Headin to SoCal

Headin to SoCal

This is a discussion on Headin to SoCal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey I'm drivin from, essentially, North of Phoenix, AZ to Long Beach, CA. I wanted to bring my H&K, but I don't know what exactly ...

Thread: Headin to SoCal

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Headin to SoCal

Hey I'm drivin from, essentially, North of Phoenix, AZ to Long Beach, CA. I wanted to bring my H&K, but I don't know what exactly I should do with my carry piece once I cross the state line. I have an ammo can I can put it in inside the trunk... what do you guys reccomend?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Just before the Colorado River...

Stop on the Arizona side of the Colorado and unload your gun. Store the empty gun in a case and lock it, then put it in the trunk or the back of the SUV. Store the ammo separately, locked or unlocked.

When you get to where you will be spending the night, such as hotel, friend's house or campsite, you can load the gun and wear it. I recommend concealed, so as not to cause any comment.

Only bring magazines with 10 round or less capacity. Carry a folding knife and/or pepper spray when you are someplace you can't have the gun on you. Keep your doors locked while driving around, especially in Long Beach.

Yeah I knew about the 10 rounds mag law and how to navigate LA. I grew up in Los Angeles. In Torrance in fact. I just wanted to know the best way to have the gun. I don't have a lockable case - would the ammo can suffice? Do I have to inform a police officer whether or not I have the firearm?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Go someplace else, if possible in another state!!!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I lived in SoCal for 15 years. Legally, separate your ammo from gun and put your gun in a zippered case or such and put gun in trunk. Put the magazines in your glove box. For some reason, you are pulled over and they want to search the vehicle, THEN (unless asked prior) let them know you have a unloaded firearm in the trunk.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artz
    I lived in SoCal for 15 years. Legally, separate your ammo from gun and put your gun in a zippered case or such and put gun in trunk. Put the magazines in your glove box. For some reason, you are pulled over and they want to search the vehicle, THEN (unless asked prior) let them know you have a unloaded firearm in the trunk.
    Don't ask, don't tell?

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    Don't ask, don't tell?
    yep

Answer to question

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo
    I don't have a lockable case - would the ammo can suffice? Do I have to inform a police officer whether or not I have the firearm?
    The ammo can is fine in a locked trunk. But if it is inside the passenger compartment you need a lock on the gun case. Lots of cars (SUVs and pickups) don't have trunks these days. The main thing is to separate the gun from the person, so it is not easily within reach.

You don't have to volunteer any information to the police about a gun in the car. If directly asked, it is best to tell the truth. You're legal if the gun is locked out of reach, so you have nothing to fear.

Awesome. You guys rock. Thanks for the prompt replies. I'm leavin here in a few and this is exactly what I was looking for.

I'd never consider lying to a LEO. Creates too many problems. If they ask, they'll know exactly what I have. haha

Again, thanks.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Links