haley, given her tea party roots.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Governor Haley can't sign anything unless it gets to her desk. We need to clean out the state house and start over.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    I go to school at Clemson, and am not technically a legal resident because my car is still registered at home, DL is home, and permanent address is home, even though I have an APT here and have for the past 4 years. As well, this is more future planning because I have a job offering and am planning to move to another state that SC still doesnt honor but want to visit Clemson and SC for football games and all of my friends will continue to still live here. On my budget would rather not buy land, lol.
    Unfortunately in your case it appears your out of luck.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's like Sc doesn't honor anyone

Quote Originally Posted by CUMMINS View Post
    It's like Sc doesn't honor anyone
    Except Florida residents ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    we're trying to catch up here.

WHEC and I are in the same boat. We live on the border of GA, and we can't carry there w/o a non res from another state. I have mine from NH and it affords me the "priveledge" to carry there. If it wasn't for the number of vacation properties on the coast i doubt we would even have the non-res law we have as it is now.

And yes, I agree if Nikki gets a bill she will sign it. There was one introduced that didn't make it to the floor this session but is/was slated to make it to the next one IIRC.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Living in an apartment doesn't make you a resident in SC? Most states give you the option of moving your DL and car etc if you're in an apartment and going to college, can't say the same for dorm life though.

Glock Certified Armorer

They honor TN resident.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

what state are you a resident of? if you get a carry permit from your home state does it reciprocate with SC? if not you are not carrying concealed in SC.
    My son goes to school in TX, he is a FLA resident and is getting a FLA permit, TX reciprocates with FLA so he is good to carry in TX

I think if I lived far away I would have switched but I am a GA resident.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links