So sayeth you all...

So sayeth you all...

This is a discussion on So sayeth you all... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, among the places FL statute 790.06 prohibits a concealed firearm is: "any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms." So I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tflhndn

Thread: So sayeth you all...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

So sayeth you all...

Okay, among the places FL statute 790.06 prohibits a concealed firearm is: "any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms."

So I attend a Cirque du Soleil performance at a "sports arena" and there over the door is a sign stating that per FL law, no concealed firearms.

While I can't contest that sign if I am attending a FL Panthers hockey game, My feeling is that it falls into the worthless catagory for an "non-sporting, entertainment" event.

Any disagreement? I started to ask the guys in blue there, but I already had a "ride."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well, without being familiar of FL law myself, I would at least say that the part you quoted seems to not apply. Is there any other part that may cover it? I know some states have restrictions on carrying anywhere you're charged admission.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    My general rule of thumb is when in doubt, stow it.

VIP Member
    I believe that FL has a law allowing property owners to post their property. The property is posted, so I would not carry. I realize the signs don't carry the weight of law, but I would not push it. One could, arguably, call the event you attended a professional sporting event. They are clearly athletes.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I believe that FL has a law allowing property owners to post their property. The property is posted, so I would not carry.
    Actually, signs have zero weight in FL, unless they are posted on one of the limited types of restricted premises.

As I read the law, the op is good to go.

Could be better safe than sorry and just stow it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by spensergig View Post
    Actually, signs have zero weight in FL, unless they are posted on one of the limited types of restricted premises.

As I read the law, the op is good to go.

This, OP is good to go. Just keep in mind that if for any reason you are told to LEAVE you must comply or you're committing armed trespass - a felony.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I do not know Fla. law nor am I well versed in legalities per se. My thought on this, however, has to do with "application". Let's say for the sake of argument, for example, that your interpretation of your right to carry is correct and to carry while attending this event is legal. At the same time, however, let's say that one of the attendants, security guards, etc. spot you for whatever reason and discover you are carrying. My guess is that even if you are in the right and you try to explain this to whomever is engaging you in this matter, they are going to shut you down and force you to leave. If you resist because you are well aware that the "authority" is in the wrong, then your non-compliance will be the issue that they will nail you with, etc.

I am fairly confident that any attempts to explain or show an authority figure how they are wrong in the application of how they assess or apply their corrective measure is always going to face heavy resistance. Not only are they used to people trying to talk their way out of a mess but pride may come to be an issue as well.

If you are confident that it is legal for you to carry at this event then do so but my suggestion is to make sure that you are well concealed, etc.

I would error on the side of caution..testing the waters is never a good idea. JMO
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

If it is not "Illegal" to carry there, I foolw the rule of "Concealed means concealed"
    mhunter likes this.

The way Missouri law covers events such as that is by wording it "any sports arena with a seating capacity of over 5,000."

Of course, in Missouri, it's not a criminal offense to violate, and only a trespassing ordinance charge if you refuse to leave when asked.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You are safe to carry there...I've carried there, too!
    The sign means nothing, and it is not a place illegal to carry.

Stay armed...enjoy the show...stay safe!

FL places off-limits when carrying:
    1. any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
    2. any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
    3. any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
    4. any courtroom*
    5. any polling place
    6. any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
    7. any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
    8. any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
    9. any school administration building
    10. any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
    11. any elementary or secondary school facility
    12. any area technical center
    13. any college or university facility*
    14. inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
    15. any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links