Thoughts

This is a discussion on Thoughts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that the observation that " this cant be happening to me " is a defining moment for most people. The major difference between ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts

Senior Moderator
    I think that the observation that "this cant be happening to me" is a defining moment for most people.

The major difference between one that fails and one that prevails is Mindset.

The average person that does not have the skill,tools, or training to assess the situation and react is set up to fail against an aggressor which already knows exactly what he is about to do.

The above average person that has the proper mindset already has a plan of action before it takes place. He sees and assesses and uses the force that is appropriate for the task at hand. He uses his brain in a way that is totally different and instead of becoming a victim, becomes the aggressor. He then uses the tool in an effective manner and the final act is to use the skill he has aquired in the past to prepare for such a moment.

Such a person is set up to win an encounter unless extraordinary circumstances surround it. It is the very reason that our Special Warfare types in the various militarys train unceasingly and in different and very intense manners.

Of course, one can have the mindset,the tools and the skills to use them and still lose. That is the very reason that gunplay is dangerous and one can never know the outcome until after the fact.

Its an unfortunate fact of life that it can take a near death experience to get the point across to some folks...ecspecially those that pretty much live in an event free lifestyle, where the only difficult situation they may face is getting to work late or getting in an argument with their spouse on occasion.

Some people will get t it, and some people wont...no matter what happens to them. Thats just the way it is.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

kikr, in light of my experiences today, I have some further thoughts to add to your medical analogy.

Went to the range today with a friend. We had a timer with us, and practiced shooting Stage 1 of the IDPA Classifier course of fire. Today, I finally realized that I'm just not the shooter I was even 2-3 years ago, nor will I "recover" to my former skill level. Aging, plus 6 years of fighting Cancer, have put me where I'm at in that regard.

Now, to apply this to self-defense. I must rely less on my "fighting skills" and more on my "preventive actions". It's a bit like one's health--focusing on the preventive things like watching cholestorol, PSA, etc. I must now be even more vigilant, spotting danger and avoiding the fight are more my keys to survival. I am in touch with the fact that I'm just not as strong and agile as before, so need to up the other elements of my self-defense equation!

Thanks, your post and my experiences at the range today have me thinking, and that's good.

Lead Moderator
    This is why we train (or should) so much. react rather than think thru what could/should I do? By the time ya think it thru it's too late.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    kikr, in light of my experiences today, I have some further thoughts to add to your medical analogy.

Went to the range today with a friend. We had a timer with us, and practiced shooting Stage 1 of the IDPA Classifier course of fire. Today, I finally realized that I'm just not the shooter I was even 2-3 years ago, nor will I "recover" to my former skill level. Aging, plus 6 years of fighting Cancer, have put me where I'm at in that regard.

Now, to apply this to self-defense. I must rely less on my "fighting skills" and more on my "preventive actions". It's a bit like one's health--focusing on the preventive things like watching cholestorol, PSA, etc. I must now be even more vigilant, spotting danger and avoiding the fight are more my keys to survival. I am in touch with the fact that I'm just not as strong and agile as before, so need to up the other elements of my self-defense equation!

Thanks, your post and my experiences at the range today have me thinking, and that's good.
    Jimmy, the good news is that your already in the habit of winning. Cancer is a much better fighter than most of the cannibals on the street. Your also already aware of your strengths and weaknesses and are facing them realistically. That puts you about 5 steps ahead of the "competeition already. Good luck!
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links