Another example of why open carry is a bad idea and discretion could keep you alive. - Page 3

Another example of why open carry is a bad idea and discretion could keep you alive.

This is a discussion on Another example of why open carry is a bad idea and discretion could keep you alive. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sigmanluke HA HA HA HA.... You have never not noticed someone open carrying (that you noticed)....that's a ridiculous comment. How do you ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Another example of why open carry is a bad idea and discretion could keep you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    HA HA HA HA....

You have never not noticed someone open carrying (that you noticed)....that's a ridiculous comment. How do you know there have been NONE that you didn't notice?

That's absurd.
    Thank you for the grammar lesson. It seems all the open carry fanatics have come out and derailed the thread without even trying to answer the issues I posed. As expected from them.
    A_D likes this.

A_D
    I can't say many years...yet, but I agree completely that OC goes nearly un-noticed (if the carrier isn't flaunting it). I prefer to OC off duty, as I did before I was a LEO. To me, let each carry as they choose.
    I ALWAYS NOTICE IF SOMEONE HAS A GUN! You don't think a BG will notice?! That's crazy to say that OC goes unnoticed- ESPECIALLY TO A CRIMINAL!
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

-Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    While no one would know what an active shooter is thinking before he launches his attack I would feel my own chances of being singled out as an early victim would be at least somewhat diminished if my weapon were concealed. Nothing against OC I just know my own mindset, that is irregardless of almost any given tactial scenario an active shooter will come out of nowhere with great terror & surprise. So by carrying concealed one might have a better chance of returning the "surprise". Not saying OC is not the way to go just stating my current mindset.
    A_D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Reports are saying the first victim the Norway shooter popped was an armed security guard. I am only assuming but I feel he targeted the individual because he was armed and he posed a threat to him when he started shooting. I am sure he assessed the situation, identified the open carrier AKA armed security guard as a threat, and put him down first, leaving him wide open to slaughter unarmed civilians.

Bottom line is we are living in a changing world. Mumbai style attacks are common in other places in the world and homegrown muslims and politically unstable alike are letting their political ideology manifest in their pea brains to create violence and terror.

Would you rather be the open carry proponent, strutting like a peacock throughout the crowd, with a false sense of security that you are actually preventing crime by the mere presence of your firearm? Only to be targeted first by the extreme islamic crazy or extreme political crazy who has been sociopathically studying his or her target?

Or would you rather be the discrete sheepdog, blending in with the sheep. Who actually has a chance of defending his or herself from one of these crazed attacks when it begins, not being targeted first due to discretion.

I have discussed this in depth with coworkers and peers and we all have come to the conclusion that is only a matter of time before this type of attack becomes more prevalent due to either religious or political views and the ever sweeping wave of hate around the world. So I would like to discuss it with this group.

My conclusion and opinion is that while open carry is a "right" in some states, ( or should I say a privilege depending on what legal way you look at it), there really is no advantage to doing so in a public, urban or suburban setting where discretion and surprise are your allies in any self defense situation, whether it be a singular attack, or some nut job taking his or her frustrations out on society for one reason or another. I have called open carry, "amateur carry", for a reason and see no self defense use for it outside of rural and wilderness settings. Understandably in states where open carry was the only option, but when concealed carry is an option I just do not see the advantage. I would rather have surprise on my side than a visual deterrent.

Thoughts?
    Do you have a link? It was my understanding that he was an off duty cop. An unarmed off duty cop. And that a majority of the local police are unarmed most of the time... And that in order to check out a firearm, they have to get authorization from the police chief. Which further delayed response.

If any thing, this just further reinforces to me that you can't rely on others for your personal security.. Even the police.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

The officer was shot first, what would make anyone think that if THIS bad guy saw someone open carrying that he wouldnt shoot them first or next...It stands to reason that a BG hell bent on going thru with it, WILL.
    A_D likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Thank you for the grammar lesson. It seems all the open carry fanatics have come out and derailed the thread without even trying to answer the issues I posed. As expected from them.
    I'm not a fanatic at all, why are you an OC basher? I don't bash CCers for their choice, why do you feel the need to treat those who choose to OC like they're stupid?

