Medium wait over in Colorado

This is a discussion on Medium wait over in Colorado within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I figured I'd post my second thread, other than the obligatory "Hi, I'm new from Colorado" thread. Today I went in to get printed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Medium wait over in Colorado

Medium wait over in Colorado

Well, I figured I'd post my second thread, other than the obligatory "Hi, I'm new from Colorado" thread.

Today I went in to get printed and have my ugly mug recorded for posterity at the local sheriff's. I figured they would mail it to me, and make me wait as long as they legally could, but as soon as things were done, the clerk said to wait in the lobby while the card was being printed. The clerk was as professional as could be, polite, efficient, and understanding, I could not have asked for a better experience there, and I told the clerk they put the right person in that particular spot.

Just last week my order from the Belt Guy came in, only three weeks after a Crossbreed Quickclip. The other holster is a Raven Phantom Modular.

The whole CCW procedure took just around the 90 day limit, and was a very smooth process.

I'd be curious to hear about others experiences, good and bad, when going about this.
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

2. Remove Ads

It all depends on what county you live in.

Jefferson took darn near the full 90 days for me. Either Adams or Arapahoe went as far as making you schedule an appointment to even drop off the application - and they were booked 6 months out, then your 90 days started. I've heard that Denver is more like may issue (nothing to confirm that). Larimer county I suspect has a rapid turnaround since the Sheriff is 100% for the average Jane/Joe getting the CCW.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I live in lake County and it took right at 60 days for mine to get all done.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Either Adams or Arapahoe went as far as making you schedule an appointment to even drop off the application - and they were booked 6 months out, then your 90 days started.
    Not true of Arapahoe County.

The Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office has regular hours for walk-in applications, as posted on the website: "Applications for new, renewal or retired peace officer concealed handgun permits will be accepted on a walk in basis at the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office Administration Building located at 13101 East Broncos Parkway in Centennial. The hours for submitting applications are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m."

When I applied originally in 2004, the process took 8 weeks. When I renewed in 2009, I walked in during the regular hours, and walked out 20 minutes later with new permit in hand.

I live in Boulder county and the process took 8 weeks.

Douglas County took 3 weeks.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I think mine took 47 days or something I can't remember

Hey all,

Good to see some Colorado presence here! In Weld county, it took me 77 days to first get my permit about a year ago. Quick question for you all: I have since moved to Denver county, but I'd like to avoid re-licensure here if possible. Since my original permit was in Weld, I can renew there as well, correct?

Question: I got my permit in Weld County and now Iím moving to another county, how do I transfer my permit?
    Answer: You donít. As of 2003 your permit is valid statewide. You will need to update your address with us (the original issuing agency) so we can update your information in our database.
    Question: Do I have to submit the address change form in person?
    Answer: No, you can have the form notarized and then you can mail it in.
    Question: How long do I have after I move to submit my address change?
    Answer: You are required to notify us within 30 days or you could be subject to a Class 1 Petty Offense.

Now Jefferson County states that you can renew at Jefferson County even if you have moved. Best to call Weld County and find out.
    charski likes this.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I don't remember exactly how long it took in Larimer county, seems like 6 weeks.

Moving out of a county and not updating your info can get you branded as a felon. The Sheriff in the county may not be too happy if you're caught, but the local cops and D.A.'s office won't have any sense of humor.

Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

Jefferson County took the full 90 days. I think they must just sit on them as long as they can. Staff was very pleasant and efficient.

Another 90 day waiter in Jeffco, but that was a few years ago.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerl View Post
    ...I think they must just sit on them as long as they can.
    That would be forever. Think about it: the law says 90 days but there is no prescribed penalty to the county for a violation of the time limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    That would be forever. Think about it: the law says 90 days but there is no prescribed penalty to the county for a violation of the time limit.
    IIRC - They must issues at that point, but as you stated, no penalty, and no indication as to when they will get around to the "must" part.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

I'd like to know if anybody has recent experience with Adams county. I turned in my stuff around a month ago. They were nice, only had to wait for about 10 minutes before I turned it all in. Had heard reports they were taking the full 90 days, and then other saying it was only a few weeks. They have started mailing them out when they are through now, instead of making everybody drive to Brighton twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links