After a FFT denial, is an appeal required?

This is a discussion on After a FFT denial, is an appeal required? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm new here. Julian, living in Houston, TX. I looked for an appropriate forum to place this, but wasn't sure what was best. Since ...

Thread: After a FFT denial, is an appeal required?

After a FFT denial, is an appeal required?

Hi, I'm new here. Julian, living in Houston, TX. I looked for an appropriate forum to place this, but wasn't sure what was best. Since someone else started a similar thread in here yesterday, I'll follow suit.

I applied for a FFT June 30, trying to buy a LCP. Was denied, and the guy at the gun store told me that the most common thing he sees are people with warrants they'd forgotten about or weren't aware of. So I made a few calls and found I had a 7 year old warrant in Tucumcari, NM for lack of vehicle registration. As that vehicle was in my parent's names (I was 19 and in college) and was totaled 3 years ago, I chose to not fight it and just pay the fine.
    That was taken care of July 5, I waited the two weeks I was told it would take for it to clear, and went back to the gun store. They pointed me to the appeal form on the FBI's website, and this afternoon I received a letter from the Feds stating my denial was for being a fugitive from justice, and would I please give them my fingerprints and wait the 123 days for their backlog to process me?

Given that the reason I was denied no longer stands (was a fugitive from justice but am not one now), and my prints are not in any database so the idea of submitting them "for identification purposes" seems a little silly, do I still need to appeal this, or can I simply reapply for the FFT?

I plan to call the FBI in the morning and say all of this again, I just thought I'd ask here since there are plenty of knowledgeable folks in this forum.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

Just a guess, but I'd say you need to do what is requested to get your name removed from the data base.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Don't you just hate it when things from your past come back to bite you on the butt. Especially minor stuff like that.

Well, don't give up. Our bureaucracy is massive and very frustrating to deal with. May even cost you a few bucks to get things cleared up. Playing phone tag and speaking with a different person each time you call an agency can be maddening. And don't be surprised if it takes twice as long as they tell you to clear their backlog. Keep calling and asking. Take notes and get the names of those you speak with so you can maybe speak with them again if you need to call back. It sucks talking to someone different each time. You always get a different answer.

Moral of the story: Make sure you take care of any minor traffic infractions at the time to the satisfaction of the court. Don't blow it off.

And Welcome Aboard from the Great State of Missouri.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Welcome from Florida!

Sorry...but it looks like you going to have to "play their game". Don't give up! Don't ever give up!
    :Bark'n" had good advice, take names, keep notes, I'm afraid it's going to take some patience.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Moderator
    Given that the reason I was denied no longer stands (was a fugitive from justice but am not one now), and my prints are not in any database so the idea of submitting them "for identification purposes" seems a little silly, do I still need to appeal this, or can I simply reapply for the FFT?
    You are going to have to do EXACTLY what they tell you to do to get cleared.

Forget COMMON SENSE. The Federal Government struck that word from their vocabulary a long time ago. It no longer even exists in their official dictionary.There is no such thing, the few that had it have already retired.

Until what you have on the books is cleared, there is no point in re applying, you'll just keep get getting denied. The people on the other end of the phone have no discretion to deny or approve, they just tell you what they see on a computer.

Get it fixed, then try again.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Moral of the story: Make sure you take care of any minor traffic infractions at the time to the satisfaction of the court. Don't blow it off.
    The really frustrating thing here is that I honestly don't remember getting cited for it not having the proper vehicle registration, because the vehicle was properly registered! I was speeding, I got caught, I paid the fine. If I'd known about this warrant back when I still had the car, I could have contested it much more easily. Heck, if I'd known about this warrant before I'd attempted to purchase the gun, I would have the gun already. Instead I'm waiting until December to be told what I already know.
    Yay bureaucracy!

Anyway, Thanks for the replies. I called them today and it's as you said and as I expected. I'm going to get printed on Monday, and mail them the receipt that shows I paid the warrant. And in the meantime, I'll be practicing with friends and rentals.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Welcome from central Kansas!

Hope you get this issue solved once & for all.

Links