You didn't answer my question either, how do you know that you haven't missed one, a few, or many OCed guns?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm not a fanatic at all, why are you an OC basher? I don't bash CCers for their choice, why do you feel the need to treat those who choose to OC like they're stupid?

You didn't answer my question either, how do you know that you haven't missed one, a few, or many OCed guns?
    Are you going to berate me for violating your 1st and 2d amendment rights now? Thanks for the fanatical derailment

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The officer was shot first, what would make anyone think that if THIS bad guy saw someone open carrying that he wouldnt shot them first or next...It stands to reason that a BG hell bent on going thru with it, WILL.
    HE WAS AN _UN-ARMED_ OFF DUTY OFFICER, NOT an OCer.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

If he was an OCer he probably would have been carrying a video camera to tape his encounters......

this thread is derailed by the fanatics you can close it if you like I am done here

I have called open carry, "amateur carry", for a reason and see no self defense use for it outside of rural and wilderness settings.

Thoughts?
    Do you really expect a serious conversation stating such garbage as this? Fanatical derailment started with the first post.

You're question seemed to be "Thoughts?" And you have gotten a few. You seem to be pretty critical of the ones you don't like.
    sigmanluke and mkh like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

The thoughts are more like whining because someone took your ball away. I don't care. If you like amateur carry then do so. The world is not laughing with you.

As far as everyday carry goes I prefer to blend in and be discrete. So it's concealed carry for me.

I think there's too many variables to determine that open carry prevents crime or not. It's pretty difficult to gauge what people don't do. I'm talking day to day crimes we are all familiar with.

I do not believe open carry would make a bit of difference to a political or religiously motivated individual who is determined to inflict mass murder. If they are willing to do that they probably figure they are going to get caught or die anyway. It's hard to scare off a person like that if they don't care one way or another.
    Question Everything!

I think (in the hopes of turning this back into a reasoned debate), we need to separate the "bad guys".

1) Common Criminal. This guy wants to rob you for your $20 so he can go get a crack rock. I believe that he would be deterred by an OC firearm or two.

2) Spree Shooter. Gabby Giffords, Virginia Tech, etc. Probably so focused on his "mission" that there could be a whole SWAT Team eating donuts and wouldn't notice, let along Joe Open Carrier.

3) Ideological or Religious Terrorist. Probably would notice weapons. Probably would target carriers first.

Thoughts?
    A_D likes this.

That is my entire point. Which is why I go back to the fact that if I am discrete and grey.... i.e no 5.11 tactical pants and shirts, don't tread on me t-shirts, glock hats, combat boots with shorts then I stand a much better chance of being able to deliver the surprise delivered to me back than I do if I had already played my cards on the table by oc'ing. I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that the game changed on sept 11th and before and there are many out there who hate us. More political and or religiously motivated mass shootings have been happening as opposed to the cho instances. Which brings me to the point of why put your cards on the table when it comes to self defense?
    Glockwatcher likes this.

That is my entire point. Which is why I go back to the fact that if I am discrete and grey.... i.e no 5.11 tactical pants and shirts, don't tread on me t-shirts, glock hats, combat boots with shorts then I stand a much better chance of being able to deliver the surprise delivered to me back than I do if I had already played my cards on the table by oc'ing. I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that the game changed on sept 11th and before and there are many out there who hate us. More political and or religiously motivated mass shootings have been happening as opposed to the cho instances. Which brings me to the point of why put your cards on the table when it comes to self defense?

I hope this doesn't come out as judgmental or confrontational, because I respect you a lot... but here's the problem I have with this thread. You're basically assaulting a rather large and vocal segment of the firearms carrying community with your OP. Even the headline has an angry tone to it.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times (online and off), we HAVE to stand together as a community. Like yourself, I am almost exclusively CC. I don't want to stand out, I don't want confrontations at the checkout line, I don't want to be harassed by a cop who doesn't like civilian carry because I walked down the street. But, they ARE members of our community. I don't see the difference between deriding OCers and those that are "gun people" but don't want "high capacity" magazines or "assault rifles".

Even the "CCW badge" people, though I might roll my eyes at them, deserve our allegiance and respect. If we let one segment of our population be singled out, eventually we all lose.
    BugDude and sigmanluke like this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links