Another example of why open carry is a bad idea and discretion could keep you alive.

This is a discussion on Another example of why open carry is a bad idea and discretion could keep you alive. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sixsccw 4. It is grossly, indisputably unsound from a tactical standpoint. Strategically, it is extremely ill-advised. Which could be proven by statistics ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Another example of why open carry is a bad idea and discretion could keep you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    4. It is grossly, indisputably unsound from a tactical standpoint. Strategically, it is extremely ill-advised.
    Which could be proven by statistics showing how many more uniformed (OC) police officers are killed and wounded each year by criminals (CC) than there are criminals killed or wounded by police officers. If you can find those numbers from a reliable source (FBI or DOJ) I would love to see them.

If you can't produce evidence to back up that assertion it most certainly is disputable.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by geohans View Post
    Gotta be kidding-- Loughner was political? Loughner was a psychopath. I live in Tucson. There were dozens of chances to stop him in the previous two years. He may not have thought this through, but he was indeed in a gun-free zone-- a place where liberal democrats gather.

The premise of this thread was negated in the second or third response-- the guard was unarmed.

To all who rant about OC vs CC. I would like to respond:

Protect your privacy. Replace Google with IXQUICK at Ixquick Search Engine.

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
    neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
    in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Reports are saying the first victim the Norway shooter popped was an armed security guard. I am only assuming but I feel he targeted the individual because he was armed and he posed a threat to him when he started shooting. I am sure he assessed the situation, identified the open carrier AKA armed security guard as a threat, and put him down first, leaving him wide open to slaughter unarmed civilians.

Bottom line is we are living in a changing world. Mumbai style attacks are common in other places in the world and homegrown muslims and politically unstable alike are letting their political ideology manifest in their pea brains to create violence and terror.

Would you rather be the open carry proponent, strutting like a peacock throughout the crowd, with a false sense of security that you are actually preventing crime by the mere presence of your firearm? Only to be targeted first by the extreme islamic crazy or extreme political crazy who has been sociopathically studying his or her target?

Or would you rather be the discrete sheepdog, blending in with the sheep. Who actually has a chance of defending his or herself from one of these crazed attacks when it begins, not being targeted first due to discretion.

I have discussed this in depth with coworkers and peers and we all have come to the conclusion that is only a matter of time before this type of attack becomes more prevalent due to either religious or political views and the ever sweeping wave of hate around the world. So I would like to discuss it with this group.

My conclusion and opinion is that while open carry is a "right" in some states, ( or should I say a privilege depending on what legal way you look at it), there really is no advantage to doing so in a public, urban or suburban setting where discretion and surprise are your allies in any self defense situation, whether it be a singular attack, or some nut job taking his or her frustrations out on society for one reason or another. I have called open carry, "amateur carry", for a reason and see no self defense use for it outside of rural and wilderness settings. Understandably in states where open carry was the only option, but when concealed carry is an option I just do not see the advantage. I would rather have surprise on my side than a visual deterrent.

Thoughts?
    If your a bad guy, or anyone going into a situation, you'll always take-out, or address the person whose posses the highest level of threat.

Regarding the Tucson shooting - was there ever a determination how many (if any) armed civilians were present?
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Oops - disregard. I found the answer in another thread...
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links