A rant about places you can't carry - Page 2

A rant about places you can't carry

This is a discussion on A rant about places you can't carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by youngda9 In Indiana businesses can no longer ban firearms from worker's vehicles parked on property, it cannot be used as an excuse ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A rant about places you can't carry

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    In Indiana businesses can no longer ban firearms from worker's vehicles parked on property, it cannot be used as an excuse to terminate. We can carry on university propertiey, and we can carry in bars also. The only place I have to worry about is school(K-12) property, and I believe that is Federal law.

Blood is not running down the streets here.

Freedom is Fantastic !!
    The k-12 thing is a fed law, but CHL holders are exempt.. Please do your own research, but in my state and my situation, there is no law preventing me from carrying concealed (or open for that matter) on public K-12 property.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Last time I checked those intent on doing evil with a gun don't obey the "No Guns or Weapons" signs.

If the people you work for don't allow you to carry, quit. If you choose not to quit and are harmed during an incident, sue the company.
    Or carry and risk being justly fired.

You do not have to work for someone and they are not required to employ you.
    But if they do employ you they are obligated to provide a safe work environment.
    varob likes this.

Man California doesn't seem so bad now. Admittedly the hard part is getting the carry permit. I am in the midst of that process, but with the permit I could carry on k-12 grounds, convenient as I teach there.

BigJon

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    In Indiana businesses can no longer ban firearms from worker's vehicles parked on property, it cannot be used as an excuse to terminate. We can carry on university propertiey, and we can carry in bars also. The only place I have to worry about is school(K-12) property, and I believe that is Federal law.

Blood is not running down the streets here.

Freedom is Fantastic !!
    You also gotta worry about courthouses or any building a court is in, government buildings owned by the feds and any building that houses a jail of any kind
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

First of all, just remember that even if your state has a specific law saying you can have a firearm in your car in the parking lot against your employers wishes - beware of at will employment states. They don't need a reason to fire you. Sure, you might be able to fight the fact that you were fired 2 days after they found you had a weapon in your car but you'll have to go to court etc.

For those of us who support our families with our job - , while our employer continues this silly restriction, we have to make a decision that is different for everyone. Is the chance of getting caught and losing my job worth it? Or in the situation would I be worth more to them in life insurance? On the surface it almost seems to go against what many of us believe in - going unarmed and letting a bad guy win. But I carry to protect my family as a whole, and for me at least, the chance of losing my job because someone saw something outweighs the chance of me getting killed because i was unarmed inside my office.

Now we can have concealed is concealed arguments, or arguments that our employer should just grow up and change their rules, etc - and they are all right in some ways. But while no weapons remains the rule...

Obviously you all have to make this decision for yourself, based on your situation.
    Tzadik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by majorwoo View Post
    First of all, just remember that even if your state has a specific law saying you can have a firearm in your car in the parking lot against your employers wishes - beware of at will employment states. They don't need a reason to fire you. Sure, you might be able to fight the fact that you were fired 2 days after they found you had a weapon in your car but you'll have to go to court etc.

For those of us who support our families with our job - , while our employer continues this silly restriction, we have to make a decision that is different for everyone. Is the chance of getting caught and losing my job worth it? Or in the situation would I be worth more to them in life insurance? On the surface it almost seems to go against what many of us believe in - going unarmed and letting a bad guy win. But I carry to protect my family as a whole, and for me at least, the chance of losing my job because someone saw something outweighs the chance of me getting killed because i was unarmed inside my office.

Now we can have concealed is concealed arguments, or arguments that our employer should just grow up and change their rules, etc - and they are all right in some ways. But while no weapons remains the rule...

Obviously you all have to make this decision for yourself, based on your situation.
    My question is why would your employer even know you had a gun in your car? Oklahoma is a right to work state, my employer says no guns, state law says you can't prohibit guns in parking lots.

In the past year we had an employee pistol whipped, and two employees robbed at gunpoint, as well as we found a mobile meth lab, and needles on a regular basis, so I choose to carry always.

The first rule of cc is don't be detected so if you're following that rule no one would know unless you had to pull and/or discharge your firearm in self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Oufan08 View Post
    My question is why would your employer even know you had a gun in your car? Oklahoma is a right to work state, my employer says no guns, state law says you can't prohibit guns in parking lots.

In the past year we had an employee pistol whipped, and two employees robbed at gunpoint, as well as we found a mobile meth lab, and needles on a regular basis, so I choose to carry always.

The first rule of cc is don't be detected so if you're following that rule no one would know unless you had to pull and/or discharge your firearm in self defense.
    Someone jumps you in the parking lot. You shoot them. You're safe but get fired.
    While un/reholstering in the car someone sees you through the window.
    Your car catches on fire in the parking lot.
    (random examples)

You're right, like I said concealed is concealed by some people. But those people usually advocate carrying it into the office - after all, concealed is concealed right?

If your in a right to work state AND your state has a law allowing them in the parking lot them you have nothing at all to worry about. I was referring to someone in a at will state who doesn't have that luxury.

I am lucky to work some where that provides gun lockers just inside the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Oufan08 View Post
    The Oklahoma Self Defense Act states:

No employer or private property owner can prevent you from storing a firearm in your car. Also the ghostbusters no gun signs aren't legal in the sense that if your gun is detected they can only ask you to leave and only if you refuse then they can charge you with trespassing and that's all.
    God Bless Oklahoma

Just remember, criminal and thugs don't obey the no firearms signs and policies.

Wait, what does that make a person who carries even though the company they work for has signs or policies against it?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Man California doesn't seem so bad now. Admittedly the hard part is getting the carry permit.
    I live in Indiana...I am just shaking my head reading this. I guess it all depends on your viewpoint.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by majorwoo View Post
    If your in a right to work state AND your state has a law allowing them in the parking lot them you have nothing at all to worry about. I was referring to someone in a at will state who doesn't have that luxury.
    I think you're mixing two different things, right to work is a union law stating that Union membership cannot be a condition of employment. It bars you from being forced to pay union dues just to work somewhere. Oklahoma is an at will employer state, you can be fired without cause here.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I would like to follow up on one aspect of this discussion, restaurants, and in particular does a place where alcohol is purchased and consume mean the bar area or the whole facility? Of course this state dependent and in my particular case I am referring to NC. According to NC law (per handgunlaw.us):
    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    However, from a latter portion of the NC pdf, it says NO on restaurants that server alcohol, but then right below it says:
    What is defined as carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol is a place like Friday’s or Red Lobster. This may or may not mean the bar or the bar area of a restaurant. But you can carry your firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol and sit and eat. Handgunlaw.us recommends you not sit at the Bar or in the Bar area of such restaurants.
    This seems contradictory to me. When I was in the CC class, the instructor pointed said that he carries in restaurants, even though you were technically not supposed to and said "if you see me in there, don't call me out and I won't call you out either." This leads me to believe that the official answer is that restaurants are for the most part off limits or does this mean that just the bar area is off limits?

I agree it is really vague in Oklahoma law as well, it essentially say you can carry in low point beer and alcohol establishments and resturaunts as long as the sale of said drinks does not constitute the primary purpose of said business. So what determines that?

In the service we have uniform restrictions, we can't wear our uniform into a bar, and traditionally are given the 51% of the menu or greater must be food rule. Should we assume similar for handgun carry?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links