My MWG call

My MWG call

This is a discussion on My MWG call within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from a cross country motorcycle trip. It was extremly hot, upper 90's/100 degrees. More on the highway. My ccw was getting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My MWG call

My MWG call

I just got back from a cross country motorcycle trip. It was extremly hot, upper 90's/100 degrees. More on the highway. My ccw was getting soaked with sweat and was rusting after the first day. Also it was rubbing my side raw. So I went to Open Carry.org.
    I found most of the states I was going through were open carry friendly. I don't usually open carry but it sounded like a good idea.
    Had no problems in Kansas and MO. Had to lock it up in ILL. Went back to open carry in Tenn., N.C. and VA. Open carried around VA Beach,Hamden and Cheasepeake. Headed home. Checked states again. Going great until Salina KS. Wife and I are in IHop eating breakfast. I see a cruiser roll up. I think mabe they have an ordinance about open carry. I untuck my shirt. Officer comes in. Second officer comes in. Officer #1 asks do you have a gun. Yes. Do you have a permit? Yes. Can I see? Yes. Driver license? Yes. You passing through? Yes. Been to a law enforcement motorcycle conference. Officer #1 Enjoy your breakfast. Me "You be safe." The waitress comes up after they leave and asks is every thing ok? I said yes I am legal. When we were leaving the manager came out and apoligised. She said a customer had seen my gun and called. She said he was scared. I said he would have really freaked out if I had been wearing my colors.
    I guess I should of whipped out my cell phone and called a lawyer. LOL
    Sixto, The officer was very polite and just did his job. I got no BS from him. He did not shake my hand though.
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Nice encounter, I have never understood hoplophobes, they see an LEO open carrying and no problem but they see a law-abiding citizen open carrying and they go into a quivering panic.
    jfnixon likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    He did not shake my hand though.
    Where are people's manners these days.

I find myself more willing to be hassled (minor and polite but not always convenient) with OC when there's the extra comfort of OWB in this heat. You said TN and NC, how was the Dragon? It's been 3 years since I was last down that way (and I make it a point to go in the cooler less crowded fall when the leaves are pretty colors).

Glock Certified Armorer

Administrator
    Ya know, I normally would not shake hands on the job... but I did so that time to make a point. Anyway, it sounds as if the cross county motorcycle trip might be more interesting of a story.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    He did not shake my hand though.
    Actually I can understand why no handshake, allowing someone into personal space to shake hands opens one up to a possible attack. Someone with less than honorable intentions could use that as a means pull them down and either disarm or assault them. Nothing against handshakes but for an LEO they must approach things a bit differently.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I was born in Salins Ks and lived there until I moved here about 5 years ago,If I remember right the IHOP is on 9th street by the Central mall unless they opened another one on North 9th and I70.Ks only started CHL licenses about 4-5 years ago,at that time Kathleen Sebelius was Governor and said she would veto any CHL bill,the Senate over rode her Veto.I wasn't aware KS was an OC state,Looks like I''m gonna have to break out my BBQ rig and 1911 nexrt time I go back,Can't wait for the COFWAG call (Crippled Old Fart With A Gun)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Nice encounter, I have never understood hoplophobes, they see an LEO open carrying and no problem but they see a law-abiding citizen open carrying and they go into a quivering panic.
    I think that's called selective, or pseudo-hoplophobia, not to be confused with true/primary hoplophobia.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    These and other stories of LEO encounters recently posted cannot be true and must be discounted at all costs.
    OC and positive LEO encounters in the same post....say it isn't so!

I demand proof in the form of a youtube video with grainy or inaudible cellphone footage to confirm the accusations.

Glad the trip went well. I am so ready to get home and just ride in one direction til I hit water and the turn left and start again. Got to clear the head and clear the heart.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    These and other stories of LEO encounters recently posted cannot be true and must be discounted at all costs.
    OC and positive LEO encounters in the same post....say it isn't so!

I demand proof in the form of a youtube video with grainy or inaudible cellphone footage to confirm the accusations.

Glad the trip went well. I am so ready to get home and just ride in one direction til I hit water and the turn left and start again. Got to clear the head and clear the heart.
    That's might be cool experience.

Law enforcement conference?

What colors?

Only two Cop MCs in CO (can't remember their names) or a church MC. Of course my info is a little dated. I resigned my colors in '02.

Sounds like a typical no brainer MWAG call, just more of an annoyance for the LEO, but they gotta respond. Here's that train the 911 operator to ask the right questions.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Glad to see it went the way it should go. In my experience MOST LEO understand why we carry and agree with it. Normally if they hassle someone about OC they would also hassle them about CC.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like a great experience. :)

Glad it worked out well as it should for legal OC.

When I was on the job I would shake hands if the situation allowed.

I always used a two handed approch with the right hand doing the handshake and the left hand grasping the individuals wrist.

If things went south (and they never did) it is easy to break the wrist of the not nice person from that posistion.

Yeah I carried sanitizer to clean up afterwards .
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Still befuddles me how mentally neutered the bulk of the general public are. They have no sense of a gun just being a piece of metal and if you are sitting down to have pancakes you probably wont shoot up the place after your second cup o joe.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Agreed jwhite. It's as if the only people they trust with guns are the people they routinely accuse of brutality (whether it's real or not).
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links