CC in Rivertown Crossings Mall in Grandville, MI

This is a discussion on CC in Rivertown Crossings Mall in Grandville, MI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am hoping someone on here from Michigan can help me out with this one. I am fairly new to CC and am doing my ...

Thread: CC in Rivertown Crossings Mall in Grandville, MI

I am hoping someone on here from Michigan can help me out with this one. I am fairly new to CC and am doing my best to know where I can and can't carry. I have been at the Rivertown Crossings Mall in Grandville, MI many times and have never seen any "no weapons allowed" signs or anything else. I know you're not allowed to carry in the Theater because of the number of seats, but that's the only place there that I'm aware of. Then I ran across this on the Michigan Coalition of Responsible Gun Owners website:

MCRGO - Do Not Patronize while Armed

The mall is listed on their no-carry list and I can't figure out why. Any ideas??

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Hard to say but it would appear someone saw a sign at that mall, to get on this list of no-carry places. The question then is what is the status of signs in Michigan? Check out handgunlaw.us on this, Gary Slider says this is not settled. Michigan Open Carry says signs in Michigan don't have the force of law, but Gary notes a legal resource that says otherwise. ???
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    Go here for a large percentage of questions you may have..
    This is the MSP Firearms page, which has ALL the facts and rules on Concealed carry.

MSP - Firearms

As far as the MCRGO, Places to avoid list, these are places of business or venues, ( County fairs) and the like.

IF you are outed, by someone in management, and verbally requested to leave, and you do not, they can then call the local authorities, and have YOU cited for trespassing.

Long story short, if you want to carry at the mall, conceal carry, and if outed , leave.

The seating capacity rule is for venues,(arenas), such as concerts, plays ,sporting events which have either a posted seating capacity of 2,500 or more seats, OR a designated venue, (such as the silverdome 80,000,, Palace 20,000+ ETC,,,,,,) which is widely known to seat over the 2,500 rule.

So if you go to say a small outside concert, and there is no obvious sign, you basically have no way to acertain, how many seats it has there , you should be good.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Go here for a large percentage of questions you may have..
    This is the MSP Firearms page, which has ALL the facts and rules on Concealed carry.

MSP - Firearms

As far as the MCRGO, Places to avoid list, these are places of business or venues, ( County fairs) and the like.

IF you are outed, by someone in management, and verbally requested to leave, and you do not, they can then call the local authorities, and have YOU cited for trespassing.

Long story short, if you want to carry at the mall, conceal carry, and if outed , leave.

The seating capacity rule is for venues,(arenas), such as concerts, plays ,sporting events which have either a posted seating capacity of 2,500 or more seats, OR a designated venue, (such as the silverdome 80,000,, Palace 20,000+ ETC,,,,,,) which is widely known to seat over the 2,500 rule.

So if you go to say a small outside concert, and there is no obvious sign, you basically have no way to acertain, how many seats it has there , you should be good.

I don't think it's been officially determined if the 2500 seats have to all be in the same theatre, or just same complex. I don't think most the megaplex theaters individual rooms have that many seats. The Palace and silverdoome, Ford Field, Comerica Park are off limits becasue they are sports arenas. Not sure what would happen if they were holding a quilting show inside the Silverdome and you carried in there, otther than maybe getting wacked in the head by a bunch of grandmas.

Back to the OP's question, I haven't been to that mall, but all they can do if they discover your armed is ask you to leave. If you don't then you could face a trespassing charge.

I have yet to see a sign at any of the entrances there. I carry there, and you are correct on the theater, it is not allowed there.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

None of the entrances are posted, however, if you read the fine print in their rules of conduct it does say "no weapons allowed." That said I always carry when I go there and will continue to do so. In four years of concealed carrying I have yet to see a no weapons sign and I make it a point to look for them, I don't think anybody really cares.

Thank you everyone. I had never seen any signs either.

Links